U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 06:04 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,033,834 times

Advertisements

Young people, music, culture, and things to do describes certain neighborhoods in every major city in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 06:11 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,248,572 times
Doesn't exist. No place warm in the U.S. has similar levels of educational attainment, or similar wealth over an equivalent area.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:48 AM

7 posts, read 6,086 times
Thank you very much everyone for all of the replies. I wasn't expecting so many in such a short period of time haha. I'm taking all suggestions into consideration, and then will probably post a narrowed down list.

(Thank you CaseyB for moving the post)

Old 09-09-2014, 11:50 AM

2,438 posts, read 4,224,214 times
I lived between Boston and Worcester for a few years, and now live near Portland, OR. I thought it felt similar. Winters aren't as frigid, but the cost of living has been going up here. I don't know how the two cities compare now.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:55 AM

7 posts, read 6,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
I lived between Boston and Worcester for a few years, and now live near Portland, OR. I thought it felt similar. Winters aren't as frigid, but the cost of living has been going up here. I don't know how the two cities compare now.
I've considered Portland, OR but I don't know if I could deal with all of that rain. It averages around 300+ days of rain/clouds a year correct?

Old 09-10-2014, 01:40 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,224,214 times
Something like that, but it isn't "300 days of rain", it's 300 days during which there might be some rain for a little while, then some sun, maybe fog in the morning, drizzle off and on for a few hours, then more sun, etc. We actually get less rain, i.e. volume of water, than many other cities, it's just spread out over 9 months. Thunderstorms & blizzards are extremely rare, and it hardly rains at all during the summer, which is also blessedly not humid.

We do get a lot of cloudy days, and SAD is a real problem for some people. But many of us thrive here.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:49 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,048,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapplesandwine View Post
I currently live about 35 minutes from the city in a suburb, and I'm looking to relocate somewhere warmer, but my hang up is I enjoy the things Boston/Cambridge/Somerville etc have to offer. Tons of live music, lots of young people, cool and trendy bars/restaurants, easily bikeable (to some degree).

The things I could do without: Sky-high rent, a-hole attitude that many Bostonians have, ridiculous traffic/street layout.

Does a place like Boston exist anywhere else in the US? My first guesses would be LA (too expensive) or Portland, OR (too rainy and wet)

I'm basically looking for paradise here. Warm or hot (I like having seasons but I just really hate freezing cold, wet, winters) lots of young people, lots of culture, music (music is important. I like being able to travel 30 minutes to see everything from a huge popular band to smaller, local artists, as well as being close to large festivals like Boston Calling) arts, fun local activities, and inexpensive in comparison to Boston.

Has anyone relocated from Boston to somewhere similar? Or does anyone live somewhere similar currently?
Help! Thanks in advance for all of your recommendations
As someone who grew up in North Providence and has lived all over the US, I can assure that the only warmer weather cities in which you'll most likely be content are in CA (i.e., LA, SD, SF, SJ, & Sacramento). All of those cities are bustling, eclectic, diverse, creative cities with lots of young people, huge local art and music scenes, plenty of fun local activities and festivals, gorgeous scenery, and generally mild weather.

People in CA are friendlier, more gregarious, and more approachable than people in New England, but more aloof and much less intrusive than people in the South and parts of the Midwest. Aside from maybe San Francisco, very few people in CA have what I would describe as an elitist attitude.

In addition to being very progressive, the West Coast is largely secular, too, which many New Englanders enjoy. In CA, no one cares what religion you are, no one is going to invite you to their church, and no one is going to tell you that you need to be saved. FWIW, I was raised in a Roman Catholic household and attended Roman Catholic schools growing up, and even I found the Evangelical Christian element of the Deep South too alien and too pervasive for my liking.

The catch is that most of CA is much more expensive than the rest of the US, but after all my years of living in different cities and states, I've learned that expensive places are usually worth it. However, since you're coming from Boston, you'll find most of CA to be a wash with regard to COL. Auto insurance, property taxes, produce, entertainment, and parking are less expensive here, generally speaking. No property tax on vehicles, either.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:32 AM

119 posts, read 112,221 times
Dallas!

Alpha city like Boston.
Tons of colleges like Boston
4 Major Sport Teams like Boston
Public Transportation that extends 70 miles like Boston
Bars and Clubs close at 2am like Boston
Close Houston/Austin like Boston is close to NYC/Hartford

Warmer weather during the winter unlike Boston!

Old 09-11-2014, 11:56 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,033,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
As someone who grew up in North Providence and has lived all over the US, I can assure that the only warmer weather cities in which you'll most likely be content are in CA (i.e., LA, SD, SF, SJ, & Sacramento). All of those cities are bustling, eclectic, diverse, creative cities with lots of young people, huge local art and music scenes, plenty of fun local activities and festivals, gorgeous scenery, and generally mild weather.

People in CA are friendlier, more gregarious, and more approachable than people in New England, but more aloof and much less intrusive than people in the South and parts of the Midwest. Aside from maybe San Francisco, very few people in CA have what I would describe as an elitist attitude.

In addition to being very progressive, the West Coast is largely secular, too, which many New Englanders enjoy. In CA, no one cares what religion you are, no one is going to invite you to their church, and no one is going to tell you that you need to be saved. FWIW, I was raised in a Roman Catholic household and attended Roman Catholic schools growing up, and even I found the Evangelical Christian element of the Deep South too alien and too pervasive for my liking.

The catch is that most of CA is much more expensive than the rest of the US, but after all my years of living in different cities and states, I've learned that expensive places are usually worth it. However, since you're coming from Boston, you'll find most of CA to be a wash with regard to COL. Auto insurance, property taxes, produce, entertainment, and parking are less expensive here, generally speaking. No property tax on vehicles, either.
Except you in the Phoenix forum.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:22 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,717,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Something like that, but it isn't "300 days of rain", it's 300 days during which there might be some rain for a little while, then some sun, maybe fog in the morning, drizzle off and on for a few hours, then more sun, etc. We actually get less rain, i.e. volume of water, than many other cities, it's just spread out over 9 months. Thunderstorms & blizzards are extremely rare, and it hardly rains at all during the summer, which is also blessedly not humid.

We do get a lot of cloudy days, and SAD is a real problem for some people. But many of us thrive here.
It was this year though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or