Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 03:24 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stizz44 View Post
Dallas!

Alpha city like Boston.
Tons of colleges like Boston
4 Major Sport Teams like Boston
Public Transportation that extends 70 miles like Boston
Bars and Clubs close at 2am like Boston
Close Houston/Austin like Boston is close to NYC/Hartford

Warmer weather during the winter unlike Boston!
Lol, Boston doesn't have ice storms or wind sheers in the winter like Dallas. No tornadoes, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 06:36 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,024,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
... it hardly rains at all during the summer, which is also blessedly not humid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
It was this year though!
No, it really wasn't. It was hotter and more humid than a typical Portland summer, but still nothing like what I experience when I visit my family in Southside Virginia.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:00 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,167,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapplesandwine View Post
I currently live about 35 minutes from the city in a suburb, and I'm looking to relocate somewhere warmer, but my hang up is I enjoy the things Boston/Cambridge/Somerville etc have to offer. Tons of live music, lots of young people, cool and trendy bars/restaurants, easily bikeable (to some degree).

The things I could do without: Sky-high rent, a-hole attitude that many Bostonians have, ridiculous traffic/street layout.

Does a place like Boston exist anywhere else in the US? My first guesses would be LA (too expensive) or Portland, OR (too rainy and wet)

I'm basically looking for paradise here. Warm or hot (I like having seasons but I just really hate freezing cold, wet, winters) lots of young people, lots of culture, music (music is important. I like being able to travel 30 minutes to see everything from a huge popular band to smaller, local artists, as well as being close to large festivals like Boston Calling) arts, fun local activities, and inexpensive in comparison to Boston.

Has anyone relocated from Boston to somewhere similar? Or does anyone live somewhere similar currently?
Help! Thanks in advance for all of your recommendations

I know it's getting crowed, but what about Atlanta, Georgia?

Old 09-12-2014, 09:00 AM

7 posts, read 7,449 times
Quote:
Something like that, but it isn't "300 days of rain", it's 300 days during which there might be some rain for a little while, then some sun, maybe fog in the morning, drizzle off and on for a few hours, then more sun, etc. We actually get less rain, i.e. volume of water, than many other cities, it's just spread out over 9 months. Thunderstorms & blizzards are extremely rare, and it hardly rains at all during the summer, which is also blessedly not humid.

We do get a lot of cloudy days, and SAD is a real problem for some people. But many of us thrive here.

Clouds/rain seem to affect me a lot, mood-wise. I have a friend planning on moving to Portland in November though, so thankfully I'll have an excuse to visit and get a feel for the place. Thanks for your replies!

Old 09-12-2014, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
I know it's getting crowed, but what about Atlanta, Georgia?

I haven't looked into Atlanta much. I had a friend that lived there for a long time when he was a producer and he really loved it, but that was also 10+ years ago. Have you ever lived there/ do you currently live there?

Old 09-15-2014, 08:51 AM

119 posts, read 147,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Lol, Boston doesn't have ice storms or wind sheers in the winter like Dallas. No tornadoes, either.

Your right about that! No ice storms or heavy wind just a annual average of about 54 inches of snow per winter.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:43 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapplesandwine View Post
I haven't looked into Atlanta much. I had a friend that lived there for a long time when he was a producer and he really loved it, but that was also 10+ years ago. Have you ever lived there/ do you currently live there?
I lived in Atlanta for less than a year, and I hated it.

For me personally, Atlanta was just too Southern. Even though people say Atlanta is where a bunch of Nor'easters and Florida halfbacks go for bigger/newer/cheaper housing, I disagree. Atlanta, especially in the suburban and exurban areas, is very backwards. When I lived there 10 years ago, it was still far too religious and socially conservative for my liking, up to and including the City of Atlanta itself, despite what ATL homers will have you believe. Natives down there don't particularly care for Yankees, either.

If any of that matters, we have none of those issues in California, which has a classic live-and-let-live West Coast vibe--very casual; polite (e.g., you'll rarely hear a car horn here, despite the sheer volume of traffic/cars on the road); progressive/open-minded; tolerant, even if not approving; and although people can seem aloof, they are usually pleasant if you talk first. Unlike present-day Georgia, most people in California are--believe it or not--from California, and no one out here cares where you're from, what religion you are, or who you sleep with.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
I lived in Atlanta for less than a year, and I hated it.

For me personally, Atlanta was just too Southern. Even though people say Atlanta is where a bunch of Nor'easters and Florida halfbacks go for bigger/newer/cheaper housing, I disagree. Atlanta, especially in the suburban and exurban areas, is very backwards. When I lived there 10 years ago, it was still far too religious and socially conservative for my liking, up to and including the City of Atlanta itself, despite what ATL homers will have you believe. Natives down there don't particularly care for Yankees, either.

If any of that matters, we have none of those issues in California, which has a classic live-and-let-live West Coast vibe--very casual; polite (e.g., you'll rarely hear a car horn here, despite the sheer volume of traffic/cars on the road); progressive/open-minded; tolerant, even if not approving; and although people can seem aloof, they are usually pleasant if you talk first. Unlike present-day Georgia, most people in California are--believe it or not--from California, and no one out here cares where you're from, what religion you are, or who you sleep with.

That was my concern with Atlanta too. Are there ANY affordable places in Cali? Preferably places where I don't have to compromise safety for price.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:37 AM

Has anyone lived in/visited St. Petersburg FL?

Old 09-16-2014, 05:38 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,930 times
Quote:
No, it really wasn't. It was hotter and more humid than a typical Portland summer, but still nothing like what I experience when I visit my family in Southside Virginia.
I guess it's all relative, compared to Virginia yeah it's dry. But no way was it good weather this summer. I was miserable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.