U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 02:58 PM

867 posts, read 1,087,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No, no the Jersey Devil is an urban legend. He/it apparently lives in the woods of the Pinelands. There are certain towns in south Jersey where he is said to reside. Some people go looking for him down there. It's the inspiration for the name of the hockey team.
I thought that was just some kinda corny joke...I used to visit my great grandmother in Clayton, NJ and there was a grave yard at the back of that neighborhood where people would say the Devil could be seen standing on peoples headstones at night, chasing people who came by the graveyard and stuff like that...I didn't know it was supposed to be a big "thing" throughout Jersey ...so that's why the Hockey team uses the Devil, huh...interesting. Is there anything else other than the team...any statues and stuff like the Neptune or Phoenix statues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 03:04 PM

867 posts, read 1,087,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Does Omar from The Wire count?
LMAO!!!!Nah yo. Yall would be better off with lil Mike anyway.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:35 PM

12,651 posts, read 10,497,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
I thought that was just some kinda corny joke...I used to visit my great grandmother in Clayton, NJ and there was a grave yard at the back of that neighborhood where people would say the Devil could be seen standing on peoples headstones at night, chasing people who came by the graveyard and stuff like that...I didn't know it was supposed to be a big "thing" throughout Jersey ...so that's why the Hockey team uses the Devil, huh...interesting. Is there anything else other than the team...any statues and stuff like the Neptune or Phoenix statues?
I'm not sure that's the same thing you're talking about, but it could be. It's an urban legend, a thing we all pretty much know about. The Jersey Devil. There's variations to the story behind his origin but they all have the same idea - it's said that he was the 13th child born on the 13th day of the month (what month, I'm not sure) sometime in the 1700 or 1800s I believe and that when he was born he was a half horse-like creature with wings, grew quickly, and flew off into the night. I'm not sure if this myth is based on an actual family, because there is a specific family he apparently belonged to but I forget the last name, and was a spin on a real person or if it's completely made up. It's known to most residents but those who take it seriously or actually look for him are into the supernatural, Weird New Jersey (a pretty cool magazine) types of people. It's not like we all believe he exists and that we all go looking for him in the Pinelands of South Jersey but it's just a thing - a NJ thing I guess. Do we have statues of him? No... that would be very corny, I think, haha. There are drawings and stuff you can find that people have made of him, though, if you look online.

It's more something that is talked about, the story passed down and discussed among school children, and of course was the inspiration for the name of our hockey team. I remember when I was a child I was very afraid of the Jersey Devil, especially because we vacationed in Cape May and you drive through the Pinelands to get there, but of course that's now changed and I don't believe the myth.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:25 AM

4,060 posts, read 4,462,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
No, no the Jersey Devil is an urban legend. He/it apparently lives in the woods of the Pinelands. There are certain towns in south Jersey where he is said to reside. Some people go looking for him down there. It's the inspiration for the name of the hockey team.
Perhaps dating myself, but the X-files did an episode on the myth of the Jersey devil: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jer...l_(The_X-Files)

Old 09-10-2014, 11:34 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,033,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Phoenix's is the Atlanta rising from the ashes...

Old 09-10-2014, 01:17 PM

21,318 posts, read 21,881,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Rhinelander WI and the Hodag?

OP was asking about mythological creatures, The Hodag exists as I saw it staring at me from the edge of the campsite minding my own business while drinking tequilla. It looked just like this one...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../The_hodag.jpg

Old 09-10-2014, 01:27 PM

2,438 posts, read 4,224,214 times
There's a statue of Paul Bunyan here in Portland, but he isn't an official city mascot or symbol.

Old 09-10-2014, 02:35 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,152,919 times
Rocky Balboa in many ways is a fictional character often identified with Philadelphia. In many ways has similarities to the way the city is viewed though believe some of that is changing.

He even has a statue at the base of the Philadelphia Art Museum steps, visitors and tourists line up to have their picture taken and run up the art museum steps every day

https://www.google.com/search?q=rock...w=1280&bih=899

Old 09-10-2014, 02:47 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,152,919 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFHo1oPiJg0

even Canadian appeal among hockey players apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=632hVDL_N6w

Old 09-10-2014, 04:32 PM

8,452 posts, read 11,434,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
I can see how Bacchus fits Vegas. God of wine associated with orgies/ what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. I see they have a few statues around a few Vegas hotel. Strange enough though they have a Bacchanalian Festival in Key West FLA.

Venus and Hollywood?

...ok... sex,love?,beauty,enticement,seduction I guess I can see that, is this official?
No, not official

How about the Pacific Northwest and Bigfoot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or