U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 06:52 AM

867 posts, read 1,088,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Rhinelander WI and the Hodag?
It appears that there are statues and festivals so I would say that is something...it looks as though this is an American made mythological creature too? Im not sure how that speaks to the character of Rhinelander WI, but it is interesting though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
There's a statue of Paul Bunyan here in Portland, but he isn't an official city mascot or symbol.
Now THAT fits my idea of the PNW.LOL. Paul Bunyan, maybe that's where some hipsters stole their style from. He seems to be present in alot of wooded places where lumberjack culture is present. American folklore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
No, not official

How about the Pacific Northwest and Bigfoot?
I knew someone was gonna say that...that's kinda close the legend of the Sasquatch I guess would be indigenous folklore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'm not sure that's the same thing you're talking about, but it could be. It's an urban legend, a thing we all pretty much know about. The Jersey Devil. There's variations to the story behind his origin but they all have the same idea - it's said that he was the 13th child born on the 13th day of the month (what month, I'm not sure) sometime in the 1700 or 1800s I believe and that when he was born he was a half horse-like creature with wings, grew quickly, and flew off into the night. I'm not sure if this myth is based on an actual family, because there is a specific family he apparently belonged to but I forget the last name, and was a spin on a real person or if it's completely made up. It's known to most residents but those who take it seriously or actually look for him are into the supernatural, Weird New Jersey (a pretty cool magazine) types of people. It's not like we all believe he exists and that we all go looking for him in the Pinelands of South Jersey but it's just a thing - a NJ thing I guess. Do we have statues of him? No... that would be very corny, I think, haha. There are drawings and stuff you can find that people have made of him, though, if you look online.

It's more something that is talked about, the story passed down and discussed among school children, and of course was the inspiration for the name of our hockey team. I remember when I was a child I was very afraid of the Jersey Devil, especially because we vacationed in Cape May and you drive through the Pinelands to get there, but of course that's now changed and I don't believe the myth.
deep, JerseyGirl...so Jersey is associated with the Devil, great!

Old 09-11-2014, 07:14 AM

LMAO @ kidphilly...give it 1000 more years and Rocky Balboa might qualify...good try though, we all know about Rocky. There is a lot of wishful allegory in that story though...growing up it was interesting to see how people interpreted those stories for those times it was created.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:14 PM

12,698 posts, read 10,514,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
No, not "THE" Devil, as in the biblical one who resides in Hell. Did you google the myth yourself?

No one in NJ connects our mythical devil-creature to THE devil. It's not the same thing. The Jersey Devil is usually depicted as a horse-like creature with wings who scares people in the pineys, rather than some hellish creature living in rings of fire. I guess the name is just unfortunate.

And there's no true representative of it in NJ like you ask for. No statues or anything like that, it's more of an urban legend. The biggest connection anyone could recognize is the hockey team - whose mascot is not the Jersey Devil but a rather generic devil, so even for that the name of the team was an "inspiration" more than a direct reference.

Old 09-12-2014, 06:55 PM

29,946 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Dallas and Pegasus

Old 09-12-2014, 07:17 PM

2,959 posts, read 3,821,780 times
Seattle, named after Native American Chief Si'ahl. Chief Si'ahl ruled the Pacific Norhtwest with an iron fist, demolishing other tribes single-handedly with his legendary spear, The Doombringer.

... Or maybe he was a wise and cooperative chief who advocated for tolerance and peace. Either way, I like to imagine Chief Si'ahl as some epic warrior.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:17 PM

273 posts, read 349,193 times
Pamola, the winged moose god. - Maine

Old 09-15-2014, 09:01 PM

6,489 posts, read 16,164,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
The Jersey Devil is a creature. It's not Satan/Lucifer/the Devil.

Just like the Tasmanian Devil is an animal, not Satan
Just like a Dirt Devil is a vacuum, not Satan
just like deviled eggs are eggs, not Satan.

Jersey Devil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-16-2014, 02:03 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,750,956 times

Because of its huge iron and steel manufacturing, Birmingham adopted Vulcan, the Roman god of the forge as its mascot.

So we put up this colossal iron statue that overlooks the city from atop Red Mountain. Of course, the people on the southern side of Red Mountain get to see Vulcan's uncovered buttocks, hence the phrase "Moon Over Homewood."

Here's the rest if you want to learn more:

Vulcan statue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-17-2014, 07:58 AM

Yes ladies, I know, I was joking about the NJ Devil.

The funny thing is, according to yalls links it does say that this character is said to be the child of a supposed witch (Mother Leeds) and fathered by THE Devil soooo...

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 09-17-2014 at 08:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or