U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2014, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 1,315 times

Advertisements

I am a senior in college and I am just starting to think about where I am going to live when I finish college. I currently attend college at a top 50 university (I won't mention the name but it's considered a "Public Ivy"). My degree is in B.A. U.S. History. I have no clue what city/state/region to look at so I was hoping you could guide me based on my needs.

Economy: I obviously want to move somewhere that has jobs. The four areas I am hoping to work in (in not particular order) are government, journalism/publishing/marketing/PR, teaching, or finance jobs.

Crime: As long as the whole city isn't a cesspool of crime and there are large pockets of safe neighborhoods I can deal with it. Obviously the lower the better but I know nowhere is perfect.

Weather: I can deal with hot weather in the late spring, summer and early fall, but heat and humidity all-year round is not to my liking. I can deal with overcast and rain if a city with that type of weather satisfies my other needs.

Personality: If any of you know of MBTI types I am an ISTJ, which means I am introverted, follow orders, meticulous, and serious. I can't stand hippie or stoner culture and my idea of activities are going to watch a game of football, going to a bar (not a club as I hate the places!), going to the cinema, or going to an alt-rock gig. I have people who are loud and obnoxious, and would prefer to move to a city where there are few of those types (if that's possible).

Politics: I am a Democrat but I wouldn't say I am a left-wing Democrat. I am quite right-wing in certain policy areas. For example, I am pro-choice and believe same-sex marriage should be legalized (and performed at the discretion of individual churches), however, I am pro-Israel and believe that marijuana should not be legalized (I am open to legalizing it for medicinal purposes, however). I don't want to move somewhere that is too left-wing (e.g. San Francisco) but I don't want to move to a conservative haven (e.g. Oklahoma City).

Religion: I am not affiliated with any religion but would consider myself as being from a "non-practicing" Christian family.

Other/misc:
* Public transport would be necessary; a bus service at the very least (I can't drive YET).
* I am single and looking to date women whom are educated and family-orientated.

Anything else you need to know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 10:35 AM

5,722 posts, read 3,673,850 times
Fellow ISTJ-er here!

I'm thinking the Washington, D.C. area would be a great fit for you. Perhaps not the city itself, due to your desire for some peace and quiet; but rather some of its close-in suburbs. The two areas that I would recommend focusing on would be Montgomery County, MD and Arlington County, VA. Specifically, areas that are close to the Metro (subway)'s Red and Orange lines, respectively.

The economy in this area is very good, thanks largely to the presence of the Federal Government. Obviously, if you're looking for a job in government, this is a good area for that. The other types of jobs you mentioned are also available; check not only with the governments (Federal, State, and Local) but also with the government contractors that abound here.

As for weather, it gets hot and humid here during the summer (though the summer now ending has been quite nice). Winters can be cold, but not too severe. Spring and fall are delightful, albeit too short.

You will find plenty of serious, ambitious people here; and you will find the activities you mentioned. There are those who I think are too ambitious, to the point of being obnoxious; but I would imagine you could find people to your liking.

The area is an odd mix of transient and family-friendly. Lots of people come from somewhere else, lured by the job opportunities; but many of them will eventually put roots down and start families here. You will find every religion and no religion here.

Politically, the area as a whole is predominantly liberal Democrat. This is particularly true in Montgomery County. If you enjoy living in a Nanny State, with speed cameras everywhere and in-state tuition for illegal immigrants at the community college and taxes on everything, including plastic bags, then you will feel right at home there. (As you may be able to tell from my phraseology, I'm not a huge fan of the place.) On a more serious note, these types of things may or may not matter to you. If you tend towards the apolitical, you could probably ignore them. Just be aware that this is not a "live and let live" kind of place, in terms of the government's role in your life. In terms of statewide politics, Maryland leans much more to the left; Virginia is rather more conservative.

And finally, the public transportation is very extensive and, despite what you may hear, really quite good. The Metro is a showpiece subway (though they do have a bit of work to do in terms of service reliability), and the bus systems cover a lot of ground and run frequently. Metrobus covers both Arlington and Montgomery (as well as D.C. proper and other suburban areas); Montgomery is also served by Ride On.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 09-09-2014, 11:38 AM

4,278 posts, read 6,367,178 times
Do not discount NYC. It has many of the types of jobs you would be interested in, especially finance and banking, politics, media, and a huge non-profit sector, plus it meets all the other criteria on your list--moderate four-season weather, Democratic politics, best mass transit in the country, and any and all forms of entertainment you could ask for.

People often get scared away by housing costs, but the area can actually be affordable for a young single person, especially if you get a roommate or live by yourself in a safe, non-trendy area outside of Brooklyn and Manhattan. (There are plenty in Queens, the Bronx, and New Jersey, for example.) You don't want to be in party central anyway.

And yes, DC is also a good choice. I agree that you should look there.

But realistically, find the job first, adjust to wherever it is, and then when you have some experience under your belt, move somewhere else if you don't like where you are.

Good luck!

Old 09-09-2014, 03:23 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,847,288 times
With your degree, more wherever you can find a frickin' job. Wash DC might be good, but cost of living is high as butt.

Shoot for a state capitol somewhere with lower cost of living. Try Frankfort, KY or someplace similar.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:52 AM

56,829 posts, read 81,169,050 times
Denver may be another option due to being a state capital and it has the second highest rate of Federal Government employment in the country. It doesn't fit everything, but it fits much/most of the criteria.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:13 AM

4,635 posts, read 3,983,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Do not discount NYC. It has many of the types of jobs you would be interested in, especially finance and banking, politics, media, and a huge non-profit sector, plus it meets all the other criteria on your list--moderate four-season weather, Democratic politics, best mass transit in the country, and any and all forms of entertainment you could ask for.

People often get scared away by housing costs, but the area can actually be affordable for a young single person, especially if you get a roommate or live by yourself in a safe, non-trendy area outside of Brooklyn and Manhattan. (There are plenty in Queens, the Bronx, and New Jersey, for example.) You don't want to be in party central anyway.

And yes, DC is also a good choice. I agree that you should look there.

But realistically, find the job first, adjust to wherever it is, and then when you have some experience under your belt, move somewhere else if you don't like where you are.

Good luck!
Bingo...it is easier to get a job with experience, especially with a history degree (I know as a fellow history major), than just moving someplace and trying to find a job with no experience. It also gives you time to find out what you want and conduct research.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,315 times
Thank you for your suggestions!

Yes, getting a job is imperative but it would be nice to know what cities to look for said jobs in I like the sound of D.C. the most!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or