Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 04:18 PM

287 posts, read 549,054 times

Advertisements

What were some of your craziest traffic jam experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 07:12 PM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
I was driving up the Sea to Sky Highway north of Vancouver, BC heading up to Whistler while they were reconstructing it in preparation for the 2010 Olympics. Traffic was stalled while they were doing some blasting. The car in front of us had loud music blasting and all four girls got out of the car and started dancing on the road while we waited. There were cars behind us where guys were cat calling and honking their horns at the chics that were dancing. Entertainment while sitting in traffic makes it much more barable to endure.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:02 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
I was driving Parkway South down to Cape May, NJ one summer when undercover police cars started weaving in and out of the lanes, in "S" motions across the highway, to completely stop traffic. Suddenly, a truck (like an SUV) came up the right lane and swerved off the highway straight into the grass, driving for a few more feet before stopping. Three undercover black Suburbans followed it into the grass and agents got out with guns pointed at the car. They had on DEA vests and were arresting someone, the person who drove onto the grass, right in front of the traffic after they stopped it. I guess they were tailing this car. It was insane, I'd never seen anything like it before and haven't again. It was also kind of scary, I couldn't wait until they let us start driving again.

Old 09-10-2014, 03:21 AM

Wow, that's crazy!

Old 09-10-2014, 03:27 AM

2 posts, read 1,666 times
I live in the bay area, whose traffic jam rating just surpassed L.A. yesterday I tried to take my mother to San Francisco airport and due to accidents Adobe, it took 2.5 hours! That's an hour longer than expected with standard delays... ugh

Old 09-10-2014, 03:45 AM

^That sounds like a nightmare.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:31 AM

27,169 posts, read 43,857,618 times
When moving from Philadelphia to Florida in my rental van towing a car a few years ago I thought I had missed the rush hour in DC which generally starts around 3pm on I-95 headed south from the Beltway. That would be a nope...it took nearly three hours to go the 95 miles from the I-95/I-495/I-395 interchange south of DC down to Richmond with two intermittently yowling cats to add to the festivities. The first 30 miles or so consisted of creeping slowly or sitting at a complete stop. This was on a random Thursday and cannot imagine what a Friday could be like!

Old 09-10-2014, 07:18 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times
I thought about detailing stories of being stuck in traffic with the gas light on or the lovely trips down the PA Turnpike, but I figured that nothing would stand against a poster that has been in the winter highway disasters and stuck for days.

The Worst Traffic Jams In History - Forbes

Old 09-10-2014, 02:11 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I was driving Parkway South down to Cape May, NJ one summer when undercover police cars started weaving in and out of the lanes, in "S" motions across the highway, to completely stop traffic. Suddenly, a truck (like an SUV) came up the right lane and swerved off the highway straight into the grass, driving for a few more feet before stopping. Three undercover black Suburbans followed it into the grass and agents got out with guns pointed at the car. They had on DEA vests and were arresting someone, the person who drove onto the grass, right in front of the traffic after they stopped it. I guess they were tailing this car. It was insane, I'd never seen anything like it before and haven't again. It was also kind of scary, I couldn't wait until they let us start driving again.
Had a similar experience on the NJ Turnpike around exit 9

Many police cars came up both the car and truck lanes, traffic was stopped and the car was stopped forecably and cops came from everywhere with guns drawn. I was two cars back of where it was stopped, quite a scene.

Was very efficient in that even a flat bed tow truck was coordinated.

Within 5 minutes traffic was moving, car being loaded onto the tow truck and whoever was apprehended

was surreal in a way by remarkable in efficiency

This year got stuck on 95 for a Pres motorcade

In terms of Traffic the NJ turnpike on holiday weekends is known to generate 20-30 mile backups - ugh

Old 09-10-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
When moving from Philadelphia to Florida in my rental van towing a car a few years ago I thought I had missed the rush hour in DC which generally starts around 3pm on I-95 headed south from the Beltway. That would be a nope...it took nearly three hours to go the 95 miles from the I-95/I-495/I-395 interchange south of DC down to Richmond with two intermittently yowling cats to add to the festivities. The first 30 miles or so consisted of creeping slowly or sitting at a complete stop. This was on a random Thursday and cannot imagine what a Friday could be like!
I definitely know the feeling that is about the yowling cats, lol! Definitely not music to the ear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.