Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:03 PM

72,958 posts, read 62,547,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
You don't have to have a bus stop to be un-rural. Cobb County didn't receive bus service until 1988, and most of the county was suburban well before that date.

I will admit that there are some patches of undeveloped land in Paulding County, even in the eastern portions, but that's mostly what they are "patches". The same can be found in parts of west Cobb, though less so. You have by far more land covered with subdivisions than you do undeveloped land. Don't believe me. Fly in over Paulding County, descending into Hartsfield, and it's clearly obvious. You can easily see the dividing line of rural and suburban, whereby housing and other development creep in over the previous rural landscape, starting at around the west side of Dallas. It is that noticeable.
There are alot more subdivisions that before, but it still feels very rural compared to Cobb County. I live in northern Cobb County, Kennesaw specifically, and very near to the university. The part of Paulding County my parents live in, it is in the south portion of the county. I used the bus stop to make a comparison between where I currently live and where I once lived.

As for crime, I personally have been harrassed in Paulding County and have been victimized before. This is my personal experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I'm white and live in the ghetto of New Orleans.

I grew up in a nice suburban subdivision, and had Uzis pulled on me and my little sister and babysitter when I was 8 years old. By white people.

I've had a knife held to my throat "as a joke". By a white person.

I am currently recovering from a wreck that was a road rage chase where I was running from a drunk white guy.

Other than my mom being mugged once in a downtown mall, and a friend having a gun pulled on him while delivering pizza in a not-so-great neighborhood, none of my white friends or family have ever been the victim of black-on-white crime, with the exception of petty theft.

White-on-white crime generally differs from black-on-black crime here in that it's more spontaneous. Most murders here, and yes, there are a lot, are the result of long-running feuds in which, for fear or whatever reason, nobody would sit down and work out their differences, they instead brought a gun to a shouting match.

I think you'll find similar characteristics when researching the different racial characteristics of crime in most cities.
Wow. I have never had an Uzi pulled on me. In fact, I have never even seen anyone with an uzi, Black person or White person.

However, I have had some similar experiences with crime from White persons.

I too lived in a nice subdivision and some things happened to me. When I was 11, a teenage boy was walking around with a paintball gun. Out of his own sadism, he shot me in broad daylight, and acted as if it was a joke to him. He was White.

I was at the creek one summer looking for peace and quiet. Two boys started throwing rocks at me. Both were White. This creek was the dividing line between my subdivision and another subdivision.

6 months after the rock throwing incident, someone vandalized my house. I later found out who did it. He was White. However, due to lack of proof, it was no use to call the police.

I have been victimized by Blacks too. The summer before my senior year of high school, I got jumped by a few Black kids in my subdivision while trying to take a jog.

All of this happened in a predominantly White area. When I first moved there, it was around 95% White and the majority of what I experienced was White on Black. When more African-Americans moved into the county, I started having more incidents of Black on Black violence.

I never saw murders, but alot of crap I heard about was domestic stuff.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggDaddyDroid View Post
What you consider victimization has me laughing. I'm having a hard time beleiving that you even classify any of that as crime.
I've been shot at... twice, robbed 6 times... I'm not even going to get into fights. I've literally fought so many people I don't even remember all the people I've fought. I've fought people in houses, backyards, front yards sidewaks, blacktop, bathrooms, hallways, playgrounds, resturants, classrooms, and bus stops. That's how I protected myself growing up by being the livest. Fighting anyone, anywhere, at any time for any reason and never backing down even if I knew the other guy could literally kill me with his bare hands.
I was 11 to 12 years old when this stuff happened. I don't consider is laughable.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:09 AM

123 posts, read 219,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I was 11 to 12 years old when this stuff happened. I don't consider is laughable.
From my point of view it is funny you would bring bullying up in a topic about crime. Being bullied is no laughing matter, but its not the same as a man putting a gun in your face and taking your christmas present from you the day after christmas. That's something that happend to me when I was 13.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggDaddyDroid View Post
removed
This stuff can happen. Where I live, there was a shooting at a Penske Truck Rental. 3 people were killed. This happened in a supposedly safe suburban town. This wasn't some "thug". This was a 60 year-old man who got fired from his job.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 10-31-2011 at 07:38 AM..

Old 10-31-2011, 11:14 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,943,998 times
The Uzi incident happened at a time when there were a lot of white teenagers in gangs in the outer suburbs (Harvey/Marrero/etc., if you know the area).

The funny thing is, I wasn't scared at all. I can't explain that other than to say that I didn't feel I was actually in any danger. I knew what a gun was and what it could do, I understood their intent, but I wasn't scared.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
The Uzi incident happened at a time when there were a lot of white teenagers in gangs in the outer suburbs (Harvey/Marrero/etc., if you know the area).

The funny thing is, I wasn't scared at all. I can't explain that other than to say that I didn't feel I was actually in any danger. I knew what a gun was and what it could do, I understood their intent, but I wasn't scared.
Gangs, well, I didn't know that. I visited Gretna in 1998 and I didn't see any gang activity.

In my old neighborhood, there were groups of kids, all of the White, who were basically skateboarder types. These kids contributed to alot of problems. One of the big problems is that the parents did nothing about it.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:39 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,158,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Oroville, CA (a town of 15,000 north of Sacramento) is 75% white and had a violent crime rate of over 1,900 per 100,000 residents in 2010...which is higher than cities like Oakland and Baltimore, and is comparable to Detroit's rate that year. Most of the violent crime seems to be centered on assaults, but it has high murder rates on some years: it hit 29 murders per 100k residents in 2006 for example.
Oroville is not 75% white even you add hispanics

Orovilles non hispanic white population is 64%

Old 11-01-2011, 04:38 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,250 times
What about Providence, Rhode Island?

Old 11-01-2011, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Oroville is not 75% white even you add hispanics

Orovilles non hispanic white population is 64%
http://www.city-data.com/races/races...alifornia.html

Actually, it is more like 71%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.