Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 05:26 PM

555 posts, read 802,847 times

Advertisements

Good news and bad news: Good news is I'm probably only 6 months out from being able to move.

Bad news is that I'm have to spend another depressing winter in this rathole of a city. (Not that I have anything against Winter---actually all seasons suck here---it's just that Winter is worse).

Meanwhile, I haven't decided on a destination yet.

I'd like to hear what people like about the areas/cities they live in---
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 06:18 PM

542 posts, read 1,682,510 times
Why do all seasons suck in Chicago? If you don't like cold weather, I'd suggest Austin, Dallas or Houston. Texas has a low cost of living, good economy, no state income tax, tons of single young women and is mild in the winter.

The answer your question - I don't like the people in my city...they're extremely rude and disrespectful. Beyond that, I don't like that it's overcrowded, you can't go anywhere without fighting through crowds or traffic.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:43 PM

555 posts, read 802,847 times
Jason:
I don't live in Chicago: I have this name because I was born near there. Chicago is actually a city I haven't ruled out to move to. I've heard it's renovated a lot and I would like living near the lake.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:51 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Albuquerque
-Great Weather, 300 + days of sunshine a year, mild winters, nice long summer but not too hot or humid.
-Good base for road tripping to some outstanding destinations and such as Taos, White Sands, Colorado Rockies and skiing, Northern AZ/Sedona/Grand Canyon
-Good Food, I love me some New Mexico green chile.
-Reasonable cost of living, one can live very well here for not a lot of money
-Friendly people, very live and let live and not too many political extremes either which is a breath of fresh air.

It's a good city for me for the time being as I'm doing really well in my career here. I won't settle here though, too isolated, lame downtown and not enough walkable areas, and a high crime rate.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 09-11-2014 at 07:01 PM..

Old 09-11-2014, 07:18 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
SAVANNAH:

-- Beauty (generally regarded as the most beautiful city in the United States)
-- History (founded in 1733 as the Colonial Capital of Georgia and America's first planned city)
-- Arts and Culture (home to Savannah College of Art and Design, the nation's largest art and design university, as well as Telfair Academy -- the South's oldest art museum -- and a huge, thriving creative class that's been drawn here from all over the world.
-- Nightlife (famous for its liberal liquor laws, open-container policy and expansive bar and live music scene that runs the range of styles and attracts everybody from tattooed, pierced hipsters to big-spending European tourists)
-- Restaurants (long know for its regional Low-country cuisine and increasingly becoming a place for inventive, upscale eateries on the cutting edge of new Southern, French, Italian and Asian cuisine)
-- A liberal, laissez-faire attitude and approach to living that has led rise to one of the largest GLBT populations in the Southeast.
-- Within a day's drive, AMTRAK ride or 2-hour flight to both NYC and Miami.

I could go on, but you get the idea ...

Old 09-11-2014, 07:23 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,551 times
Atlanta: the flora!

Old 09-11-2014, 08:22 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
What do I like about DC:

The airyness
The diversity
Vibrant local black culture
Colorful rowhouses and brownstones
Beautiful women of all races (most especially black girls and mixed girls )
Great nightlife
Neighborhoods with different personalities/vibes (Big City-lite such as Columbia Heights or Penn Quarter, Small Town-lite such as Capitol Hill or Historic Anacostia, Village-lite such as Brookland or Woodley Park, Gritty/Eclectic/Weird such as U Street Corridor/Shaw or Logan Circle, Stately/Old-Guardish such as Georgetown or Lanier Heights, Chill at daytime/Crazy at nighttime such as Adams Morgan or the Atlas District/H Street Corridor, etc.)
The Smithsonian
The youthful and intelligent vibe of the City
Proud role in music, civil rights, and US/International history
Good foodie/restaurant scene (can be even better but better than what it used to be)
Great college "town" atmosphere
Mostly clean with a bit of grime in some neighborhoods (I actually like it lol )
Extensive public transportation system that's still growing
Grand buildings/structures (Union Station, US Capitol, White House, National Cathedral, Monument, etc.)
The sports teams!!
The annual festivals and special events
Surrounded by two great states (Maryland and Virginia)
Manageable city size
Insanely gorgeous during mid Spring, early Summer, and Fall
Rock Creek Park
Lush landscaping

Being born and raised just across the DC line here in PG County, I always enjoyed going into The City. Hopefully I'll end up living there once I start building up funds Would kill to live in the Midtown/Cross-Town area (Dupont Circle, U Street Corridor, Shaw, LeDroit Park, Bloomingdale, Truxton Circle, Logan Circle/Greater 14th Street, and arguably the West End) lol

Old 09-11-2014, 09:02 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
You can go to the complete opposite from Seattle in Phoenix. Almost never cloudy or cold, just hot as hell half the year. You'd love it.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:06 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I like that Redding has so much recreation right here in town and just outside of town. I like that there is minimal traffic, and that it's a very casual city (I can wear t-shirts and jeans pretty much anywhere), it's affordable, and there's great shopping, plenty of places right in town to take my dog off-leash, and I find people laid back and friendly.

But, it's too hot for me. Got up near 100 degrees in mid-May, got as high as 117 this summer, and it's just under 100 degrees still mid-Sept.

If it wasn't for the heat, I'd stay here forever. But, I'm going to move to the coast next year.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:08 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,877,226 times
Denver.

4 true seasons.
Mild winters compared to the Upper Midwest and Northeast.
Booming economy.
Glorious summers.
Conspicuous lack of bugs.
Multitude of outdoor activities.
Fittest state in the nation.
All 4 pro sports.

I've lived in Dallas. While it may be cheap, summers there seriously suck. They're oppressively hot and humid and the only outdoor activities typically involve murky lakes and/or swimming pools. I wouldn't recommend anywhere in Texas east of the Llano Estacado to my worst enemy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.