Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 12:28 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not necessarily. There's less of a positive to campaigain on your "blue blood" roots as those with longer term roots don't have much an identity of it. At least no Massachusetts would try such a thing, even there have been some WASPs elected to office.
I don't know about Massachusetts, but in Philly, Ed Rendell did an excellent job playing up (and toning down) his Jewish roots at the appropriate times. The flip-side wasn't exactly WASPiness, but it was sufficiently "non-threatening gentile" to get others (particularly other white ethnics who may otherwise have voted against him) on his side.

Besides, the whole blueblood persona is more subtle and can simply be reflected in the way one walks, talks, and dresses. Explicitly heralding Colonial-era ancestors and old money ties would be far too garish/nouveau riche.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 09-16-2014 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 12:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I don't know about Massachusetts, but in Philly, Ed Rendell did an excellent job playing up (and toning down) his Jewish roots at the appropriate times. The flip-side wasn't exactly WASPiness, but it was sufficiently "non-threatening gentile" to get others (particularly other white ethnics who may otherwise have voted against him).
Hmm. Jewish-ness might be different from other "white ethnic" as it always has seem more "other", especially historically.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hmm. Jewish-ness might be different from other "white ethnic" as it always has seem more "other", especially historically.
That's probably true, but I would also think that Irish/Italians/Polish, etc. in similar situations would similarly need to pay heed to their own group without alienating others. Obviously, this would be a much bigger concern 40, 50, 60 years ago than today.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:46 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
I don't know about Massachusetts, but in Philly, Ed Rendell did an excellent job playing up (and toning down) his Jewish roots at the appropriate times. The flip-side wasn't exactly WASPiness, but it was sufficiently "non-threatening gentile" to get others (particularly other white ethnics who may otherwise have voted against him) on his side.
Jews don't typically play up their Jewishness in political campaigns. You really don't even hear Chuck Schumer talk much about being Jewish. Appeals to the Jewish community are usually less direct.

For example, Tom Knox puts signs all around the Northeast and Roxborough saying "Tom Knox: 100% Irish Catholic." It can't get any more blatant and direct than that.

Jewish candidates typically won't be that bold ("Mike Bloomberg: 100% Jewish!"). However, during a speech they might say something like "Iran is the greatest threat to world peace and stability today" and then everybody gets the point.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Jews don't typically play up their Jewishness in political campaigns. You really don't even hear Chuck Schumer talk much about being Jewish. Appeals to the Jewish community are usually less direct.
Someone like Chuck Schumer doesn't really have to. Rendell, who as a person isn't that attached to his Jewish roots, needed to make more of an effort--again, at the right place and time. Some family members of mine were closely involved in his campaign processes, and they told me as such. The Jewish vote in Philly was, and remains, a very important consideration.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee
Jewish candidates typically won't be that bold ("Mike Bloomberg: 100% Jewish!"). However, during a speech they might say something like "Iran is the greatest threat to world peace and stability today" and then everybody gets the point.
Just because they're not as loud about it doesn't mean they don't turn up and down the notches when necessary and appropriate, as your latter example reflects. Things like Jewish Exponent interviews, synagogue appearances, etc. are where it really counts. Those would be the proxies for the "Ed Rendell: 100% Jewish, but never mind my shikse wife!" signs .

Another interesting thing about Fast Eddie: by living in East Falls, joining the Cricket Club, and summering in Ocean City, among other things, he was able to tap into a much wider array of networks than if he had been a Bustleton/Philmont/Margate kind of guy.

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 09-16-2014 at 01:02 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Someone like Chuck Schumer doesn't really have to.
Neither did Rendell. Or Dianne Feinstein.

Quote:
Rendell, who as a person isn't that attached to his Jewish roots, needed to make more of an effort--again, at the right place and time.
How is Rendell not "that attached to his Jewish roots"?

Quote:
Some family members of mine were closely involved in his campaign processes, and they told me as such. The Jewish vote in Philly was, and remains, a very important consideration.
How did Ed Rendell "play up his Jewish roots"?

Old 09-16-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Just because they're not as loud about it doesn't mean they don't turn up and down the notches when necessary and appropriate, as your latter example reflects. Things like Jewish Exponent interviews, synagogue appearances, etc. are where it really counts. Those would be the proxies for the "Ed Rendell: 100% Jewish, but never mind my shikse wife!" signs .
If you're not loud about it, then that's not really "playing it up." Joe Biden debated Paul Ryan on NBC and spent an inordinate amount of time talking about his Irish upbringing in Scranton, "malarkey," the Irish work ethic, Irish toughness, etc. You don't hear that type of talk out of Jewish politicians.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Bloomberg doesn't really the style of a "white ethnic" candidate compared to say Ed Koch. Though I agree with your point. Speaking Ed Koch, from the link I posted earlier:

I was always very conscious that I was Jewish. And it wasn’t anti-Semitism that caused that. I was conscious that I was Jewish and very proud of it. And then when I became politically active it all changed. When I became politically active it was in the Village and the Village was overwhelmingly Italian, the constituency. And if I was going to succeed, if I was going to win the races that were going to be waged against Carmine De Sapio and others, it would be necessary — you’d have to be a fool not to understand that it was imperative that I become as involved with the Italian community as I possibly could. And I did. I formed the local organization called the MacDougal Area Neighborhood Association to clean up the street. One thousand Italians joined it. I mean, they were so angry at everybody else ruining the neighborhood. And they appointed me the leader, they voted for me. And it wasn’t like it was a sharp lesson that you had to learn — that if you helped people, if they thought you were honest with them — that they would actually vote for you even though you were not, in this case, Italian.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...and-jews-oh-my

Old 09-16-2014, 01:24 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:

For example, Tom Knox puts signs all around the Northeast and Roxborough saying "Tom Knox: 100% Irish Catholic." It can't get any more blatant and direct than that.

Ed Rendell is not known for being very religious yet when he won PA Governor he had his rabbi by his side at the podium who is said to "cater to the Russian Immigrant population in Northeast Philly"-whom are mostly Jewish. So I do think it can be turned up or down as Elijah said.

U.S. Elections 2002 Ed Rendell, Quiet on Jewish Issues, Wins Bid for Pennsylvania Governor | Jewish Telegraphic Agency
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.