Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 10:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
Robert De Niro isn't just Italian and Irish, he also has French, English, Dutch and German ancestries but not surprising that people only focus about the white ethnic part.
Well, he plays Italian-American characters, so that's what people assume. Perhaps the NYC accent helps, too. He's only a 1/4 Italian, his mother grew up Presbyertarian and was born in Oregon. Both parents moved to Manhattan because they were artists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 10:47 AM

399 posts, read 820,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Well, he plays Italian-American characters, so that's what people assume. Perhaps the NYC accent helps, too. He's only a 1/4 Italian, his mother grew up Presbyertarian and was born in Oregon. Both parents moved to Manhattan because they were artists.
I'm also thinking that when someone has an Italian father and a mother that isn't Italian, people assume he's just Italian because of his surname. It must be the case for all the white ethnic/"regular" white mix

Old 09-21-2014, 12:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
Is there still a lot of Scots-Irish folks in Pennsylvania ? We don't hear much about it.
I haven't lived there for a long time, but yes, when I was a kid there were plenty of "Scotch-Irish" (and just plain Scots). The Presbyterian church was very dominant there, and I doubt it's changed much. Presbyterian is still the second most common religion in Allegheny County, after Catholicism.

http://www.city-data.com/county/Alle...County-PA.html

Old 09-21-2014, 12:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I haven't lived there for a long time, but yes, when I was a kid there were plenty of "Scotch-Irish" (and just plain Scots). The Presbyterian church was very dominant there, and I doubt it's changed much. Presbyterian is still the second most common religion in Allegheny County, after Catholicism.

http://www.city-data.com/county/Alce...County-PA.html
not exactly what I expected:

American Nations | JayMan's Blog | Page 2

German Catholics in the Upper Midwest show up, creating two main regions of "white Catholicism" with the Northeast

Old 09-21-2014, 01:14 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's interesting that Philadelphia has the second highest number of people reporting Italian extraction only, but ranks last among these four cities for people speaking Italian at home and people born in Italy. I wonder if that's at least partially because Philadelphia is less international in character nowadays than all of these cities.
Perhaps they're a bit like the Boston Irish in a way, in that they retain a strong ethnic identity even in the fourth generation. It's pretty much all an Italian American population. Of course there are plenty of these types in New York too, but it is more diverse, and if you'd have no problem finding enclaves of actual Italian immigrants and Italian speakers if you wanted to, in outer borough neighborhoods and in the suburbs.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/h54.html

New York has 3 times the Italian American population as Philadelphia, but 10 times as many Italian immigrants and 8 times as many Italian speakers.

The same is true, though to a much lesser extent, in Chicago and Boston. Chicago is interesting in that it has a larger Italian immigrant population than Philly, but no majority-Italian neighborhoods and its suburbs are at most about 25% Italian. They're a smaller percentage of the population and less likely to be solely of Italian ancestry.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
More surprising is how many 100% Irish are left, particularly in Boston, since many if not most arrived in the mid 19th century.
Yeah, Boston really stands out here, since that means must be several from the fourth generation and beyond.

In cities with large ethnic communities, it isn't surprising that people from the 2nd generation marry each other and have 3rd generation unmixed offspring. There's certainly a significant number of outmarriages in the 3rd generation, but even the 3rd generation marrying each other and producing 4th generation unmixed offspring isn't that surprising.

Old 09-21-2014, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Yeah, Boston really stands out here, since that means must be several from the fourth generation and beyond.
Former roommate of mine (I think) was 100% Irish and maybe 5th generation, family was from the Boston area. Her grandma would pray for the Democratic Party at Catholic mass.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:29 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Perhaps they're a bit like the Boston Irish in a way, in that they retain a strong ethnic identity even in the fourth generation. It's pretty much all an Italian American population. Of course there are plenty of these types in New York too, but it is more diverse, and if you'd have no problem finding enclaves of actual Italian immigrants and Italian speakers if you wanted to, in outer borough neighborhoods and in the suburbs.
I think that's accurate. I think Italian-American identity, at least in the Philadelphia area, is sort of its own distinct thing. It doesn't have as much old world infusion as the Tri-State (that means NYC, btw), but it's a community that nontheless exhibits a high degree of ethnic consciousness.

Couple of examples of Philly Italian-ness.

Outtakes from "The Philly Accent" shoot - YouTube

Joseph Ligambi Philly Mob Scene - YouTube

Old 09-21-2014, 05:10 PM

Chicago and Detroit MSAs have a similar percentage of Polish Americans, yet Chicago has a substantial immigrant component, while Detroit is pretty much a "native" Polish American population.

Polish American:

Chicago MSA 917,550 9.7%
Detroit MSA 475,728 11.1%

Polish single ancestry:

Chicago MSA 410,057 4.3% (45.7% of Polish American population)
Detroit MSA 182,176 4.2% (38.3% of Polish American population)

Speak Polish at home:

Chicago MSA 188,274 (20.5%)
Detroit MSA 19,388 (4.1%)

Born in Poland:

Chicago MSA 140,277 (15.3%)
Detroit MSA 10,546 (2.2%)

If we just look at Cook County:

Polish American population: 472,317
Polish single ancestry: 252,300 (52.3%)
Speak Polish at home: 144,091 (30.5%)
Born in Poland: 110,402 (23.4%)

Old 09-21-2014, 05:17 PM

How does NYC compare with Chicago in Polish immigrant population?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.