Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Northernmost southeastern state
North Carolina 11 11.46%
Virginia 43 44.79%
West Virginia 22 22.92%
Maryland 20 20.83%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 08:21 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
I disagree. The northern panhandle is more Midwestern than Northeastern. If you think the north central WV area is decidedly like New York City, Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Philliy, etc, then you must have not spent much time here is all I can say. I lived in South Florida for years and encountered a great many people from those areas and I can tell you from first hand experience, people here are nothing, and I mean nothing like folks from up there.
Very few people will agree with you on this I think you're making this claim just because of the border with Ohio and proximity to Columbus. Also you do know the Appalachian Mountains extend clear into New York right? The northern panhandle is considered by many to be more a part of the Pittsburgh metro than anything because from the northern panhandle you're only like 40 minutes from Allegheny County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
Again, I'll have to disagree with you here. Every time I'm up there I see an extension of West Virginia first and foremost, with Ohio undertones. This is not to say that Pittsburgh doesn't influence Wheeling, it does, but it's not the dominant factor.

I'd like to add, as I said before, I have a hard time grouping Pittsburgh with NYC, Jersey, Boston, or even Philadelphia. The whole Northeastern grouping is not accurate IMO.
Ohio does not have any major metros within 60 miles of the northern panhandle unless you count Youngstown. Major cities are what influences an area. Historically the northern panhandle of WV is part of the rust belt whereas most of Ohio isn't.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 06-23-2016 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 09:15 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
Very few people will agree with you on this I think you're making this claim just because of the border with Ohio and proximity to Columbus. Also you do know the Appalachian Mountains extend clear into New York right? The northern panhandle is considered by many to be more a part of the Pittsburgh metro than anything because from the northern panhandle you're only like 40 minutes from Allegheny County.
Well some people consider Pittsburgh to be more Midwestern than Northeastern (not saying that it is, just saying that's how some people think), so that's probably why he said that.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:23 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
So is Missouri. I don't hear people arguing against that state being decidedly Midwestern.
Really? I thought Missouri was considered pretty Southern outside of St. Louis, KC and maybe Jefferson City?
Not trying to start anything but isn't that true?

Old 06-23-2016, 12:33 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,859,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Really? I thought Missouri was considered pretty Southern outside of St. Louis, KC and maybe Jefferson City?
Not trying to start anything but isn't that true?
No it's not. The only parts of Missouri that are Southern are the southern third of the state. For more reference look up Southern dialect map on google and you'll see exactly where it runs through Missouri. Now much of the state outside of St. Louis and Kansas City and Jefferson City is Southern Baptist, but that's the only thing Southern about it. There is Southern influence in most of the state, though it's not significant unless you're in the Southern third of the state, which more or less is part of the South.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:58 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Kentucky and Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.