U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 04-15-2008, 05:29 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
70,066 posts, read 60,642,093 times
Reputation: 20204

Advertisements

Map Gallery of Religion in the United States
Quote:
Besides, most people have an idea of which states are considered "Bible Belt" states without needing to look at this particular diagram.
"Most people"? I'm sure some haven't even give it a thought. It is not a concern to everybody.

Here is the link to the whole project. I can assure you the geography dept at Valapraiso is highly respected. You sound very sure of yourself. What are the Bible Belt states, in your opinion? (Before you look at the link.) Do you make all your decisions with no expert advice?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2008, 07:07 PM
 
84 posts, read 202,341 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Map Gallery of Religion in the United States


"Most people"? I'm sure some haven't even give it a thought. It is not a concern to everybody.

Here is the link to the whole project. I can assure you the geography dept at Valapraiso is highly respected. You sound very sure of yourself. What are the Bible Belt states, in your opinion? (Before you look at the link.) Do you make all your decisions with no expert advice?
Most people as in most people who even refer to any states as "Bible Belt" states probably have an inkling as to what they are referring to -without- having looked at your favorite diagram. The term "Bible Belt" existed prior to the creation of the diagram. Valapraiso is very well respected... you mean by the people who have even actually heard of the university? This may or may not be true, but it doesn't matter. Just because a university geography dept is "well respected" doesn't mean that someone should accept everything it says without question. Unless that's how you live your life. feel free.

What decision have I made without expert advice? And why would you assume that you know anything about my decision making? So you know all about my character from a couple of posts on an internet forum about the United States? Your powers of human observation are amazing. I haven't made any decisions. All I said was that I would love to see an updated version of the diagram and learn more about the qualifiers they used to determine their results PRIOR to determining whether or not it is credible. What, is that an alien concept to you.. to learn more about something PRIOR to believing it or just because it comes from a university dept that you have been told is "well respected" is enough for you? Besides, the diagram is suppose to show "religious adherents"; that doesn't necessarily mean that those states that have less "religious adherents" would have more Atheists.

Let me remind you that the OP was asking for "Most Atheist American Cities" and doesn't care what you think about what type of decision making I do in my life. BTW, if you make ALL your decisions with expert advice, wow.. that must be tiring. example: Should I have sugar with coffee? Let me check the coffee experts, or the sugar experts or a nutritionist. But Starbucks does it, and they are considered "well-respected" by many in the coffee business field so that must mean I should buy only Starbucks coffee with sugar.

Why don't you try to keep this less personal and stick to the original thread topic? If you're this sensitive when people quesiton diagrams they see on the internet then maybe being on public forums will be too upsetting for you.

You sound so defensive, is my own opinion of whether or not to believe in a diagram I see in a forum on the internet such a personal attack on you? I don't know you but perhaps you care too much what others think.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2008, 07:16 PM
 
Location: southern california
50,303 posts, read 47,627,816 times
Reputation: 41675
i dont know a lot of true atheists mostly they are christians mad at their church for not rubber stamping their life style (they get mad at christians a lot on CD forum i mean some of them are obsessed) . but for the true atheist, they probably would be found in a very wealthy area
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Status: "60th anniversary of the polio vaccine! Hail to Pitt!" (set 12 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
70,066 posts, read 60,642,093 times
Reputation: 20204
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarHazard View Post
Most people as in most people who even refer to any states as "Bible Belt" states probably have an inkling as to what they are referring to -without- having looked at your favorite diagram. The term "Bible Belt" existed prior to the creation of the diagram. Valapraiso is very well respected... you mean by the people who have even actually heard of the university? This may or may not be true, but it doesn't matter. Just because a university geography dept is "well respected" doesn't mean that someone should accept everything it says without question. Unless that's how you live your life. feel free.

What decision have I made without expert advice? And why would you assume that you know anything about my decision making? So you know all about my character from a couple of posts on an internet forum about the United States? Your powers of human observation are amazing. I haven't made any decisions. All I said was that I would love to see an updated version of the diagram and learn more about the qualifiers they used to determine their results PRIOR to determining whether or not it is credible. What, is that an alien concept to you.. to learn more about something PRIOR to believing it or just because it comes from a university dept that you have been told is "well respected" is enough for you? Besides, the diagram is suppose to show "religious adherents"; that doesn't necessarily mean that those states that have less "religious adherents" would have more Atheists.

Let me remind you that the OP was asking for "Most Atheist American Cities" and doesn't care what you think about what type of decision making I do in my life. BTW, if you make ALL your decisions with expert advice, wow.. that must be tiring. example: Should I have sugar with coffee? Let me check the coffee experts, or the sugar experts or a nutritionist. But Starbucks does it, and they are considered "well-respected" by many in the coffee business field so that must mean I should buy only Starbucks coffee with sugar.

Why don't you try to keep this less personal and stick to the original thread topic? If you're this sensitive when people quesiton diagrams they see on the internet then maybe being on public forums will be too upsetting for you.

You sound so defensive, is my own opinion of whether or not to believe in a diagram I see in a forum on the internet such a personal attack on you? I don't know you but perhaps you care too much what others think.
Good grief! First of all, the above is not "all" you asked. This is what you asked:
Quote:
That diagram is 8 years old.. but was it even accurate to begin with?
I tried, apparently unsuccessfully, to give you a reason to find it accurate. Just because it doesn't go with all your beliefs, that doesn't make it wrong! The areas I am familiar with on that map are very accurate, even now, 8 years later.

No, I don't know anything about your decision-making, but I generally don't make my decisions based on what "most" people "know". I usually research. If my research doesn't agree with my preconceived notions, I usually look a little farther.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2008, 04:07 AM
 
84 posts, read 202,341 times
Reputation: 54
Exclamation Seriously??!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Good grief! First of all, the above is not "all" you asked. This is what you asked: I tried,
apparently unsuccessfully, to give you a reason to find it accurate. Just because it doesn't go with all your
beliefs, that doesn't make it wrong! The areas I am familiar with on that map are very accurate, even now, 8 years
later.
No, I don't know anything about your decision-making, but I generally don't make my decisions based on what "most"
people "know". I usually research. If my research doesn't agree with my preconceived notions, I usually look a
little farther.


Really? Must we do this again? Okay, fine. This is the last time that I will respond to your postings so listen carefully. Either you choose to misunderstand, misrepresent, and misconstrue my statements purposely or you are unable to comprehend them. Let me try to state things in as clear a form as I can for your sake.


1. I questioned the accuracy of the diagram because I originally did not know what its source was, if its source was credible, why its source is credible, what the parameters of the survey are, what the qualifiers of the survey
are, whom did it survey, the statistical information of those surveyed, how it even defines its terms such as "religious adherent", if it was the only version available and if yes, then why was the source unable to update the
diagram and publish a new version. I had indicated in the first post I submitted in this thread that I had alot of questions about the diagram. Including why an island in Hawaii is completely red when the rest of the islands are not and whether or not this is because it was privately owned by one person who was considered by the survey qualifiers to be a "religious adherent". Is it really that hard for you to understand why a rational and logical person's first inclination upon seeing a diagram on an internet forum would be to question its accuracy? If yes, then I feel sorry that you are not rational or logical enough to understand that concept.

2. I did not once say that it was "wrong". Nor did I say that it "doesn't go" with all my beliefs. I only asked if it was -accurate-. And how could you infer that it does not go with all of my beliefs if you do not even know
what my beliefs are? Of what beliefs have I stated that you could possibly be referring to?!?

3. Like I said; Most People who use the term "Bible Belt" have some indication of which states they are referring to. Why would you go and assume that they don't have any idea of what they are talking about unless they agree with the diagram?? Are you making it your mission to run around waving the diagram every time you hear someone say the term "Bible Belt"?? Like I pointed out, this term existed prior to the publication of that diagram.

4. You said you tried to give me a "reason" to believe that it is accurate. Your "reason" is that it came from Valapraiso University's Geography Dept. A dept you indicated is "well-respected". Okay, firstly saying that its
source is "well-respected" is not enough reason to believe that the diagram is accurate without question. Just because something comes from such and such place does not make everything that comes from that place automatically correct. The diagram must be able to stand on its own merits prior to anyone being able to accept its validity. Secondly, you claim that that dept is "well-respected". What makes it "well-respected"? You did not indicate any supporting arguments for your assertion. And "well-respected" by whom? By you? What makes you an authority on geography depts? By "most people"? Oh, you mean the same "most people" that you then say you do not base your decision making upon? Do you always contradict yourself or is it simply more hypocrisy?

5. You then assert that although it is 8 years old, it must still be absolutely true because.. why? Because you are "familiar" with the areas on the map. Wow. You say you don't know anything about my decision making but you
insinuate that I make all my decisions with "no expert advice", then insinuate that I base my decisions on what "most people know". So you are saying that the diagram is accurate because the -Valapraiso University Geography
Dept- said it is accurate. And the Dept must be correct because -YOU/OTHERS/MOST PEOPLE- deem it "well-respected". And there is no need for an updated version of the diagram because -YOU- said that it is accurate based on what -YOU- are familiar with. Do you make all your decisions based on rhetoric, assertions, assumptions, and blind faith in authority? According to you, I should not question a diagram I see on an internet forum because I must believe it because -YOU- told me to? You have got to be joking, right? It has been amazing that I have survived this long making decisions without your "expert advice".

6. When making decisions, you say you "research" then look alittle further. Extraordinary. Your idea of research is that it came from Valapraiso so it must be accurate. Valapraiso is respected by you, by others, by most people so everything they put out must be accurate. You are familiar with some areas on the map despite the fact that it is 8 years old so it must be accurate. Damn. If that is your idea of "research" and looking "alittle further" then I am just so glad you are not a doctor because your patients would be in dire trouble. And if you are a doctor, then let me know where you practice and I will definitely not raise my children in -THAT- state or any
state that willingly gave you a medical license.

7. Telling me to just accept what you say as "reason" to believe that the diagram is accurate in a thread that asks about the most Atheist American Cities is hilarious. You know, the Bible is also very "well-respected" by
others and "Most People" and even though it may supposedly be a couple thousand years old, if -YOU- are familiar with some parts of it then it must also be accurate. Yes, no need for -anyone- to question the Bible.

8. By the way, my posts are full of -MY- opinions. Why the hell would you care what I think let alone what I think about the diagram!?!? Why would you care if I question it? Why would you care where I raise my children or where I choose not to raise my children? Why would you care how I make my decisions? Because it is obvious that you care so much about what others think to take the time to attack everyone who disagrees with you regarding the diagram. You even take it a step further and assume you know how other people make their decisions as well. You must either lead a very boring life or have lots of spare time on your hands to actually care about whether complete strangers question a diagram or not. That is quite sad, really.


Yes, and on top of ALL of this, THE DIAGRAM DOESN'T EVEN ANSWER THE OP'S ORIGINAL POST! As I have stated, just because a city may have the least amount of "religious adherents" (however the diagram defines the words
"religious" or "adherent") DOES NOT mean that it will have the most Atheists, or be the most Atheist American City. Even if it defines a "religious adherent" simply as someone who does not go to a religious venue ie. a church,
temple, or etc.; that STILL DOES NOT mean that that someone is an Atheist. Plenty of religious people do not go to church yet still consider themselves religious but not necessarily a "religious adherent".


I beseech you to respect this forum just as others like myself do and adhere to forum guidelines: keep your posts on topic (in answering the OP's question), without personally attacking people whom you do not agree with (as I am not the only one you have criticized who have questioned the diagram), and actually recognize that yes, THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS ON THINGS THAN YOU DO. So on behalf of other people on this forum; GIVE IT A REST!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 11:34 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,055 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
See that's the problem with atheists/agnostics...everything is subjective and there is no final 'truth' for them. And no matter how much 'proof' you try and show them it's still subjective,so what's the use? It's like they're floating around with no beliefs in anything.
because there isnt truth its like watching a hollywood movie and my biggest problem is reilgon is like this people worship a rock these other people worship another rock so the people meet and they say no my rock is the right one im going to kill you because im right and your wrong wars and wars have been fought and are still going beacuse of this is it really worth it its one thing to wonder and ponder why you are here its another to take part in something that makes no sense just because somebody older than you told you that its right
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2009, 11:43 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,055 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Yes,so isn't it sad?
Hey aren't the Jehovahs Witnesses similar in that they don't celebrate holidays for enjoyment?
So are atheists even happy if they can't do anything for enjoyment? Why fight it? Find a religion
why jump on the bandwagon hahaha
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 01:41 AM
 
2,540 posts, read 2,618,154 times
Reputation: 3249
I don't know whether this have been mentioned or whether the original poster is still checking this thread, but on the city profiles on this site there is a category for the percentage of people in every city who consider themselves religious. That should be of help.

As for the maps Katiana posted, I find really decieving that only members of the Church of Christ and similar churches are listed as Christian, when they only constitute a tiny minorty.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 02:38 PM
 
7,852 posts, read 12,749,827 times
Reputation: 2611
I find that prior to today, this thread had been dormant for six months.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2009, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Lower East Side, Milwaukee, WI
2,950 posts, read 1,979,263 times
Reputation: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch133 View Post
because there isnt truth its like watching a hollywood movie and my biggest problem is reilgon is like this people worship a rock these other people worship another rock so the people meet and they say no my rock is the right one im going to kill you because im right and your wrong wars and wars have been fought and are still going beacuse of this is it really worth it its one thing to wonder and ponder why you are here its another to take part in something that makes no sense just because somebody older than you told you that its right
Deep.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top