Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 04:25 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times

Advertisements

Church attendance can be loosely correlated with atheism, (I say loosely because there are certainly those of faith who do not attend church), but here is a state report from a few years ago. Note that some of the lowest church attendance is in New England.

Church or synagogue attendance by state | The San Diego Union-Tribune
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 04:41 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I find that prior to today, this thread had been dormant for six months.
Try 18 months.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:45 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Problem is, once it is re-posted it becomes new again. For example, I didn't even notice it was old until after I posted. If you click on "last page" there is no indication of how old it is or how long it was "dormant". (Although all that can be accessed if you look hard enough for it!)

Last edited by pw72; 10-07-2009 at 04:55 PM..

Old 10-07-2009, 04:51 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Not the south.
Mainly the West.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:01 PM

145 posts, read 687,721 times
id say basicly anywhere in the northwest :P

Old 11-10-2009, 07:13 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Problem is, once it is re-posted it becomes new again. For example, I didn't even notice it was old until after I posted. If you click on "last page" there is no indication of how old it is or how long it was "dormant". (Although all that can be accessed if you look hard enough for it!)
Well, yeah that's true...but the first person to respond to this thread after it was dormant for 18 months should have been able to catch on that it wasn't active.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:45 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Church attendance can be loosely correlated with atheism, (I say loosely because there are certainly those of faith who do not attend church), but here is a state report from a few years ago. Note that some of the lowest church attendance is in New England.

Church or synagogue attendance by state | The San Diego Union-Tribune
The sex-abuse-scandal in the Catholic Church hit New England harder than much of the country. On the Protestant side New England Protestantism tended to be "mainline" and most of Mainline Protestantism is in severe decline. Lutheranism seems to be the only mainline denomination to retain a healthy majority of its members, Pew Research, but it is much more associated to the Midwest than New England.

The reason for the decline of Mainline Protestants is a matter of fairly robust discussion and I'm not sure what the main ideas on it are right now. In some cases mainline churches seem to have been more damaged by debates over homosexuality and abortion than more conservative churches who tend to clearly just say "no" to both. Or maybe also hurt worse than self-defined liberal churches who clearly stated a "yes" on both from the outset. The uncertainty and in-fighting maybe being the issue. Mainline churches are also traditionally less about "outreach" and trying to bring back lapsed members. New England Protestantism has become particularly known for keeping religion more private and non-evangelical.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:16 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,429,588 times
When it comes to mainline churches I think membership has been hurt on both extremes. Some Catholics have drifted out of the church over their unwillingness to follow its moral teachings. On the other end of the spectrum, mainline protestant churches have drifted so heavily towards social liberalism and theological relativism they pretty much dissolved themsleves into the liberal secular background. The same could be said about the most liberal sectors within the Catholic Church.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:45 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
When it comes to mainline churches I think membership has been hurt on both extremes. Some Catholics have drifted out of the church over their unwillingness to follow its moral teachings. On the other end of the spectrum, mainline protestant churches have drifted so heavily towards social liberalism and theological relativism they pretty much dissolved themselves into the liberal secular background. The same could be said about the most liberal sectors within the Catholic Church.
I was tempted to say that myself, but feared it would come out wrong.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:17 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,057,151 times
Los Angeles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.