Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 02:46 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,445,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Houston is one of many cities with megachurches. I don't see what that has do with anything. Most people in Houston have probably never even been to Lakewood.
All I know is when I was researching Houston there was a big deal about just how much of it is Christian,after all it still is part of the bible belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 02:52 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,553,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
All I know is when I was researching Houston there was a big deal about just how much of it is Christian,
Well it really isn't all that Christian. There are a lot of Christians, but probably not greater than many other cities.

Quote:
after all it still is part of the bible belt.
Yes, but it's a cosmopolitan, liberal world city which makes it exempt from many of the characteristics of being in the bible belt. It's very much a black sheep down here.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
See that's the problem with atheists/agnostics...everything is subjective and there is no final 'truth' for them. And no matter how much 'proof' you try and show them it's still subjective,so what's the use? It's like they're floating around with no beliefs in anything.
Deep down, I think everybody in the world wants to believe, it's just difficult for them.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:07 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,445,876 times
Quote:
Well it really isn't all that Christian. There are a lot of Christians, but probably not greater than many other cities.

Yes, but it's a cosmopolitan, liberal world city which makes it exempt from many of the characteristics of being in the bible belt. It's very much a black sheep down here.
Perhaps it's because there doesn't seem to be that many Christians in my area so Houston seems like alot.

I guess my ultimate question is,does Christianity/being in the bible belt have alot to do with why people in those areas are so much nicer than in most other parts of the country?

Old 12-28-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Perhaps it's because there doesn't seem to be that many Christians in my area so Houston seems like alot.

I guess my ultimate question is,does Christianity/being in the bible belt have alot to do with why people in those areas are so much nicer than in most other parts of the country?
I don't think so. Some of the nicest people I've met were in fact not Christian, and some of the meanest people I've met claimed to be followers of Christ.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:34 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,651,385 times
I'm nice and I'm not a Christian, right, mpope409?

Old 12-28-2007, 04:03 PM

8,804 posts, read 21,223,252 times
Which American cities have the greatest number of Atheists where the voice of scientific reason prevails?

I don't know if I would put atheism that way.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:09 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,585,184 times
Quote:
Deep down, I think everybody in the world wants to believe, it's just difficult for them.
I never understood that position..."It's like they don't believe in anything!"....We believe in the universal laws of nature, we believe in our leaders (well that's somewhat of a stretch, at least in the last 8 years), we believe in ourselves, our children.....Just because you don't believe in the supernatural does not mean that you are dedicated to believing nothing.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:10 PM

8,804 posts, read 21,223,252 times
Was Mother Teresa a hypocrite for doing deeds in the name of a god she herself did not believe in?

Mother Teresa didn't believe in God? Are you sure ?

Old 12-28-2007, 04:22 PM

1,149 posts, read 5,626,131 times
She had a crisis of faith. It was revealed in her recently released diaries. Agnostic would be a better term to describe her position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Was Mother Teresa a hypocrite for doing deeds in the name of a god she herself did not believe in?

Mother Teresa didn't believe in God? Are you sure ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.