Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 05:16 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,782,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
NYC isnt really "bro-ie". I have friends who are in frats and they're really chill and down to earth, and certainly don't do "bro-ie" things. I know in some other cities frats can be crazy like that, but in NYC they're down-to-earth, which is cool
The great thing about NYC is that it's so huge and diverse that it's easy to avoid whatever type of people you just don't care for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 09:42 PM

5,975 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
IMO, the Inland Empire of Southern California, overall, is probably worse than Scottsdale in that regard. However, Phoenix is probably more "bro-y" overall than the Inland Empire, especially the West Valley--lots more lifted pickup trucks (and trucks in general), guns, dirt bikes, country music, etc. Scottsdale itself, where I lived for two years, is a lot more refined--for lack of a better term--than most of the Phoenix metro area--lots and lots of fine [chain] dining, upscale shopping, luxury homes/resorts/spas, etc.

That said, Arizona is a more conducive environment to "bro culture" than California, for sure, mostly because it has very liberal gun laws/policies and conservative politics in general, which are the crux of bro/redneck culture. Shooting, hunting, dirt-biking, four-wheeling, off-roading, etc. are a lot more popular activities in Phoenix vs. Southern California, at least IME.

FWIW, lots of bros from inland California move to Arizona and give California transplants--in the eyes of many native Arizonans and transplanted Midwesterners/Easterners--a bad name. The liberal California transplants everyone in the other Western states complain about aren't moving to Arizona--they're moving to Colorado, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington, or Hawaii. Those are the states that either turned "blue" or became even "bluer" upon the influx of California transplants. Most Californians, even the libertarian ones, don't even give Arizona a second thought, let alone move there.

For the most part, Arizona (as well as Texas) attracts conservative Californians. Lots of times these California transplants--along with their conservative brethren from other liberal, progressive states such as New York and Illinois--tend to vote the most conservatively once they arrive in Arizona, probably because they had no voice whatsoever as a super-minority in their previous homes.
Eh, I don't know if thats a 100% true. I think the beauty of the Sonora desert around Tuscon and the beauty of new age Sedona and access to the Grand Canyon and other national monuments of Northern Arizona is enough to attract those with a "hippie-liberal" mindset that would be shared by those who are attracted to Colorado, New Mexico (Oregon and Washington is a totally different natural environment).

Now, Texas? . . . thats a different story. with a lack of natural beauty and public land over 95% of the state (minus the hill country around Austin and San Antonio(the two cities with lot of character, and some coastal areas around Corpus Christi) theres little to attract the type of people that would be attracted to the western states.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:50 PM

300 posts, read 440,922 times
Redneck definitely isn't equal to bro. I live in a pretty redneck area and the only bros I know are college students from other parts of the state. I'd take bros over rednecks anyday, looking forward to getting to Tempe, then again I'm more of a bro than any other stereotype.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:41 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,807,887 times
The Twin Cities are a good place to escape bros, especially St Paul. You will find them in the suburbs though (especially the western suburbs).

Old 09-15-2014, 04:27 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,887,301 times
Bros like regular food. I could actually go to a real bar instead of a microbrewery. I could eat real pizza instead of the gluten free veggie crap. This doesn't sound so bad.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:11 AM

5,975 posts, read 13,112,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Bros like regular food. I could actually go to a real bar instead of a microbrewery. I could eat real pizza instead of the gluten free veggie crap. This doesn't sound so bad.
The real pizza over the gluten free veggie pizza I could understand. But a "real bar"? What is that, one that just has bud and bud light?? No thanks. There are microbrews everywhere these days, thankfully.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:26 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
I get the pizza, but let's remember that typical bro "beers" (Coors Lite, Keystone Lite, Bud Lite) taste like ***. At least when I invite hipsters over they bring good, classy booze like Lager and spiced rum

Old 09-15-2014, 02:30 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,052,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I get the pizza, but let's remember that typical bro "beers" (Coors Lite, Keystone Lite, Bud Lite) taste like ***. At least when I invite hipsters over they bring good, classy booze like Lager and spiced rum
And all the while in creepy tight man capri's that they somehow don't manage to bulge out in.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:37 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,525,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
And all the while in creepy tight man capri's that they somehow don't manage to bulge out in.
It's cool if you want to drink Silver Bullets with big-bulged dudes and all, but I'll take beer that actually tastes good and ignore bulge-sizes.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:38 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,923,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
LOL, what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.