Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 09:07 PM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
"Pop" doesn't really bother me, but the South's "coke" does.

Coke is a specific soda brand. Ask for a "coke" in the North, they'll bring you a Coke… which is the logical response.

Asking for a "coke" and meaning Sprite is just confusing and makes absolutely no sense to me.
If you want a 'coke' in the south you ask for a co-cola, maybe even a coca- cola, which IS the original name of that soft drink, not coke. Asking for a coke is just shorthand for any carbonated soft drink.
No worse than asking for a kleenex or a band-aid though. Do you really expect the brand name product when you ask for a kleenex too? It's not that confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 10:49 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
If you want a 'coke' in the south you ask for a co-cola, maybe even a coca- cola, which IS the original name of that soft drink, not coke. Asking for a coke is just shorthand for any carbonated soft drink.
No worse than asking for a kleenex or a band-aid though. Do you really expect the brand name product when you ask for a kleenex too? It's not that confusing.
I don't ask for a Kleenex, I ask for a tissue.

And coca-cola may be the technical name but the diet coca-cola bottles say "diet COKE."

Old 09-17-2014, 03:01 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
If I lived in the Midwest, I would use the word soda. I think "pop" sounds stupid and wrong. It's slang and shouldn't be used regularly IMO.

They will run you out of there for not using "pop". All kidding aside, using soda in the Midwest (outside of Saint Louis or Milwaukee) will just let people know your from the northeast.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:58 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
They will run you out of there for not using "pop". All kidding aside, using soda in the Midwest (outside of Saint Louis or Milwaukee) will just let people know your from the northeast.
Or the west, Californians/Arizonans seem to pretty well known for it.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:44 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,530,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Breaded and fried?? Do they still squeak after such ignominy?
Well no, they're gooey at that point. Again, nothing wrong with fried cheese curds, I mean how could you go wrong with frying cheese? But "cheese curds" here means uncooked, fresh squeaky curds, and that's both healthier and tastier (in my opinion). Most gas stations and stores throughout the state have fresh cheese curd days, where bags are thrown on a table or up by the register; some areas near factories have them pretty much every morning. The only place I've found this to be rare is in Milwaukee, which only has one (fairly new) cheese factory and tends to refrigerate even "fresh" curds.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:15 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
If I lived in the Midwest, I would use the word soda. I think "pop" sounds stupid and wrong. It's slang and shouldn't be used regularly IMO.
The correct term is soda pop, so unless you say it like that you are using slang.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:24 AM

555 posts, read 862,229 times
Agreed using the term 'coke' when referring to soda in general is just plain nonsense.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:42 AM

676 posts, read 961,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
The only place I've found this to be rare is in Milwaukee, which only has one (fairly new) cheese factory and tends to refrigerate even "fresh" curds.
Ha, I was just gonna say...I've never heard of such a practice.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:51 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
In most of Wisconsin we say "soda." There are many other goofy things that we say though - bubbler, TYME machine, etc.

I'm sure they are, but one thing no one else understands about Wisconsin cheese curds is that we're not talking about the breaded/fried cheese curds (though they certainly are tasty), we're talking fresh-that-day from the factory. They should be squeaky, never refrigerated, and hopefully still warm from the vat. I have never seen them sold properly in other states, though I've tried disgusting refrigerated bags of junk from MI, CA, and NY (which were the absolute worst - smelled like gym socks and got thrown out the window).

Many of these "charts" apply to southern Midwest (there isn't even a Steak N Shake in Wisconsin) and not Upper.
Not even Minnesota?

people here go ape sh-t over those things, the beer battered cheese curds at the MN state fair are probably the most amazing thing on the face of this earth.

Old 09-17-2014, 11:07 AM

867 posts, read 1,397,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
Agreed using the term 'coke' when referring to soda in general is just plain nonsense.
Yeah, I never really got that...If you want Mountain Dew you wouldn't ask for 'coke'...if you ask for a 'coke' and you really want a Pepsi it really wouldn't make any sense either. We say soda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.