Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 03:07 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times

Advertisements

Interesting research that attempts to measure how happy people are in given cities. Article in the Washington Post:

The appeal of unhappy cities - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 04:57 PM

300 posts, read 440,974 times
Here is a direct link to the paid document that one of the professors put on his site for free, instead of having to pay $5. http://www.hks.harvard.edu/inequalit.../Glaeser14.pdf

Old 09-15-2014, 05:01 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
I was born in the Evansville-Henderson Metropolitan Area and it honestly is a pretty depressing region of the country. It can be beautiful and the people can be kind (well, more so on the Henderson, KY side of the Ohio River than on the Evansville, IN side), but still depressing.

But I sure as hell would not be happy, at least I believe, in Louisiana. Six cities?! Really? The state has New Orleans, which is rich in both culture and crime, and the Cajun and Creole influence, and the swamps have their own beauty, but to live in the state?!

Old 09-15-2014, 05:07 PM

300 posts, read 440,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
I was born in the Evansville-Henderson Metropolitan Area and it honestly is a pretty depressing region of the country. It can be beautiful and the people can be kind (well, more so on the Henderson, KY side of the Ohio River than on the Evansville, IN side), but still depressing.

But I sure as hell would not be happy, at least I believe, in Louisiana. Six cities?! Really? The state has New Orleans, which is rich in both culture and crime, and the Cajun and Creole influence, and the swamps have their own beauty, but to live in the state?!
Maybe it has more to do with how they were raised.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:16 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Given my time on C-D I feel people are generally driven by two factors that dictate happiness, weather and taxes. One can easily see the correlation when looking at that map. Not that I agree with those criteria as being primary reasons for being unhappy, but one can see a lot of comments regarding the two when discussing a move on this forum.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:29 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,526,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Given my time on C-D I feel people are generally driven by two factors that dictate happiness, weather and taxes. One can easily see the correlation when looking at that map. Not that I agree with those criteria as being primary reasons for being unhappy, but one can see a lot of comments regarding the two when discussing a move on this forum.
Uh, yeah...C-D is definitely not the real world. Jobs are the reason people move, not weather, and there are currently more jobs in the south. Regardless of taxes, there is far more overall wealth in the supposedly "unhappy" areas, and isn't that the ultimate goal? Hey, my taxes are low but so are my wages, hooray! People also always talk about the northern hustle and bustle, the rat race in pursuit of that wealth, and I have to think that is far more stressful than being satisfied with less. The Amish always rate "happiest" in the country, so if you want to be even happier than Southerners, move to the PA/IN/WI/OH sticks and join on up with the Plain People

Old 09-16-2014, 11:53 AM

172 posts, read 255,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post

Yeah whoever put Louisiana cities so high is a crazy person. I've lived here only since December, but have visited family here for over 20 years. My family whose been here all their lives wants to move. I was robbed within a week and a half of moving to Baton Rouge. Took me 6 months to find a job here, whereas in my last city Birmingham, AL it only took me a month right out of college with no experience to find one. I DO love the Cajun festivals like crawfish boils and Mardi Gras, but it's not worth having to deal with some of the ignorant people here the rest of the year. Every gathering of friends here is centered around alcohol and everyone drinks all the time. It's fine to go out on weekends and have a few, but the people here do it all the time and drink to excess. There isn't much to do if you don't enjoy that type of thing. My husband and I are moving by next Spring because I long for a place that isn't so hot and has a variety of activities.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:57 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
...maybe there is truth to the saying "ignorance is bliss..."

Old 09-17-2014, 12:14 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
Lafayette Louisiana has gigabit fiber internet citywide, lots of retail and amenities, a rich cultural history, heavy emphasis on arts and music, a steadily growing middle class, an enthusiastic base of entrepreneurs and leaders with an eye towards the future. It looks both back to its cultural Cajun and oilfield roots, but also forward to high tech and medical industry, and its growing economic base. More and more young graduates are choosing to remain around here, increasing the cooperative intelligence of this great little city with all sorts of technical and economic initiatives, seminars, plans for future growth. The food is incredible as you'd expect. The people are cordial and helpful as is the Cajun way. You can still find packed dance floors in some restaurants, dancing to live Cajun music the traditional way. It is a great place to raise a family, with lots of safe neighborhoods in close proximity to everything. Lafayette is absolutely one of the most enjoyable little cities to live in. Its not ignorance that defines this city, but the polar opposite. We have an appreciation for the world outside our borders, as they come to visit the little world inside of it. We have one of the best World Music Festivals called Festival International, art walks, a whole ton of events, a 20 year Downtown development plan to bring more youths into the city core, all sorts of projects and near constant construction everywhere bringing increasingly more options to the residents of this place.
I can fully understand why the optimism and enthusiasm for living here makes it the happiest city. It is well deserved.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:45 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
LA people are happy people they drink/party more than the rest of the country and enjoy life thats why I love visiting New Orleans its the best drinking town in the United States. Only downside to Loooweezeenana is the heat and humidity.. can be brutal in the fall and summer. I would never move to LA but its one my fav places to vacation and the people are super welcoming and friendly almost everyone I met in New Orleans was cool as heck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.