Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 02:41 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,947,442 times

Advertisements

I don't get it. I mean, there's no rhyme or reason as to why an area with a strong college presence should be correlated with gay population. It's just college for crying out loud. And even after gays graduate college, they're still gay as they get older.

An example would be New Haven, CT. It's less populated than other places, yet it has a higher gay population, because of colleges. WHY?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 02:49 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,878,757 times
Because college towns and cities tend to be more gay friendly. But it does depend on the school. Places like Starkville, MS or Tuscaloosa, AL are not as gay friendly as Ann Arbor or Madison.

Old 09-16-2014, 05:52 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Most college towns I have seen have trended to be highly educated, more tolerant and an open minded population. There seems to be less religion getting in the way of people thinking about life and priorities.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:30 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Most college towns I have seen have trended to be highly educated, more tolerant and an open minded population. There seems to be less religion getting in the way of people thinking about life and priorities.
I don't know, I find that colleges can be totalitarian in their own way. And I'm saying this as a very liberal guy.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:00 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Maybe it's more of a stereotype than a reality. According to data here on C-D, gay males make up only 0.4% of households in Ann Arbor, and lesbians only make up 0.6%. I mean, those numbers are comparable to most of the small, more conservative towns around here (I live 20 minutes from Ann Arbor). Also, our daughter is a student at U of M Ann Arbor so I'm there quite often and the vast majority of couples you see out and about are straight.

I have heard it said that AA is much more conservative than people think. Maybe there's some truth to that.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:56 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,063,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Maybe it's more of a stereotype than a reality. According to data here on C-D, gay males make up only 0.4% of households in Ann Arbor, and lesbians only make up 0.6%. I mean, those numbers are comparable to most of the small, more conservative towns around here (I live 20 minutes from Ann Arbor). Also, our daughter is a student at U of M Ann Arbor so I'm there quite often and the vast majority of couples you see out and about are straight.

I have heard it said that AA is much more conservative than people think. Maybe there's some truth to that.
As a gay dude who has adopted Michigan as home I don't know that I agree with this. Ann Arbor definitely has a higher proportion of gays. It's not a gay bastion, but most cities aren't. Those numbers you state I have to think are low, it's hard to get a good handle on actual statistics of the gay population because there are quite a few who when asked won't self identify as gay to a complete stanger.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:59 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
More gay people in younger generations who are not afraid to flaunt it... not that its a bad thing, kind of cool how they feel comfortable.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:29 PM

26 posts, read 94,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I don't get it. I mean, there's no rhyme or reason as to why an area with a strong college presence should be correlated with gay population. It's just college for crying out loud. And even after gays graduate college, they're still gay as they get older.

An example would be New Haven, CT. It's less populated than other places, yet it has a higher gay population, because of colleges. WHY?!
Are you serious? I mean is this really a serious post... You must be from somewhere very conservative. I have never even heard somebody TALK this way let alone ask such a question. Let me ask you this.. why are there so many blondes in California? I mean, even after they leave California, they're still blonde. Wait.. It doesn't matter... at all. Just like who people are attracted to doesn't matter.. at all. I suggest you travel a little and experience cultures that are much more open minded than your own, because in order to seriously ask a question like this, you must be living a very sheltered life.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:32 PM

133 posts, read 236,538 times
Is it really that hard to understand?
Being gay in a small town is a struggle for a plethora of reasons and it's already common for gays to get out of their small town and run to a big, liberal city like NYC or SF... Running to a college town is just another common option. Why the hell would they want to go to your typical, main st america town that doesn't cater at all to their lifestyle?

Old 09-16-2014, 08:39 PM

5,294 posts, read 6,063,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlind985 View Post
Are you serious? I mean is this really a serious post... You must be from somewhere very conservative. I have never even heard somebody TALK this way let alone ask such a question. Let me ask you this.. why are there so many blondes in California? I mean, even after they leave California, they're still blonde. Wait.. It doesn't matter... at all. Just like who people are attracted to doesn't matter.. at all. I suggest you travel a little and experience cultures that are much more open minded than your own, because in order to seriously ask a question like this, you must be living a very sheltered life.

Is this your first nep thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.