Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 11:13 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times

Advertisements

I here people arguing and debating about what the best places to live are and that is somewhat subjective. However, is not the formula to determine this really simple? Are not the most expensive cities to live, excluding Alaska and Hawaii, an indication of supply vs demand? In other words, those places are expensive to live because so many people really want to live there. Right?

It's just that simple. I understand that bounded areas, that are blocked in by mountains or bodies of water and prevents sprawl increases demand for a limited supply of land, and hence price points. I understand that. However, still, places cost a lot to live because a lot of people want to live there and people want to live there because they think its a good place to live. People might flock to other places because ITS CHEAP....but that does not mean that the place is really where they would prefer to be.

I mean, more people drive cheap cars than they do expensive cars....but they, as a general rule, don't drive the cheaper car because that is what they really want, but rather, they drive it because that is what they can afford. Thus, an area may BOOM, because its CHEAP, but that does not mean that the volume of growth is an indication that its where people really want to live, all other things being equal (which they never are).

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 09-17-2014 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 11:51 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,405 times
I have a simpler one:

1) Where do you want to live?
2) Are there jobs in your field where you want to live?

Damn that was easy

Old 09-17-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
I have a simpler one:

1) Where do you want to live?
2) Are there jobs in your field where you want to live?

Damn that was easy
Your field might be fast foods, bartender or the like...and you might want to live in the Bay Area of California. How is that going to work out for yah? There are job openings in those fields....right? You would not be able to afford it....despite wanting to live there. Now, you might can take those skill sets to Texas, Georgia or someplace cheap and survive better....but you will have picked those places out of necessity....and not out of desire (other than the desire to survive).

Old 09-17-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Your field might be fast foods, bartender or the like...and you might want to live in the Bay Area of California. How is that going to work out for yah? There are job openings in those fields....right?
Yeah, but that's on them and their quality of life. You think fast food workers have a great quality of life anywhere? You're dreaming.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but that's on them and their quality of life. You think fast food workers have a great quality of life anywhere? You're dreaming.
A rent of 300 dollars a month vs a rent of 1200 dollars makes a big difference for the working poor.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:05 PM

555 posts, read 861,425 times
first, i consider the density of the skyline. Second, I consider how many people think the city is more northern and how many people think the city is more southern. Last, I consider how far it is away from NYC.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
A rent of 300 dollars a month vs a rent of 1200 dollars makes a big difference for the working poor.
So either you live in a place that is so awful that it offsets the rent, or you can't pay the rent.

Sounds like its equal to me. If you're a working poor, you're a working poor no matter where you are. You're going to be surrounded by other working poor, with very little chance for social mobility unless YOU decide to get there.

Moving from one place to another won't make much of a difference if your quality of life expectations are so low.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
So either you live in a place that is so awful that it offsets the rent, or you can't pay the rent.

Sounds like its equal to me. If you're a working poor, you're a working poor no matter where you are. You're going to be surrounded by other working poor, with very little chance for social mobility unless YOU decide to get there.

Moving from one place to another won't make much of a difference if your quality of life expectations are so low.
I do not agree. Its the same difference as being poor and looking to buy a car. The car you WANT you likely cannot afford....thus you pick the car that you can afford....and still have money left for other necessities.

There are metro areas where people would love to live, but just cannot afford to....so they pick someplace cheaper so they can afford other necessities and desires. The best places to live are the places people REALLY want to live, if all other things being equal. However, since demand relative to supply increases price when demand is higher than supply.....the best places to live become unaffordable for many.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 09-17-2014 at 12:30 PM..

Old 09-17-2014, 01:36 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,171,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
first, i consider the density of the skyline. Second, I consider how many people think the city is more northern and how many people think the city is more southern. Last, I consider how far it is away from NYC.
Hilarious--hopefully I'm not the only one who gets this.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:37 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Hilarious--hopefully I'm not the only one who gets this.
I laughed as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.