Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 06:35 AM

35 posts, read 48,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
What are your goals for the drive? Is sightseeing involved? I-40 in Western Oklahoma, the Texas Panhandle, and Eastern New Mexico is just as flat and boring as Kansas and Nebraska, and the Grand Canyon is a bit of a hike off the freeway.

If weather is your main concern then I'd recommend I-40, but if sightseeing is a priority I'd go through Denver and take I-70 to I-15.
Sightseeing definitely, without having to go too far off the highway. I somehow figure the south would be prettier than the midwest, but flat boring land doesn't sound like opportunities for seeing sights lol. Weather? meh not so much. In fact i think it would be cool to see the transition in weather as i drive. If I go the Denver route, what other states are involved?

I probably will end up going south just for the fact that i wanna check out Charleston and New Orleans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 06:42 AM

35 posts, read 48,919 times
My ideal route, now looking at a map, would be to drive down the coast to South Carolina, then Georgia, skip over Alabama, cruise through Louisiana, skip over Texas it's a time waster too big, go up to Colorado and watch skiers in Vail and Aspen, go back down to Arizona (phoenix) for some sinus relief, then drive up to Vegas and finally Southern California.

Someone should create a highway that can make this happen

Old 09-19-2014, 09:53 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,017,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tifflee92 View Post
My ideal route, now looking at a map, would be to drive down the coast to South Carolina, then Georgia, skip over Alabama, cruise through Louisiana, skip over Texas it's a time waster too big, go up to Colorado and watch skiers in Vail and Aspen, go back down to Arizona (phoenix) for some sinus relief, then drive up to Vegas and finally Southern California.

Someone should create a highway that can make this happen
If you have enough time...

New York
New Jersey (Northern)
Pennsylvania (Eastern)
Maryland (Western)
West Virginia
Kentucky (Eastern)
Virginia (Western)
Tennessee (Eastern)
North Carolina (Western)
South Carolina
Georgia (Southern)
Florida (Northern)
Alabama (Southern)
Mississippi (Southern)
Lousiana (Southern)
Texas (Southern)
New Mexico
Colorado (Western)
Utah (Southern)
Arizona (Northern)
Nevada (Southern)
California (Southern)

22 states!

Would you really consider taking the Arkansas-Oklahoma route driving from NOLA to ABQ just to avoid Texas

Old 09-19-2014, 10:08 AM

3,453 posts, read 4,525,456 times
The main highway system running through the boring farmed plains of OH/IN/IL/IA totally blows the northern route. That and Lake Huron/Lake Michigan blocking a direct course through the scenic MI/WI/MN states. Unless you want to run Buffalo-to-Detroit through Canada - used to be a viable option, but is now a pain.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:56 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,248 times
Quote:
Weather? meh not so much. In fact i think it would be cool to see the transition in weather as i drive. If I go the Denver route, what other states are involved?
Going through Denver means (barring a major detour) crossing either through Neb/Iowa, or Kansas/MO. The only advantage is that they're more direct.

As for the weather, you shouldn't blow that off as a consideration. Your concern in Nov. isn't the wind (often blowing strong year round in WY), or even the possibility of snow, but ice. And that's particularly true if you plan to drive at/after dusk.

A spattering of late afternoon rain when it's 38-40 doesn't seem like a big deal, but a few hours later that water on the road can turn to black ice. If you're speeding across the plains (and having done it several times, cross-country drives pretty inevitably mean trying to speed to get through the dull stretches), frankly it's a good way to end up going from smooth sailing to wreck quickly, since you aren't a local familiar with the conditions or the roads.

In November things can be warm and dry, or they might not be. If you do plan to drive after dark, I agree with DinsdaleP - go ahead and take I-40. It's the least likely to have the risk of ice in November. And frankly, long stretches of I-80 are dull anyway. On I-40 the dull stretch is basically Tulsa to Tucumcari. You could go as far south as I-20/10, though you're really adding extra miles to do that.

Edit - I've done most of the major east west routes (40/80/90/Can-1) and one of the most amazing sights I've ever had doing a cross-country run was heading west out of Tucumcari on I-40 as dawn broke. The NM mountains in the fall morning light were magical.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:45 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times
There is no possible way to avoid the Great Plains on your trip, regardless which route you take. It runs from the northern-most border of the USA to the Gulf of Mexico, and it's fairly evenly wide most of the way (a bit wider further North, but there are more interesting features IMO). You're going to have to deal with some dull scenery, period. In my experience, and having traveled across what I'd like to hope are THE most boring states to drive through, South Dakota was one of the less painful choices, as there are several Interstate destinations along the way (kind of like the old "byways" that people used to travel before the Interstates ruined everything). However, it sounds like SD is very out of the way for where you're trying to go.

Old 09-19-2014, 12:17 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,525,456 times
Yeah, I tried to think of a way the OP could go through SD without hitting that crazy-long stretch of boredom across the OH/IN/IL/IA farm belt, but it only really works if you're going PNW and not SoCal. I too prefer that way to the one south, but again...not in this instance.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:49 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,000,204 times
Quote:
Curious what your experience(s) were like? Also does the huge amount of miles in such short period of time take a toll on your car?
my cars never had a problem (1988 Toyota MiniVan: 3x, 1994 Ford Explorer: 3x, 1997 Plymouth Voyager 2x. 2007 Ford Ranger 3.5x)

The most enjoyable trips are the ones that you can take your time on, driving between 4 - 8 hours a day, stopping at interesting places and events, visiting friends along the way et al.

I've found out that I tap out after about 14 hours, although I did a non-stop st. Louis to Albany NY non stop in 22 hours.

I try to find the non-franchises places to eat. More hits than misses.
Microtels are great hotels if you just need to sleep
Hotels with pools and hot tubs and a bar are to be taken advantage of,

Old 09-20-2014, 09:10 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Sightseeing definitely, without having to go too far off the highway. I somehow figure the south would be prettier than the midwest, but flat boring land doesn't sound like opportunities for seeing sights lol. Weather? meh not so much. In fact i think it would be cool to see the transition in weather as i drive. If I go the Denver route, what other states are involved?

I probably will end up going south just for the fact that i wanna check out Charleston and New Orleans.
Depends on what you mean by "the Denver route". From NYC, I'd probably recommend getting on I-80 somwhere (not that familiar with NY) in PA, then 80 to Ogallala Nebraska. You'll skirt the Chicago suburbs, cross the Mississippi at the Quad Cities (Rock Island and Moline, IL/Davenport, Bettendorf IA), drive across IA with its rolling hills. They almost put me to sleep on time; I had to pull of at a rest area by West Branch, IA (birthplace of Herbert Hoover). You'll go through Omaha, Lincoln, and a bunch of little cities/towns in Nebraska. I-80 through NE follows the route of the old Oregon Trail, a little history on the way. At Ogallala, get on I-76 and take it into the Denver area, get on I-25 south to I-70. From Denver, you can drive across 70 until it ends in western Utah. I've never driven to CA, so I can't advise you any further. It looks like you get on 1-15 in Utah, go through Las Vegas and into CA. You can also take I-25 south out of Denver, go through New Mexico and pick up I-40 in Albuquerque, 40 into AZ to I-15 as above.

Old 09-20-2014, 09:51 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,595,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
There is no possible way to avoid the Great Plains on your trip, regardless which route you take. It runs from the northern-most border of the USA to the Gulf of Mexico, and it's fairly evenly wide most of the way (a bit wider further North, but there are more interesting features IMO). You're going to have to deal with some dull scenery, period. In my experience, and having traveled across what I'd like to hope are THE most boring states to drive through, South Dakota was one of the less painful choices, as there are several Interstate destinations along the way (kind of like the old "byways" that people used to travel before the Interstates ruined everything). However, it sounds like SD is very out of the way for where you're trying to go.
Having driven through all states from Texas up to North Dakota I agree 100%. From the main highway, South Dakota is the only state that does resemble a barren wasteland. Amarillo might be the most depressing place on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.