Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 04:55 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,597,462 times

Advertisements

I honestly believe Toronto may have the largest Chinatown in North America. It was huge. Question for New Yorkers. Has the Chinatown area in lower Manhatten taken over Little Italy? I was curious because it seemed so to me but I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 08:42 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I honestly believe Toronto may have the largest Chinatown in North America. It was huge. Question for New Yorkers. Has the Chinatown area in lower Manhatten taken over Little Italy? I was curious because it seemed so to me but I could be wrong.
Yeah Little Italy is just a couple of blocks along Mulberry Street now, surrounded on 3 sides by Chinatown. Chinatown has spread under the Manhattan Bridge and into the Lower East Side as far as Seward Park, and to Broadway to the west. Even Brooklyn's Little Italy in Bensonhurst is shrinking. The Italians, for the most part, aren't a recent immigrant group anymore, so they have largely dispersed or moved to Staten Italy.

Old 12-28-2007, 08:54 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,184,331 times
Chinatown in Chicago is like another country. Its vibrant ane expanding. As a matter of fact, the mayor's boyhood home was bought by some Asian folks.

I kind of like it. There's a subway stop, a park and gateway and blocks of restaurants and shops. Plus, there are drug stores, banks, churches, fire houses, food stores and all the other types of conveniences you'd expect in a city neighborhood. Its just that these are Asian folks on the soul side of Chicago. You gotta see it.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:16 AM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
New York is my favorite, followed by San Francisco. Both cities' Chinatowns are a bit touristy, but there is a sense of authenticity based on the fact that (in NYC especially) they are still expanding immigrant communities where a lot of Chinese people actually still live, as opposed to some of the other Chinatowns in this country which are more historical or just for show. Boston's is decent too. The other ones I have been to haven't impressed me much.

While not traditional Chinatowns in the "pagoda entrance" sort of way, I also find the alternate Chinatowns that have sprung up in New York, largely in Sunset Park in Brooklyn and Flushing in Queens to be pretty cool places. Ditto for the suburban Chinatowns in the San Gabriel Valley outside of Los Angeles, notably Monterey Park.

While not in the U.S., I've heard that Toronto has five separate Chinatowns and from pictures I've seen, they look like they rival, if not surpass, anything that we have in the U.S. Vancouver's is supposed to be pretty cool too.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:15 AM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,957 times
Thumbs up Staten Italy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Yeah Little Italy is just a couple of blocks along Mulberry Street now, surrounded on 3 sides by Chinatown. Chinatown has spread under the Manhattan Bridge and into the Lower East Side as far as Seward Park, and to Broadway to the west. Even Brooklyn's Little Italy in Bensonhurst is shrinking. The Italians, for the most part, aren't a recent immigrant group anymore, so they have largely dispersed or moved to Staten Italy.
Staten Italy.

Typo?

Old 12-28-2007, 04:08 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,765,129 times
1. San Francisco
2. New York
3. im not sure

those are my favorites!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:29 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,581,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
In Seattle where I live, there's a pretty small Chinatown on the fringe of downtown. More of such an ethnic enclave is seeming to develop throughout the suburbs, as in strip malls. This is the case in many California cities, although the Chinatowns in Los Angeles & San Fran continue to be packed with locals & tourists- same with the Chinatown in Honolulu. Up in Vancouver, its Chinatown seems to be dying, however there's lots of ethnic development in the suburbs too. I was not too impressed with the Boston & New York City Chinatowns in terms of variety of stores, good atmosphere, etc...although I remember Queens to have a thriving "ethnic enclave"

Do any of you have a favorite Chinatown in America, for whatever reasons?

Also, I'm going to Dallas & Houston late next year & was wondering if there's a Chinatown district in those areas or is it ethnic suburban strip malls that fill that void in those areas? As in, they are like Buford Highway outside Atlanta, in terms of how ethnic enclave developments go? How about Washington, DC?
Hands down the best Chinatown in America is in San Francisco Cali ,
the most visited and most widely known Chinatown thur - out the Internation Tourist Circles. Los Angeles has a top flight Chinatown to....Portland Oregon..Seattle Washington...Vanconver British Columbia Canada..Phoenix Az Chinatown is being torned down and taken over by the city of Phoenix..Houston TX is flying under the Radar , but may one day have one of the best Chinatown in North America...Toronto Ontario Canada is up there with San Francisco Cali to so there you have it.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:38 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,947,333 times
I live in the international district/Chinatown in Seattle. Its awesome with lots of great places to shop/eat/etc. Though its awesome, i would say San Francisco holds the best Chinatown crown.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:52 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,015 times
Manhattan's Chinatown is the largest in the Western Hemisphere... Behind China in the Eastern Hemisphere, of course. In Manhattan's Chinatown, there are 600 factories, over 350 restaurants, 27 banks, and 50 Chinese health spa/massage parlors... And Chinatown is still growing.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:13 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,091 times
how could it not be san francisco? SF takes the cake. case closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.