Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 05:15 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,315,370 times

Advertisements

So any thoughts on the best city festivals in the country?

I worded it like that because I wouldn't be interested in hearing about Bonaroo or akin music festivals, but more like festivals that shut down city blocks or are in a city park and attract a ton of people with food, music, attractions, and other vendors.

Bele Chere in Asheville was very cool for me. New Orleans on Halloween weekend is definitely awesome. I hear Savannah's St Patty's Day can't be beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 05:17 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Oktoberfest Zinzinnati.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:58 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
This right here
www.festivalinternational.com

Old 09-24-2014, 07:22 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Taste of(name your city here)........Like this: Home

There was this one this past Sunday that shuts the street down: Westcott Street Cultural Fair

There are other cultural festivals with food that shut some of the streets down near this square: http://www.syracuse.ny.us/parks/clin...areevents.html

This is another one that shut down some streets: AmeriCU Syracuse Arts & Crafts Festival » Downtown Committee of Syracuse

Old 09-24-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Taste of(name your city here)........Like this: Home

There was this one this past Sunday that shuts the street down: Westcott Street Cultural Fair

There are other cultural festivals with food that shut some of the streets down near this square: http://www.syracuse.ny.us/parks/clin...areevents.html

This is another one that shut down some streets: AmeriCU Syracuse Arts & Crafts Festival » Downtown Committee of Syracuse
Can you drink beer and cocktails on the streets of any of those? If so, you may earn some respect points for a dearthy town...

Old 09-24-2014, 07:47 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
Festival international takes place on five stages and shuts the entire downtown down for five days. Bands from around the world and street performers, food kiosks from regional restaurants, and 400k people having the time of their lives. Easily my favorite event every year. Its even convenient to park for free at Cajun field and ride the buses into the event. I highly highly recommend attending it at least once in your life.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
Festival international takes place on five stages and shuts the entire downtown down for five days. Bands from around the world and street performers, food kiosks from regional restaurants, and 400k people having the time of their lives. Easily my favorite event every year. Its even convenient to park for free at Cajun field and ride the buses into the event. I highly highly recommend attending it at least once in your life.
You and your post are awesome. Thank you for letting us all know about this. This is the kind of thing I'm after. Smart people get this!

Old 09-24-2014, 08:46 PM

93,185 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Can you drink beer and cocktails on the streets of any of those? If so, you may earn some respect points for a dearthy town...
Taste of Syracuse comes to mind on the night of the concert. I believe at some of the other festivals, you can as well.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:12 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
In Jacksonville the answer would be One Spark, "the World's Crowdfunding Festival." It's a combination of ArtPrize in Grand Rapids and SXSW in Austin. 400,000 visitors to downtown Jax this year.

You are right about Savannah for St. Paddys, and New Orleans is a good choice almost year round.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:20 AM

814 posts, read 2,042,667 times
Fantasy Fest in key west, Florida is pretty crazy. Its a 10 day long festival . they shut down part of duval street and let things go crazy. The last Friday and Saturday night night are the always the bomb diggity if you cant make all 10 days. you can drink cocktails in the street and lots of crazy costumes and half naked body painted people running around. it culminates in a big float parade on Saturday night. Fantasy Fest is always held the last full week of October.
Official Fantasy Fest Website - Key West, Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.