Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 05:51 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKEastsider View Post
Milwaukee vs. Madison might have been a rivalry 30-or-so years ago back when Madison was just a middle-class university town and Milwaukee was more blue-collar and industrial. But that divide isn't nearly as pronounced or relevant these days. Madison has nearly doubled in size since then, and UW-Milwaukee has grown into a legit research institution in its own right while Milwaukee itself has seen plenty of urban renewal and become a much more modern city.

The only think I can say is that some Madisonians seem to be on a perpetual mission to prove how much more liberal and progressive their city is than the rest of Wisconsin, and this is frequently directed at Milwaukee, where the voting patterns are most similar to Madison's. But even that doesn't seem to happen as frequently since Scott Walker was elected.

If Milwaukee has any in-state rival these days, it's Waukesha County.
of course it is out-of-state, but I certainly would think Milwaukee sees Chicago as its biggest rival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 06:45 PM

302 posts, read 768,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
In Michigan its Detroit vs. Grand Rapids.
I'd say Detroit vs Detroit's suburbs is a way bigger one here.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:47 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
^^^
Yeah, i doubt that many Detroiters even really know GR exists, let alone have some kind of rivalry with them. Honestly, I never hear anyone in Detroit even talk about GR. It's silly to think that GR can challenge the Detroit area for dominance in the state. They are just in two different leagues. I agree it's Detroit vs the suburbs for sure, has been for decades!

PS, I've only learned about GR on this and other forums in the past couple of years, and am very impressed with it. Never knew it offered so much and was as urban as it is. It'll be great to see it continue to grow and evolve as time goes on, Michigan needs two great cities, not just one.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:33 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoftheNorth View Post
I'd say Detroit vs Detroit's suburbs is a way bigger one here.
I'd say Detroit and it's suburbs are like the Hatfield's and the McCoy's.

There is no Grand Rapids - Detroit rivalry. Neither of those cities residents really think much about each other. Unless it's Detroiters looking for beer or the lake shore, or Grand Rapidians looking for sporting events.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:38 PM

223 posts, read 391,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
of course it is out-of-state, but I certainly would think Milwaukee sees Chicago as its biggest rival.
The fact that Chicago is out of state disqualifies it from the topic of this thread. Even then, I would say that the average Milwaukeean has more amicable feelings towards Chicago than to their own suburbs these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.