Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 06:59 PM

12 posts, read 13,967 times

Advertisements

Good evening!

I will be graduating from grad school in May and I'm looking to move to a larger city (I'm in rural PA) with:

- good or up and coming art scene (galleries to show work, great artist community, etc.)
- good or up and coming music scene (I play in a alt/rock/latin/hip hop fuzed band)
- diversity (I'm a black Latino)
- job opportunities (in either teaching or the art/music/creative/advertising fields)
- affordability

I'm single and 26. Originally from NYC (too expensive). But have lived most of my life in the Caribbean and in North NJ area. Most of my family lives in NY and in Allentown, PA area.

Cities on my radar:

Miami [proximity to the Caribbean, extremely large Latino population, bubbling art scene are all pluses]
Philadelphia [super close to my family and the NYC scene]
Austin [great music scene]
Dallas
Houston

.. to a lesser extent:

Minneapolis
Raliegh/Research Triangle
Athens/Atlanta
Chicago
Detroit
Pittsburgh [extremely affordable, I've done a couple of shows theres, but doesn't seem diverse]

Ideally, I'd love to try and settle in to wherever I move. I want to eventually open up my own production company that focuses on creating music videos for artists.

My family is pushing for me to move to Philadelphia. I'm leaning towards Miami. But who knows, a lot can change from now until May. Sorry for the long post, I figured the more information the better.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 07:02 PM

I also wouldn't rule out the Ohio area.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:07 PM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
What about Boston, which has a pretty strong Caribbean vibe with Dominican, Puerto Rican, Jamaican, Haitian and Bajan communities?

A sleeper may be Rochester NY. Perhaps NE Ohio and Milwaukee as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-29-2014 at 07:16 PM..

Old 09-29-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Boston, which has a pretty strong Caribbean vibe with Dominican, Puerto Rican, Jamaican, Haitian and Bajan communities?

A sleeper may be Rochester NY.
I've actually never considered Boston. I'm going to look into it, thanks.

Are you familiar with the Boston area? Thoughts on it?

Old 09-29-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANT0 View Post
I've actually never considered Boston. I'm going to look into it, thanks.

Are you familiar with the Boston area? Thoughts on it?
What makes Boston interesting is that the Black population is diverse and so is the Latino community there. Places like Cambridge, Everett, Lawrence, Milton, Somerville, Malden, Medford, parts of Chelsea, Lynn, maybe parts of Brockton, Randolph and parts of the city like Dorchester, Hyde Park, Roslindale, Roxbury, East Boston and Mattapan, among others, may be worth a look.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:12 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
How well do you know Miami? Honestly though I feel like for your ambition and line of work would mean that pretty much any city would be good. Cause in arts and music if you end up some place that is severely lacking then you get the opportunity to create it and fill a void and help that community grow. And of course if you're in NYC or LA then you reap the benefits of the abundant scenes there. So wherever you end up you can make the most of it.

That said, Miami certainly has tons of opportunities for both…Art Basel and Winter Music Conference as two examples…but it can also be hellish to try and make a living and survive. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2014, 10:25 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,891,781 times
Austin is totally overrated. They have one big music festival a year where they bring in people from across the country and declare they are the live music capital of the US.

I would suggest either Houston or Miami. Both cities have much to offer but the FL beaches can't be beat. Houston is the opposite of Austin - completely underrated. The only problem is there isn't a strong Caribbean vibe in Houston.

NE Ohio is a great place but not Latino. At all. The Black population is American based.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
How well do you know Miami? Honestly though I feel like for your ambition and line of work would mean that pretty much any city would be good. Cause in arts and music if you end up some place that is severely lacking then you get the opportunity to create it and fill a void and help that community grow. And of course if you're in NYC or LA then you reap the benefits of the abundant scenes there. So wherever you end up you can make the most of it.

That said, Miami certainly has tons of opportunities for both…Art Basel and Winter Music Conference as two examples…but it can also be hellish to try and make a living and survive. Good luck!
Miami is usually my go to spot whenever I have a week or two off for vacation. I've explored the good and the bad but I've never lived or worked there, so I don't know much. I think it has a great combination of everything that I'm looking for but what scares me is its economy (and lack of jobs, from what I've heard) and the cost of living.

And thanks for your feedback. You brought up a really good point in your first paragraph.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Austin is totally overrated. They have one big music festival a year where they bring in people from across the country and declare they are the live music capital of the US.

I would suggest either Houston or Miami. Both cities have much to offer but the FL beaches can't be beat. Houston is the opposite of Austin - completely underrated. The only problem is there isn't a strong Caribbean vibe in Houston.

NE Ohio is a great place but not Latino. At all. The Black population is American based.
That's what everyone keeps telling me about Ohio. Good to know.

Do you know anything about the music/art scene in Houston and Miami? Where does Dallas fall into this mix?

Thanks again!

Old 09-30-2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post

Actually, there are Hispanic/Latino communities in some of the big and even smaller cities in NE Ohio. They may not be huge, but some are bigger than others. Ashtabula, Painesville, Youngstown, Campbell, Cleveland and Lorain are some cities with decent Hispanic/Latino communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.