U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 02:48 PM

3 posts, read 2,884 times

Advertisements

Hi City-Data,

My names Blaise and I'm an Irish student who will be going on an exchange for one semester (or possibly two if I choose) to the US next Autumn (or fall as you guys call it..fall sounds better tbh) and I have to make my decision this October. They're are four partner universities to mine in the US but I've narrowed it down to either UMass Boston (College of Management) or UT Austin (McCombs).

I've heard good and bad things about both places and university's (mainly good) and think I would have a great time at either but I'm hoping for some advice as I know very little about either overall. I know that McCombs is probably a better business school than UMass in terms of rankings and all that? But as I'll most likely be working in Ireland after I get my degree, employers won't really know much difference between them. Im more concerned with having a good time as I doubt I'll have too many chances to experience the US of A after this.

Anyone willing to give me their opinion on things like costs, atmosphere, people, college life(No campus accomodation in UMass and alcohol not allowed?), college difficulty (which one is harder? I heard only 15% of UMass students graduate within 4yrs) and nightlife. Also what would it be like to make friends in each place? I will probably be going alone or possibly with one other person, and I would like to make friends with some locals if I could, not just other international students.

Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 03:10 PM

239 posts, read 277,935 times
I'm biased but.........

If prestige of the degree is no barrier, I would go with UMass Boston. Boston is a great city with a lot of Irish history. UMass Boston also has the JFK Presidential Library. Boston is also just a great place to live and visit, it's very diverse and vibrant with beautiful countryside within a short drive. For example, an hour and a half (if that) north and you're in the beautiful White Mountains. There is also a ton of early American history there so if you're into learning about the history of the United States, there is probably no better place than Boston.

If you want a more typical American college experience, UT Austin would be your best bet.

Old 09-30-2014, 03:19 PM

3 posts, read 2,884 times
I've heard about there being a lot of Irish people and history (my parents tell me I have distant cousins there) but I never knew it was near a countryside, sounds nice! Do you know much about UMB? As that's where I'll be most of my time.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:27 PM

I know nothing about the school itself. But if you're into the water, you can also head down to Cape Cod as well. Boston is underrated in the natural beauty surrounding it.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:32 PM

43,562 posts, read 52,678,186 times
I'd pick Austin.
Way more affordable for all the out of school adventuring you'd like to do.
Being in the middle of the country will give you greater access to it, too.

Both places are a good time for a student, IMO.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:00 PM

If I were advising someone coming to the United States for the first (and possibly only) time on places to live, I'm not sure if I'd pick Texas. It's relatively out in the middle of nowhere so you have to travel farther to see more exciting things. At least in Boston, you're close to the Appalachians, the Atlantic and have relatively cheap transit options to New York and much of the BosWash corridor.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:04 PM

3,399 posts, read 4,804,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway Freak View Post
If I were advising someone coming to the United States for the first (and possibly only) time on places to live, I'm not sure if I'd pick Texas. It's relatively out in the middle of nowhere so you have to travel farther to see more exciting things. At least in Boston, you're close to the Appalachians, the Atlantic and have relatively cheap transit options to New York and much of the BosWash corridor.
This^^^

Old 09-30-2014, 09:01 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,064,736 times
Texas is relatively out in the middle of nowhere? Strange posts I see on this forum at times.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Texas is relatively out in the middle of nowhere? Strange posts I see on this forum at times.
Yes, very much so.

If you are someone from a non-North American country and you are looking to see and learn a lot about American history and culture while experiencing the diversity of landscapes and experiences that our country can offer, Texas is not a place to go if you want any sort of variety. I'm sorry but the Northeast corridor in unparalleled in the diversity of experiences that one can have within a relatively short drive.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:09 PM

1,795 posts, read 2,568,107 times
Just depends on what country your moving from. Texas has a large variety of Asians, Africans, and Central Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or