Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2014, 06:32 PM

344 posts, read 1,052,339 times

Advertisements

I'm considering quitting my corporate career, starting out as a freelancer, working from home somewhere with a much cheaper cost of living (I'm currently in NYC, very expensive and high taxes). I'd buy a house with savings, rent out 1 BR just to have extra money flowing in, and live off additional savings until the freelance career gets rolling.

Things I'd want:
- cheap housing that'll likely be a good investment in the long term
- state/city with low tax burden (income tax and/or property tax)
- decent sized city so there's at least some economic activity
- warm weather or pleasant weather a majority of the year
- lots of young people, single people, etc. Not a retirement city or city where average age is 45
- not in Northeast US

What I don't need
- proximity to ocean
- any typical political bias (conservative, liberal, etc.)
- any particular industry or company nearby

Ideas?

I've already thought about lots of cities.. here are a few: Las Vegas, Austin TX, Nashville, Phoenix, Denver, Seattle, Jacksonville Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 06:38 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Nashville.....

Old 10-01-2014, 06:49 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
If your new endeavor would require extensive travel I'd recommend Atlanta. Housing is a relative bargain, it has a young population with a number of neighborhoods where young professionals live/work, a somewhat mild four season climate and of course the benefit of having one of the busiest airports in the world nearby. Check out places like Avondale Estates, Cabbagetown, Kirkwood, Old Fourth Ward or Westside.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:04 PM

730 posts, read 815,819 times
Agree with the above recommendations. I'd do Nashville first, then Atlanta.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:09 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,891,340 times
If you can stand ungodly heat and humidity and aren't an outdoorsy person you might wanna try Dallas-Fort Worth. Low overall cost of living and no state income tax.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:16 PM

6,077 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Look in Charleston, WV. I feel that it meets your criteria.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:06 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie555 View Post
I'm considering quitting my corporate career, starting out as a freelancer, working from home somewhere with a much cheaper cost of living (I'm currently in NYC, very expensive and high taxes). I'd buy a house with savings, rent out 1 BR just to have extra money flowing in, and live off additional savings until the freelance career gets rolling.

Things I'd want:
- cheap housing that'll likely be a good investment in the long term
- state/city with low tax burden (income tax and/or property tax)
- decent sized city so there's at least some economic activity
- warm weather or pleasant weather a majority of the year
- lots of young people, single people, etc. Not a retirement city or city where average age is 45
- not in Northeast US

What I don't need
- proximity to ocean
- any typical political bias (conservative, liberal, etc.)
- any particular industry or company nearby

Ideas?

I've already thought about lots of cities.. here are a few: Las Vegas, Austin TX, Nashville, Phoenix, Denver, Seattle, Jacksonville Beach.
Jacksonville hits on all your wants. For real estate investment it's about as good as you can find in this country.
Taxes are extremely low…I know a lot of people, myself included, who wouldn't mind higher taxes to fund more QOL improvements.
1.4 million population is a decent sized city and the business environment is excellent
warm weather for sure…only south florida, southern cal, and south texas are better.
Jax is a very young city for FL, but not necessarily lots of single people. The community is a bit more conservative and a disproportionate number of young people are already married. That said, unlike many parts of FL it's not a retirement haven at all.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:28 PM

344 posts, read 1,052,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Jacksonville hits on all your wants. For real estate investment it's about as good as you can find in this country.
Taxes are extremely low…I know a lot of people, myself included, who wouldn't mind higher taxes to fund more QOL improvements.
1.4 million population is a decent sized city and the business environment is excellent
warm weather for sure…only south florida, southern cal, and south texas are better.
Jax is a very young city for FL, but not necessarily lots of single people. The community is a bit more conservative and a disproportionate number of young people are already married. That said, unlike many parts of FL it's not a retirement haven at all.
I've seriously considered Jax in the past..

1 question though.. and I've only been to Southern FL (Ft Lauderdale, Miami, St Pete) so this could be a dumb question.. but is Jax a high risk area for flooding?

I guess with sea level rising I'd hate to buy a place that's like 2 feet above sea level and on the edge of being flooded. And I know Jax has a big river as well so there's quite a bit of water near most houses.

That'd be my only concern from a real estate standpoint

Old 10-02-2014, 05:35 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Not a bad question. I actually do a lot of REI, and my family does a lot in Miami. We obviously don't think it's an issue in the short term down there, especially inland from Miami Beach.

So with that in mind, I definitely do not believe it to be an issue in Jax. There are indeed low-lying areas that are very popular in the city's core, so you are right that it's not just the oceanfront that is susceptible, but it's not something that's even on our radar. And I am concerned about rising sea levels in general, so it's not like I'm denying climate change or anything. In any case, you can always choose to buy in the non-flood zones of Jax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.