Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2014, 05:16 AM

338 posts, read 556,214 times

Advertisements

Which state has the worst winter weather in your opinion? When I say terrible winter weather I mean cold that makes your bones freeze, when the snow is more than a foot, and when it's March and you still have that god awful snow on the ground.

Here are the states I am considering:

NY (please differentiate between upstate and downstate as I know it can vary)
CT (southern part of the state such as Bridgeport, New Haven, and Mystic)
NH (only southern part outside of Boston)
MA (only Boston area)
RI (interested in looking all over this tiny state)
PA (ONLY interested in Philly)

I am originally from Western Mass and have no desire to move back to the specific city which I grew up in. However, I do miss the northeast.

All input is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2014, 05:33 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,766,066 times
Upstate New York and New Hampshire are the snowiest.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:17 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Larger cities tend to have less snow thanks to the "heat island" effect so would say the more urban areas such as the immediate Boston metro, the close in NYC metro (NY/NJ/CT) and close in Philadelphia metro area (PA/NJ/DE) would offer slightly warmer conditions and less snow/snowpack.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:55 PM

10,742 posts, read 23,798,187 times
In the bigger picture these areas probably have fairly marginal differences in climate. But perhaps Philly might get less impact than the coastal storms that NYC and especially Boston are prone to. Boston and its surroundings get hammered being in the line of fire from those nasty Nor'easter blizzards.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 10-04-2014 at 05:04 PM..

Old 10-04-2014, 05:00 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Out of the Upstate NY areas, Albany gets less snow on average(about 64 inches). They may get a little bit from Nor'easters, but they don't get lake effect.

Why not consider other areas in PA, which will be a bit warmer and get less snow on average than other parts of the Northeast?

Old 10-05-2014, 05:17 AM

Thanks for the responses. It seems like Philly is where I should consider. To the poster who asked why I don't consider the rest of PA: I've been to Pittsburgh and Scranton quite a few times actually. Scranton wasn't really impressive at all in my opinion. Pittsburgh had some decent areas but what I like about Philly is that it is a very large city and close to the other big cities. You can easy get on the Megabus for pretty cheap and get to NYC, Boston, and other cities south of Philly as well. It's not really on the coast as much as NYC is so I'm hoping it will shield me from the Nor'easterns some people talk about. I haven't had to deal with a huge snowstorm in quite some time due to the fact that I moved a few years ago.

If anyone has more input, I would value it.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:02 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishwhat View Post
Thanks for the responses. It seems like Philly is where I should consider. To the poster who asked why I don't consider the rest of PA: I've been to Pittsburgh and Scranton quite a few times actually. Scranton wasn't really impressive at all in my opinion. Pittsburgh had some decent areas but what I like about Philly is that it is a very large city and close to the other big cities. You can easy get on the Megabus for pretty cheap and get to NYC, Boston, and other cities south of Philly as well. It's not really on the coast as much as NYC is so I'm hoping it will shield me from the Nor'easterns some people talk about. I haven't had to deal with a huge snowstorm in quite some time due to the fact that I moved a few years ago.

If anyone has more input, I would value it.
You might also look at the Baltimore area. It's close to DC with MarcTrain service into DC and similarly connected to the Northeast, with the Amtrak Northeast Corridor trains as well as both BoltBus and MegaBus service to NYC. The job market and economy is a good bit stronger than Philadelphia and has the benefit of being less expensive as well. Winter also just seems a bit less severe than what you'll find 100 miles north.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:17 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
It seems to me like you're fighting a losing battle. You hate cold, snowy winters, yet only have the Northeast on your list.

Are you sure you don't want to move somewhere with better weather altogether?

Old 10-05-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You might also look at the Baltimore area. It's close to DC with MarcTrain service into DC and similarly connected to the Northeast, with the Amtrak Northeast Corridor trains as well as both BoltBus and MegaBus service to NYC. The job market and economy is a good bit stronger than Philadelphia and has the benefit of being less expensive as well. Winter also just seems a bit less severe than what you'll find 100 miles north.
Good suggestion. I haven't been to Baltimore in a long time but it's definitely something to consider. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
It seems to me like you're fighting a losing battle. You hate cold, snowy winters, yet only have the Northeast on your list.

Are you sure you don't want to move somewhere with better weather altogether?
I understand what you're saying. I have lived in many areas of the country and the northeast has always had a "pull" to it that no other region has. I am basically trying to find the city with northeastern culture that is further south so to avoid brutal winters. It's not that I can't live with snow here and there, I just would prefer not to have to deal with it.

I have lived in south Florida, both the southeastern and southwestern cities. The humidity wasn't as bad as a lot of people make it out to be but that's most likely because I was indoors working in cool AC or in the ocean most of the time.

Atlanta had worse humidity/heat in my opinion. Some days during the summer I didn't even want to walk around outside because it was just wicked hot. Never had so many skin irritations due to sun.

The southwest did interest me for a little bit until I stayed in a couple cities for around a month for a mix of work and pleasure. The problem with a lot of these cities is the way of life is just a bit too slow and the people are kind of odd to me. But that's probably due to the fact that I've lived on the east coast for the majority of my life.

I do love many cities in California but it's a bit too liberal and expensive for my liking. The state does have a lot to offer, I just feel like it's not run efficiently or properly.

I like how people in the northeast value education more so than other regions. The friendliest people I've ever met were also from small New England towns. I don't even really think New Yorkers are as rude as everyone makes them out to be. But that could just be because I'm a M******* myself.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:20 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
LOL, some of my very favorite people have been New Yorkers. I much prefer a direct approach, than all the subtleties people in the south employ, for instance, which I could never figure out when I lived there for 5 years (TN). Like living in a riddle down there, if you're not from that culture. If a New Yorker is saying "no," you will know it. And you won't waste any more time trying to figure out if they are really wanting you to come back, or do business with you, or be your friend, or whatever. Couldn't wait to get out of the south.

Hmmmm, I have never lived in the northeast, so I don't know if I can be helpful as far as finding something similar out west.

I share your disdain for bad winter weather, as my name says. I don't like a wet and icy cold, either, which is what you'll find in Seattle or Bellingham, where I've lived. That wet cold really gets into your bones.

I'll be following your thread. I'm curious now, too, where you can find what you're looking for.

Is there any possibility of your being able to be a snow bird? Best of both worlds that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.