Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 04:12 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
I agree. I lived in Coyoacan and loved it. Mexico City is amazingly livable for how big it is. The people are wonderful.
Yeah, I stayed in Coyoacan for a while and it felt like a very comfortable sort of bohemian neighborhood that could be somewhere in another North American city or Europe--albeit very Mexican culturally. Great food, though that's true everywhere in Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 04:17 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,696,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah, I stayed in Coyoacan for a while and it felt like a very comfortable sort of bohemian neighborhood that could be somewhere in another North American city or Europe--albeit very Mexican culturally. Great food, though that's true everywhere in Mexico.
Yeah, it's 500 years old, so I can see the comparison to Europe. Colonial Mexico is beautiful. The food is among the best in the world. Lots of art and music, cinema clubs, etc.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:40 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,988,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
In terms of what?

Trash? Congestion? Angry drivers? Nasty subway stations? Abundance of brown and tan-colored buildings?

If so, then the answer to your question is no.
Ooh, someone's bitter.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:08 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,598,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
NYC is truly the center of the world, just like hong kong.... in both cities you feel like this energy that tells you, you ARE in the core of the planet!!!
I felt the same way when I was in NYC. Nothing but a huge marketing gimmick to make you feel like if you aren't in the city, you aren't living. It was a very depressing experience.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:18 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Do any of these people commenting on Mexico City realize the ciudad is not in North America?

Central America.

Anyway, the answer is no. No North American city compares to New York City. Chicago comes close, but still no cigar.
Check your geography books. Mexico City is in North America. Frankly, all of Mexico is in North America. Central America isn't even its own continent. It's a subcontinental area within North America. But let's say that we subscribe to the notion that Central America isn't part of North America. Even in that case, Mexico City is STILL in North America as the northern boundary of Central America (Isthmus of Tehuantepec) is significantly south of Mexico City.

That said, Mexico City does not have the same "wow" impact of NYC. That's not an insult to Mexico City. I love Mexico City! They are just very different. Mexico City is like part colonial Spanish city, part everlasting dense suburban sprawl, part U.S. type urban development. Frankly, there are parts of Mexico City that remind me of Coral Gables, Florida.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:10 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Ooh, someone's bitter.
Eh. Honestly it was the over enthusiastic OP that made me feel like playing devil's advocate in this thread.

NYC is a nice city, as long as I don't stay for more than 5 days.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:31 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,117,182 times
No.

Los Angeles is in my backyard yet I admit it is not in the same league as NYC, although it'll be the closest.

Only London is, really. But nowhere else in North America.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:40 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
mexico city doesnt really have a latino culture, is entirely mexican.... what i mean is latino culture would encompass cuban, puerto rican, brazilian, argentinian etc etc but in mexico u dont find those kind of cultures.... mexican culture its what ud find there.

miami has more latino culture than mexico considering that miami has plenty of south americans, caribbeans, central americans.... while mexico has very few of those nationalities.
Actually, Mexico and Mexico City have ALOT of Latin Americans residing there.

Many Argentines, Venezuelans, Cubans, and Colombians live there. Even Gabriel Garcia Marquez made it his home.

There is a freakin' 'Rinconcito argentino' every couple of blocks. lol Many Argentines moved to Mexico after the economic crisis. Now alot of Venezuelans are going there. For example, my vet in Mexico is from Venezuela and my mechanic was from Argentina.

I find Mexico City to be very cosmopolitan- not at the level of say London or New York, but still cosmopolitan. I visit that city often and have met all types of people living there- Europeans, Asians, Latina Americans. The B&B I stay at often is owned by a young French couple.

Last edited by rosa surf; 10-12-2014 at 08:54 PM..

Old 10-12-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
If you're looking for nightlife, Madrid is pretty hard to beat. Mecano even wrote a song about NYC's nightlife being underwhelming compared to Madrid's: [youtube]SVA17DTNMPA[/youtube]
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVA17DTNMPA[/url]

Obviously, Madrid is not the center of the world; but it parties like it's the last night of the universe.
NOTHING beats Madrid/Spanish nightlife, I don't care what anybody says!

I had the time of my life when I lived there.

BTW I LOVE MECANO!!!!

Old 10-12-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
No, North America comprise Canada, the U.S., and Mexico and for someone who lived in NYC for a decade and spends quite bit of time in DF, DF can hold its own against NYC: more museums than any other city in the world, much greater architectural variety than NYC, gorgeous climate and surrounding countryside, less diverse and less 24/7,not as tall and dense, but in many ways feels as big if not bigger. Kinda like a NYC /LA combo ito the built environment. Right now the most under-rated megalopolis in the world. It is not 1978 anymore. DF is a spectacular city.
I agree 100%, Mexico DF is spectacular and one of my fave places. The museum, art, music and cultural life there is great and booming. Food is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.