Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 12:02 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times

Advertisements

I would say you rarely hear about Jacksonville, Stockton, or to a lesser extent Indianapolis all that much. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 12:13 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,052 times
Hampton Roads, VA (pop. 1,707,369)
Providence, RI (pop. 1,604,291)
Grand Rapids, MI (pop. 1,016,603)
Birmingham, AL (pop. 1,140,300)
Rochester, NY (pop.1,083,278)
Greenville, SC (pop. 850,965)
McAllen, TX (pop. 815,996)
Bethlehem, PA (pop. 827,048)

All population figures are for the MSA, not the city proper

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 10-10-2014 at 12:22 PM..

Old 10-10-2014, 12:21 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I would say you rarely hear about Jacksonville, Stockton, or to a lesser extent Indianapolis all that much. What do you think?
Definitely not Indy - Indy 500, Indianapolis Colts (NFL), Indiana Pacers (NBA), lots of major sporting events.

Jacksonville, though they have the Jaguars (NFL), is a good call, but I'd go with Stockton out of these 3.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:29 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,518,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Definitely not Indy - Indy 500, Indianapolis Colts (NFL), Indiana Pacers (NBA), lots of major sporting events.

Jacksonville, though they have the Jaguars (NFL), is a good call, but I'd go with Stockton out of these 3.
Stockton is hardly a major city. That's like arguing for Syracuse or Madison.

I'd go with Fresno before Stockton.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:34 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,595,685 times
Definitely Indianapolis and perhaps Jacksonville. Not too sure Stockton qualifies as a "major" city.

Others that get my vote are El Paso, which has a city population of nearly 700K, and Oklahoma City. Also, not sure if Omaha could quite qualify as "major", but I rarely ever hear it mentioned.

Fort Worth definitely gets overlooked, due to it's larger Eastern neighbor-city that it shares a metro with, but Fort Worth is definitely a major city in it's own right.

Buffalo should get an honorable mention as well.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:50 PM

54 posts, read 79,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post

Buffalo should get an honorable mention as well.
I disagree. Buffalo, with a population of only a quarter million in the city itslef and barely a million in the metro, is around the same size as Albany and Rochester, but gets considerably more attention than the other two (likely due the Bills, proximity to Niagara Falls, grandiose art deco skyline, and Buffalo wings).

Outside of New York, Buffalo is similar in size to Tucson, Albuquerque, Louisville, Birmingham, and Grand Rapids, and gets more attention than those cities.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:51 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Stockton is hardly a major city. That's like arguing for Syracuse or Madison.

I'd go with Fresno before Stockton.
Great, but I was comparing the 3 cities listed in the OP.

Old 10-10-2014, 01:40 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,595,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiBlackhawks View Post
I disagree. Buffalo, with a population of only a quarter million in the city itslef and barely a million in the metro, is around the same size as Albany and Rochester, but gets considerably more attention than the other two (likely due the Bills, proximity to Niagara Falls, grandiose art deco skyline, and Buffalo wings).

Outside of New York, Buffalo is similar in size to Tucson, Albuquerque, Louisville, Birmingham, and Grand Rapids, and gets more attention than those cities.
That's why I said "honorable mention". Meaning "maybe". I guess Buffalo just seems larger than it actually is. Having an NFL team and being the "second city" in it's state tends to cast it in that light.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:33 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,839,144 times
Raleigh NC comes to mind

Old 10-10-2014, 04:43 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
It's kind of strange, but I don't think I ever met anyone from Buffalo--nor have I met anyone going there for any reason. And it seems kind of cool and interesting with the old architecture, but it's just not brought up outside of sports that often in my experience.

Living in the Western US my whole life, I've met plenty of people from Cleveland or Pittsburgh or other parts of Upstate New York or Detroit or other cities in Ohio or other places in the Northeast or Midwest... But I can't remember ever meeting anyone from Buffalo--or likewise ever meeting anyone from Indianapolis--or ever hearing much about those cities--except on CityData.

Maybe I should go to Buffalo next time I visit my inlaws in Upstate New York(still a fair drive away, but could be interesting).

Stockton on the other hand--don't bother. Had family near there and grew up driving through it to go somewhere else---and that town is sort of a lost cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.