Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 09:42 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,493,664 times

Advertisements

Well, whether we like it or not, gay marriage has been legalized in my home state of North Carolina with a similar story up in Virginia. That leaves the majority of the rest of the south. When do you think it'll be legal in South Carolina? Or, the whole south in general? I have to confess that I'm no expert on how long it'll take, opinions?

Old 10-11-2014, 09:57 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Actually DC and Maryland were first in the South.

After that, it was Virginia, West Virginia, and North Carolina--in that order. Rulings are pending in Kentucky and South Carolina and they will probably be next in line.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post

After that, it was Virginia, West Virginia, and North Carolina--in that order. Rulings are pending in Kentucky and South Carolina and they will probably be next in line.
Alright, alright, I'll include DC, Maryland, and West Virginia as the south haha. Sorry, being from North Carolina, we don't see those areas as the south. It's definitely going to be interesting to see gay marriage legalized in South Carolina, and I'm sure plenty of folks thought the same for NC these days!

Old 10-11-2014, 10:54 PM

2,572 posts, read 4,252,019 times
Quote:

And my home state of Oklahoma came in the same day as Virginia, making it another southern and bible belt state to recognize marriage equality!

Old 10-12-2014, 05:44 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Alright, alright, I'll include DC, Maryland, and West Virginia as the south haha. Sorry, being from North Carolina, we don't see those areas as the south. It's definitely going to be interesting to see gay marriage legalized in South Carolina, and I'm sure plenty of folks thought the same for NC these days!
I'll give you DC and Maryland, but a nice chunk of WV is Appalachian Southern, just like western NC is. And why will it be "interesting" to see gay marriage legalized in SC? It's not going to be any different there than it is in any other state; heck, they had already started accepted marriage applications from same-sex couples before NC did but the state supreme court put the brakes on the process for right now. A ruling by the U.S. District Court will most likely make gay marriage official there within a month or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie1962 View Post
And my home state of Oklahoma came in the same day as Virginia, making it another southern and bible belt state to recognize marriage equality!
Ahhh, didn't know it had happened in OK too--which is more conservative than several Deep South states.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I'll give you DC and Maryland, but a nice chunk of WV is Appalachian Southern, just like western NC is. And why will it be "interesting" to see gay marriage legalized in SC? It's not going to be any different there than it is in any other state; heck, they had already started accepted marriage applications from same-sex couples before NC did but the state supreme court put the brakes on the process for right now. A ruling by the U.S. District Court will most likely make gay marriage official there within a month or so.

Ahhh, didn't know it had happened in OK too--which is more conservative than several Deep South states.
Yeah, I guess West Virginia is Appalachian over anything which does make it similar to Kentucky, eastern Tennessee, western North Carolina, etc. It's the areas closer to Pittsburgh, like Wheeling or Morgantown, that don't really strike me as "southern." Probably because they're so close to Pittsburgh and western Pennsylvania. So yeah, a town like Beckley would strike me more as southern, not so much Wheeling.

Well, I'm not looking down on South Carolina, but it'll be interesting and a vast improvement to see gay marriage legalized in a state with that kind of history. Same story with Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, etc. I don't expect to see riots in the streets of Columbia, not what I meant by "interesting." It's just the fact that South Carolina has traditionally been very conservative, which is typical for the most part in the Deep South. Do you think some of the older SC'ers who lived through Strom Thurmond would ever imagine gay marriage legalized? Don't get me wrong, same story with North Carolina and Jesse Helms. It's interesting how times are changing.

Oklahoma might be the most conservative state in America, and I didn't know it happened in Oklahoma, as well.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:37 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
Congratulations for North Carolina and Virginia!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Alright, alright, I'll include DC, Maryland, and West Virginia as the south haha. Sorry, being from North Carolina, we don't see those areas as the south.
Because they aren't. Only a select few see it that way. Cheers and congrats!

Old 10-12-2014, 08:48 AM

320 posts, read 578,503 times
Arkansas

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iDGKvTM_7CQ

Old 10-12-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SawBoi View Post
Historically, Arkansas has been seen as a moderate southern state, in the same league as North Carolina, Virginia, and possibly Tennessee. It would make sense for Arkansas to legalize gay marriage before a state like Mississippi, to be realistic.

Old 10-12-2014, 10:50 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Congratulations for North Carolina and Virginia!

Because they aren't. Only a select few see it that way. Cheers and congrats!
A few?

Southern Legislative Conference | Serving the South

Association of American Geographers

SGA - Southern Governors' Association > Governors

Geological Society of America - Southeastern Section

And it isn't a matter of the states legalizing gay marriage it is a matter of choosing to fight or not the ruling of the court, which has been upheld by the Supreme Court. It would be a waste of state resources to fight such a losing battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.