U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 03:13 AM

1,689 posts, read 2,243,703 times

Advertisements

I know places like Phoenix Arizona, San Antonio Texas, Jacksonville Florida, Dallas and so on are among America's top largest cities because they're affordable and offer job opportunities. (the sun belt where retirees want to live and so on)

But let's honest

Cities like Phoenix or Jacksonville outside of the US are unknown, no one wants to buy a plane ticket to the US to go to Dallas, or visit Raleigh NC, or Spend a week discovering the culture of Phoenix or Denver (most people think those places are typical middle America, land of shopping malls, suburbias and walmarts!)

I am talking about cities that truly are worth visiting!!! Cities that are big, and offer tons of cultural activities, an eclectic lifestyle, cities with personality, a local cuisine, a local culture!!!!

Does this list make sense?

Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles
San Diego
Las Vegas
Houston
New Orleans
Chicago
Detroit (used to be one of the top)
Miami
DC
Philadelphia
New York city
Boston

Any other city to add?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 04:34 AM

10,440 posts, read 12,522,731 times
I rather visit/live in Denver than Detroit, Houston and New Orleans.

Old 10-13-2014, 06:14 AM

21,312 posts, read 30,657,356 times
I sense a west coast bias, especially with arguably the most iconic listed at the bottom. I can also pretty much guarantee neither San Diego or Houston could ever be confused with "iconic".

Old 10-13-2014, 07:03 AM

10,440 posts, read 12,522,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I sense a west coast bias, especially with arguably the most iconic listed at the bottom.
He didn't rank them, He just listed them from West to East Which makes sense since in most of the world we write from left to right!

Old 10-13-2014, 07:05 AM

545 posts, read 824,389 times
New York
LA
DC
Chicago
San Fran

those are it. Boston, Miami and Philly are just below are just below

Old 10-13-2014, 08:15 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,894,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I know places like Phoenix Arizona, San Antonio Texas, Jacksonville Florida, Dallas and so on are among America's top largest cities because they're affordable and offer job opportunities. (the sun belt where retirees want to live and so on)

But let's honest

Cities like Phoenix or Jacksonville outside of the US are unknown, no one wants to buy a plane ticket to the US to go to Dallas, or visit Raleigh NC, or Spend a week discovering the culture of Phoenix or Denver (most people think those places are typical middle America, land of shopping malls, suburbias and walmarts!)

I am talking about cities that truly are worth visiting!!! Cities that are big, and offer tons of cultural activities, an eclectic lifestyle, cities with personality, a local cuisine, a local culture!!!!

Does this list make sense?

Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles
San Diego
Las Vegas
Houston
New Orleans
Chicago
Detroit (used to be one of the top)
Miami
DC
Philadelphia
New York city
Boston

Any other city to add?
Atlanta, Savannah, Charleston...

Old 10-13-2014, 08:36 AM

1,434 posts, read 1,838,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I sense a west coast bias, especially with arguably the most iconic listed at the bottom. I can also pretty much guarantee neither San Diego or Houston could ever be confused with "iconic".
The OP is actually a huge NYC booster.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:09 AM

1,833 posts, read 1,827,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Atlanta, Savannah, Charleston...
Were talking about iconic cities. Neither of the cities you listed match that. Maybe atlanta but if you travel over seas and mention savannah and charleston they won't know what the heck you're talking about.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:44 AM

14,157 posts, read 19,903,759 times
New York
LA
San Francisco
Chicago
Miami
New Orleans
Las Vegas

Runner up:
Philly
Boston
DC

Old 10-13-2014, 09:53 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,332,213 times
NYC and LA are THE iconic cities

SF, DC, Miami, Vegas are probably the next most iconic

Chicago is also somewhat iconic

Boston, New Orleans, Philly, are a bit iconic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.