Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 09:09 PM

9 posts, read 13,231 times

Advertisements

I've lived on the east coast, down south and Midwest (ohio) but I have never truly ventured out west. As I try to figure out my next move...most people suggest western states. Why do they have a so called better quality of life? I'm convinced colorado is lovely. Scenic. Lots to do outdoors. Laid back. But not sure if it's worth the snow. You couldn't pay me to move to cali nor could I pay to live there! Asides california, what is it about the west??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 09:18 PM

562 posts, read 988,962 times
An oversimplification of regions that paints the Northeast as too crowded and chaotic, the midwest as polluted and dingy and the South with oppressive weather the opposite of the midwest that makes people thing the west is objectively better.

Full disclosure, I'm a huge fan of the West and want to move that direction someday but most people's picture of the rest of the US (relative to where they are currently) is very distorted and stereotypes arise quite easily in a such a big country.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:18 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
An oversimplification of regions that paints the Northeast as too crowded and chaotic, the midwest as polluted and dingy and the South with oppressive weather the opposite of the midwest that makes people thing the west is objectively better.

Full disclosure, I'm a huge fan of the West and want to move that direction someday but most people's picture of the rest of the US (relative to where they are currently) is very distorted and stereotypes arise quite easily in a such a big country.
Yup, pretty much this. Stereotypes aren't fun.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:58 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,662,124 times
For me personally, the nature, the weather and the people make the quality of life in the West better than anywhere else in the US.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Your completely brushing off living in the entire state of California, based on an idea that the entire state is expensive is...typical of someone who has never been here.

It would be like me saying the entire state of New York is like New York City: crowded, under concrete - and as expensive.

The main draw to the west, is the weather, IMO.

Old 10-13-2014, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Your completely brushing off living in the entire state of California, based on an idea that the entire state is expensive is...typical of someone who has never been here.

It would be like me saying the entire state of New York is like New York City: crowded, under concrete - and as expensive.

The main draw to the west, is the weather, IMO.
I completely agree. Once one gets away from the SF, LA and SD metros housing is actually quite resonable. http://www.trulia.com/home_prices/California/

Last edited by Iaskwhy; 10-14-2014 at 12:24 AM..

Old 10-14-2014, 12:39 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,793,641 times
It's California, not "Cali".

People say the West has "a better quality of life" because of the nature aspect of it. That and the different way of life and attitudes out here in the West.

As stated already, the entire state of California is not expensive to live in.

Old 10-14-2014, 04:08 AM

9 posts, read 13,231 times
Thanks y'all. Do you think anyone could go describe what the "attitude" of people out west really describes?

Old 10-14-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coraline_13 View Post
Thanks y'all. Do you think anyone could go describe what the "attitude" of people out west really describes?
*Disclaimer: This is my opinion. Not everyone on the West Coast is like this and not everyone who doesn't live on the West Coast isn't like this. This is just generally what I find to be the case.

With that said, I am only talking about people that live on the West Coast as opposed to the Western States (some of my statements hold true for this as well though), specifically coastal areas of Washington, Oregon and California.

1) Health- People here tend to be very health conscious.
2) Food- People here tend to be very into fresh, high quality food, farmers markets are all over the place.
3) Nature/outdoor activities- People here are very into outdoor activities and nature and they appreciate the natural beauty that surrounds them.
4) Religion- People tend to not be religious.
5) Politics- People tend to be quite liberal here, especially about social issues.
6) PC- People tend to be very politically correct. (which I personally can't stand)
7) Environment- People tend to be environmentally conscious.
8) Intelligent- People tend to be intelligent and well educated and they tend to value both.
9) Creative- People tend to be creative and value creativity highly.
10) Pace- People tend to take the time to smell the roses here and tend to be less rushed.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:27 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
For me personally, the nature, the weather and the people make the quality of life in the West better than anywhere else in the US.
I think the people are the worst thing about the West. Westerners are generally passive aggressive and dull in my experience, and lack ambition. It can be very lonely living in a western state. There's very little in the way of "culture" here either since the region hasn't been settled by long so it feels barren in that regard too.

I think since the West is a bit harder to pigeonhole as well as more newly settled it doesn't have as many nasty stereotypes. People view it as being more of a "normal" place. The weather is also hotter and drier than places in other regions at just about any given latitude and altitude and most people (not me) prefer warm and dry weather over wet and cold weather.

I find the West overrated because the urban environments are ugly and look dated but have little in the any of anything historic (mostly crappy 1950s-1990s architecture), the people are tolerant but only in the sense they are indifferent to you and your doings which can be nice in some ways I admit, the economy is very bad outside of the Bay Area and Puget Sound. The weather definitely isn't as perfect as people say either, contrary to popular belief most of the West does experience 4 pronounced seasons and extreme cold and heat.

Last edited by Mini-apple-less; 10-14-2014 at 05:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.