Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 07:17 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,886,180 times

Advertisements

Now put your thinking caps on. If someone were planning a city from the ground up and they needed to choose a spot, what factors would be important. Let's brainstorm those factors, then from that list figure out which city is "theoretically" in the best position. Let's stick to basics.

For example, the ideal city:
* has an inexhaustible water supply (for example Great Lakes or Mississippi River)
* has land that is not prone to flooding
* has abundance of flat land (easier to build cities on flat land)
* has access to maritime shipping, either via river or sea
* is not prone to earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, blizzards, or other natural disasters
* is in close proximity to productive farmlands so it is easy to get high quality fresh produce

NYC doesn't meet it because many parts of Manhattan are flood prone, it's also hurricane and blizzard prone.

Philly kind of meets the requirements except for being hurricane and blizzard prone. San Francisco meets all the requirements except for being earthquake prone. Chicago meets most of the requirements except for being blizzard and tornado prone. St. Louis has plenty of land, water, and shipping access but is tornado prone.

Thoughts?

Last edited by JMT; 10-14-2014 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: This forum is for North American cities only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 07:21 AM

545 posts, read 1,100,564 times
First of all, Philly will suffer from sea level rise flooding as much as manhattan. the delaware river will flood south philly and parts of center city, which sit barely above sea level.

i would say the Lehigh Valley in Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton). It's an hour north of Philly, and less than 2 hours west of NYC. it was ranked one of the safest US cities against natural disasters. it is too far inland to be affected by sea level rise. yet it's close enough to the Jersey Shore/Philly for shipping. and is surrounded by farms. the economy there isn't great but it's growing quick now that a lot of NYers and New Jerseyans are moving there

Old 10-14-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
First of all, Philly will suffer from sea level rise flooding as much as manhattan. the delaware river will flood south philly and parts of center city, which sit barely above sea level.

i would say the Lehigh Valley in Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton). It's an hour north of Philly, and less than 2 hours west of NYC. it was ranked one of the safest US cities against natural disasters. it is too far inland to be affected by sea level rise. yet it's close enough to the Jersey Shore/Philly for shipping. and is surrounded by farms. the economy there isn't great but it's growing quick now that a lot of NYers and New Jerseyans are moving there
Is the Delaware River navigable up to Easton? What about being prone to blizzards/Nor'easters? Can it be affected by hurricanes or is it too far inland? Is the terrain hilly or flat? I would think that area would not fit the "has abundance of flat land" category. Even San Francisco has that, in the Santa Clara valley to the south.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:49 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,060,659 times
Haha Detroit hits everyone of those points.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Haha Detroit hits everyone of those points.
Interesting, I agree. For some reason Detroit doesn't get many blizzards either, being on the Northwest side of the lakes instead of the south side of the Great Lakes. For instance, Cleveland gets far more snowy weather than Detroit.

Last edited by cBach; 10-14-2014 at 08:56 AM..

Old 10-14-2014, 08:15 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
I almost hate to do this, but I think Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee and Buffalo meet most of these criteria quite easily for "major" cities, even though they're widely regarded as some of the most unappealing places to Mr./Mrs. Joe/Joanna American.

Chicago, Twin Cities, Milwaukee, Columbus, Indy, Pittsburgh, Cincy, Nashville, Memphis, and maybe Atlanta or Charlotte are all 1-2 points away from being 100% ideal, according to the list of amenities. Although I have to say that "blizzards" aren't a true issue for almost any American city, with perhaps the exception being Denver or (shockingly) Northeast cities like Philly, Boston and NYC -- all of whom get 2+ feet of snow seemingly annually and in many cases it shuts down the city. The others have flooding or tornado threats or aren't very flat, and Memphis and St. Louis also have legitimate Earthquake threats.

Sacramento, Dallas and Denver all crossed my mind but none of them have a plentiful water supply and all are a major threat for drought. Sacto is on a major flood plain and Dallas and Denver can and do get major tornadic activity as well. Seattle and Portland also come to mind but I know that Earthquakes and mudslides are a major concern there, and the land is far from flat and farmable. Philly seemed somewhat flat when I was in the area but maybe I'm wrong on that. I'm not sure if it's much of a flooding threat either, but then there's those "Nor'easters"....

Old 10-14-2014, 08:21 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post

Philly kind of meets the requirements except for being hurricane and blizzard prone. San Francisco meets all the requirements except for being earthquake prone. Chicago meets most of the requirements except for being blizzard and tornado prone. St. Louis has plenty of land, water, and shipping access but is tornado prone.

Thoughts?
SF is nowhere near a source of endless water supply. Water is an issue in SF.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:48 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,596,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Philly seemed somewhat flat when I was in the area but maybe I'm wrong on that. I'm not sure if it's much of a flooding threat either, but then there's those "Nor'easters"....
As gattaq noted, unfortunately Philly is far from immune to flooding. Despite not being directly located on the coast, it is certainly in a tidal zone that is heavily affected by sea level.

Report: Climate Change Will Worsen Tidal Flooding All Along East Coast « CBS Philly

Also, just to clarify, the city of Philadelphia is largely flat -- in addition to the Southern New Jersey suburbs -- but the Pennsylvania suburbs are generally very hilly, as they fall into the "Northern Piedmont" region.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I almost hate to do this, but I think Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee and Buffalo meet most of these criteria quite easily for "major" cities, even though they're widely regarded as some of the most unappealing places to Mr./Mrs. Joe/Joanna American.

Chicago, Twin Cities, Milwaukee, Columbus, Indy, Pittsburgh, Cincy, Nashville, Memphis, and maybe Atlanta or Charlotte are all 1-2 points away from being 100% ideal, according to the list of amenities. Although I have to say that "blizzards" aren't a true issue for almost any American city, with perhaps the exception being Denver or (shockingly) Northeast cities like Philly, Boston and NYC -- all of whom get 2+ feet of snow seemingly annually and in many cases it shuts down the city. The others have flooding or tornado threats or aren't very flat, and Memphis and St. Louis also have legitimate Earthquake threats.

Sacramento, Dallas and Denver all crossed my mind but none of them have a plentiful water supply and all are a major threat for drought. Sacto is on a major flood plain and Dallas and Denver can and do get major tornadic activity as well. Seattle and Portland also come to mind but I know that Earthquakes and mudslides are a major concern there, and the land is far from flat and farmable. Philly seemed somewhat flat when I was in the area but maybe I'm wrong on that. I'm not sure if it's much of a flooding threat either, but then there's those "Nor'easters"....
Is the Mississippi River navigable up to Minneapolis? i.e. can they accommodate oceangoing vessels that far up north? I don't think so because there are several dams north of St. Louis, so I think we have to exclude any port city north of St. Louis.

Memphis is a good city for this as well, it sits on a cliff so no flooding concerns and plenty of flat land to the south and east. The earthquake threat is minimal and lower tornado threat than St. Louis.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
SF is nowhere near a source of endless water supply. Water is an issue in SF.
The Sacramento River is a viable water supply for SF. They don't currently use it and instead use the pristine Hetch Hetchy reservoir, but the Sacramento River has high enough flows to accommodate a large population, much larger than SF has at present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.