U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 08:15 PM

545 posts, read 818,841 times

Advertisements

are regional accents negative in the work world? I speak with a pretty strong jersey accent. will this hurt my job opportunities when i go on interviews out of state? i read this one study ranked jersey accents as the most disliked among employers nationwide.. truth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 08:25 PM

1,383 posts, read 1,201,879 times
If you're a qualified, professional person who can communicate effectively, I don't know why your accent would give you any trouble.

Old 10-15-2014, 12:07 AM

5,116 posts, read 4,137,741 times
It does make a difference in the minds of some people. There are many worse accents to have trust me. The best advice I can give my northern friends is to slowww dowwwn your speech. Speak clearly, intently, and be yourself. Your character and qualifications far outweigh any apprehension about your speaking habits to potential employers.

Old 10-15-2014, 01:36 AM

18,138 posts, read 23,065,856 times
Good question. I think it would depend on the environment you would be working in. For instance, if you were interviewing for a techie job at Google, I'd think your accent would be welcomed and enjoyed.

There are times, when the perception of a gangster comes to mind when I hear the Jersey accent, to be perfectly honest. For instance, there is a commercial on the radio station here that is by a married couple with very strong Jersey accents. Some commercials are of the wife speaking, some of the husband. They are promoting a program that they developed to change bratty behavior in your kid. They say they are behavioral therapists, or something like that. And the accent bothers me. They just don't "sound" like I think a psychologist or behavior therapist should sound like.

I know that's not very PC, but I wanted to be honest with you.

OTOH, if I met you out with friends having a beer, I'd love your accent. Have had friends from Jersey and New York and I love the straightforward, outgoing culture. And the accent.

But, there are times, for sure, that there can be a stereotype drawn about The Sopranos, etc.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:25 AM

8,016 posts, read 9,504,506 times
I'm sorry you feel that it would. You might stand out for about 9 months until it subsides in your new area, if you choose to move. It will never be the extreme opposite like a country accent, so don't count on that.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:40 AM

87,045 posts, read 102,757,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
If you're a qualified, professional person who can communicate effectively, I don't know why your accent would give you any trouble.
I knew someone would say this, just didn't think it would happen in the second post. In a perfect world, yes. Not to pick on you, but let me tell you something. It depends on the person doing the hiring. Both my husband and I have been on some hiring committees and we would do the above. But I know a few hiring people, members of my own family, who would and do let their personal feelings get in the way. It also depends on where the OP is interviewing. I don't mean what business, though that might make a difference too, but part of the country. In places where there are a lot of transplants, it won't make any difference. In places where people generally never move, it may.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:24 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,046,842 times
If English is your first language, you'll be fine but generally like any professional specific slang should be avoided. There are training programs that help you develop a more neutral English accent, but of course that depends on how strong your accent is.

This is usually only a big deal when you're working with companies that do a lot of international business or public relations where you have to talk to a wide range of people from different locations or something along those lines.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:24 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,325,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Good question. I think it would depend on the environment you would be working in. For instance, if you were interviewing for a techie job at Google, I'd think your accent would be welcomed and enjoyed.

There are times, when the perception of a gangster comes to mind when I hear the Jersey accent, to be perfectly honest. For instance, there is a commercial on the radio station here that is by a married couple with very strong Jersey accents. Some commercials are of the wife speaking, some of the husband. They are promoting a program that they developed to change bratty behavior in your kid. They say they are behavioral therapists, or something like that. And the accent bothers me. They just don't "sound" like I think a psychologist or behavior therapist should sound like.

I know that's not very PC, but I wanted to be honest with you.

OTOH, if I met you out with friends having a beer, I'd love your accent. Have had friends from Jersey and New York and I love the straightforward, outgoing culture. And the accent.

But, there are times, for sure, that there can be a stereotype drawn about The Sopranos, etc.
I know the commercial that you are referring to andd it is not a NJ accent, it is a Long Island jewish accent....particularly the wife, Yenta city.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:28 AM

56,319 posts, read 54,748,439 times
Please don't perpetuate the stupid stereotype about the way people from New Jersey speak. A very small minority of Jerseyans, mostly from Hudson County, next to NYC, talk the way you hear on TV and in the movies.

This might give some of the people on here a heart attack to learn, but guess what? MOST people in NJ pronounce their Rs very clearly.

Regardless, if the OP is not a troll and is genuinely concerned, the answer is simple. Modify the way you speak.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:57 AM

12,698 posts, read 10,545,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Please don't perpetuate the stupid stereotype about the way people from New Jersey speak. A very small minority of Jerseyans, mostly from Hudson County, next to NYC, talk the way you hear on TV and in the movies.

This might give some of the people on here a heart attack to learn, but guess what? MOST people in NJ pronounce their Rs very clearly.

Regardless, if the OP is not a troll and is genuinely concerned, the answer is simple. Modify the way you speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.