U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 08:55 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,152,325 times

Advertisements

Which metropolitan area or city in the U.S. places the highest importance on personal appearance, beauty and attractiveness?

Every time I go to NYC, I feel incredibly ugly lol. So many people are in such great shape, perfect bodies and beautiful faces and physical features.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 09:09 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,210,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Which metropolitan area or city in the U.S. places the highest importance on personal appearance, beauty and attractiveness?

Every time I go to NYC, I feel incredibly ugly lol. So many people are in such great shape, perfect bodies and beautiful faces and physical features.
New York City
Los Angeles
San Diego
San Francisco
Miami
Las Vegas

Those would probably be my choices given what I know. I found this link though: http://www.forbes.com/2007/11/29/pla...lth_slide.html I wouldn't have guessed SLC would have ranked first.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:58 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,758,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
New York City
Los Angeles
San Diego
San Francisco
Miami
Las Vegas

Those would probably be my choices given what I know. I found this link though: In Pictures: America's Vainest Cities - Forbes I wouldn't have guessed SLC would have ranked first.
Las Vegas? Um, no.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Las Vegas? Um, no.
So when guys go to strip clubs, burlesque shows, bars where the waitresses wear bikinis and prostitutes they don't care about looks? A huge part of the economy in Las Vegas is based purely on looks.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
So when guys go to strip clubs, burlesque shows, bars where the waitresses wear bikinis and prostitutes they don't care about looks? A huge part of the economy in Las Vegas is based purely on looks.
You're talking about strip clubs (which are abundant in, but certainly not unique to Las Vegas), prostitutes (which, since prostitution has been illegal in Clark County for almost 20 years now, once again isn't unique to Vegas), Burlesque shows (also not exclusive to Vegas), and bikini-clad waitresses (there are Hooters all over America)... and that is hardly representative of the metro of 2 million inhabitants that live outside of that narrow sliver of neon called "the strip".

Besides, have you ever seen most strippers and burlesque dancers in the light of day, outside of a dimly-lit, smoke-filled room, when you're stone-cold sober?

Vegas is tacky-town, USA. To me, beauty and attractiveness aren't determined by strippers and scantily-clad waitresses with fake boobs, tanning bed tans, and too much make-up. I prefer classiness and a sense of style. The other cities in your list have that. Vegas really doesn't. In fact, it's pretty much the opposite of that.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:38 PM

Quote:
You're talking about strip clubs (which are abundant in, but certainly not unique to Las Vegas), prostitutes (which, since prostitution has been illegal in Clark County for almost 20 years now, once again isn't unique to Vegas), Burlesque shows (also not exclusive to Vegas), and bikini-clad waitresses (there are Hooters all over America)... and that is hardly representative of the metro of 2 million inhabitants that live outside of that narrow sliver of neon called "the strip".

Besides, have you ever seen most strippers and burlesque dancers in the light of day?

Vegas is tacky-town, USA. To me, beauty and attractiveness aren't determined by strippers and scantily-clad waitresses with fake boobs, tanning bed tans, and too much make-up. I prefer classiness and a sense of style. The other cities in your list have that. Vegas really doesn't. In fact, it's pretty much the opposite of that.
If the thread was titled "where do the most beautiful women live", I would agree with you. However the fact that fake boobs, tanning bed tans and too much make-up are so prevelant is because people there try to look attractive (but fail) which still means looks are important.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
If the thread was titled "where do the most beautiful women live", I would agree with you. However the fact that fake boobs, tanning bed tans and too much make-up are so prevelant is because people there try to look attractive (but fail) which still means looks are important.
Well then, by that logic, looks are equally important everywhere... regardless of what the results are.

It's really no different than people in the rural Great Plains states putting on their best overalls for a day's work plowing the corn fields. It's not like there's any place where people collectively wake up in the morning and actually try to look like ****.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Well then, by that logic, looks are equally important everywhere... regardless of what the results are.

It's really no different than people in the rural Great Plains states putting on their best overalls for a day's work plowing the corn fields. It's not like there's any place where people collectively wake up in the morning and actually try to look like ****.
Paying thousands of dollars for breast implants or other plastic surgery is very different than putting on your best overalls.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Paying thousands of dollars for breast implants or other plastic surgery is very different than putting on your best overalls.
Well then, I guess I stand corrected. I guess some people DO actually wake up in the morning and try to look like ****. They even spend exorbitant amounts of money to do so.

EDIT: Back to the OP's opening statement - "Which metropolitan area or city in the U.S. places the highest importance on personal appearance, beauty and attractiveness?"

If we're talking about cities where people actually succeed in doing this, then I would say NYC, L.A., SF, San Diego, and perhaps Miami.

If we're talking about a city where people spend ridiculous amounts of money in a vain attempt to do this, but generally end up failing miserably and achieve the exact opposite effect of "beauty and attractiveness"... then Las Vegas, baby! All the way.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 10-15-2014 at 12:25 AM..

Old 10-15-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Well then, I guess I stand corrected. I guess some people DO actually wake up in the morning and try to look like ****. They even spend exorbitant amounts of money to do so.

EDIT: Back to the OP's opening statement - "Which metropolitan area or city in the U.S. places the highest importance on personal appearance, beauty and attractiveness?"

If we're talking about cities where people actually succeed in doing this, then I would say NYC, L.A., SF, San Diego, and perhaps Miami.

If we're talking about a city where people spend ridiculous amounts of money in a vain attempt to do this, but generally end up failing miserably and achieve the exact opposite effect of "beauty and attractiveness"... then Las Vegas, baby! All the way.
So exactly the 6 cities I first mentioned. What exactly was the point of derailing the thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or