U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2014, 10:10 PM

11 posts, read 7,997 times

Advertisements

My company is leaving my state so I am seriously considering relocating with them. I am currently in the Detroit-Metro area (about 30 minutes outside of Detroit, 35 from Ann Arbor). The options my company is giving me are: Nashville, TN; Mobile, AL; Savannah, GA and Charleston,SC. I visited Charleston and Savannah in July but I know that visiting for a day is far different from living there. I haven't been in the other states and know very little about them. I'm researching what I can online but hearing from people is always helpful. I've included details on budget and what not below.

1. Budget

▪ I'd like to try to find a place that isn't more than 800/month for rent. I'm single so it would just be me moving and I'd like to not spend my entire paycheck on a house.

2. House/Condo/Townhome?

▪ I'd prefer a single family home with at least 2 bedrooms but knowing how expensive moves are, I'm ok with an apartment or townhome as long as they accept pets.

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)

▪ I would be transferring with my job. My understanding is they are located in North Charleston.

4. Children(public school vs. private)

▪ I have no children, schooling is not an issue.

5. Suburban, Coastal or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of them together (or even Rural)

▪ I'm use to Urban/Suburban areas (but I prefer the Urban areas and college towns), I like places that have a good nightlife scene, museums, social clubs... I have a strong love for Mexican food and the culture and would love to find a place that has Latin nights for Salsa dancing, to be able to speak Spanish.

6. Amenities preferred or must-haves

▪ Close to the water and downtown area (within 20-30 minutes from potential house).
▪ Mexican food, good restaurants
▪ Latin clubs
▪ Gyms

Are there areas that I should stay away from?
Which areas should I check into?
What is the commute times for these areas? I'd prefer to stay within 45 minutes of work.
What should I expect to pay for utilities, gas, groceries...?
Are there good places to go shopping? Malls? Strip malls?

I'm sure I have more but I think that is all for the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 06:37 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,351,954 times
As a single younger professional I would hands down opt for Nashville as it's going to far and away offer more opportunity for you in terms of social activities, though obviously it's not on the coast.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:26 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,965,178 times
Nashville for sure. I think Charleston and Savannah are fantastic for what they are, but Nashville is by far the largest and would have much more of everything you seek.

Old 10-15-2014, 11:40 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,047,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarahj View Post

6. Amenities preferred or must-haves

▪ Close to the water and downtown area (within 20-30 minutes from potential house).
▪ Mexican food, good restaurants
▪ Latin clubs
▪ Gyms
Wrong coast.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:10 AM

3,144 posts, read 2,825,934 times
Salsa dancing and Mexican food are from two different cultures. You should live in other cities outside of MI because then you would realize there is a HUGE difference.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:08 AM

14,151 posts, read 19,752,834 times
Nashville!

Old 10-20-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Salsa dancing and Mexican food are from two different cultures. You should live in other cities outside of MI because then you would realize there is a HUGE difference.
I do know there is a huge difference. They are from 2 completely different areas and I did not say that they were from the same culture. However, I did say that I like both and would like to be in an area that has both.

And perhaps I am on the wrong coast but my company is not on the west coast so south and east coast it is.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:52 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,479,895 times
Savannah or Charleston is closest to the florida border
plus it is on the east coast, basically the beach.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
Savannah or Charleston is closest to the florida border
plus it is on the east coast, basically the beach.
Close to the water is good for me. I loved both cities. If I had a million dollars I'd be on the beach but I don't right now. I have a friend who keeps suggesting Florida but I'm not sure about living there.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:17 PM

8,016 posts, read 9,479,895 times
I don't think I'd choose an inland state over a coastal state, but that's me.
Mobile, Alabama is on the gulf coast. You might like it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or