Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Texas?
The South 97 51.87%
The Southwest 22 11.76%
The West 1 0.53%
The Midwest 3 1.60%
Can't categorize it. It's just Texas. 64 34.22%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 01:38 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
" Is Texas part of the South?" ...... That was the Op's question. Texas was not broken down into parts or sections in this question or when it joined the Confederacy.. That's why Texas was in the south at the time of the Civil War. The entire state joined the Confederacy. Not just part of it. It's state lines have changed very little, if any, since then. That's why it's still in the South. It hasn't moved or I would have felt it. The correct answer is a simple...YES.

You sais it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 01:50 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I didn't say "Pennsylvania" was smart one. I stated Western PA is in the midwest. I have never, ever, heard anyone from Pittsburgh say they are anything but Midwestern.

Pennsylvania is a border state as a whole. It has regions that are very northeastern and regions that are very midwestern. Similar to Texas, it isn't really able to be put solidly into one region.
Yes you did, you said it twice now.

but its okay, you were close.

Midwest

Old 10-25-2014, 03:01 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yes you did, you said it twice now.

but its okay, you were close.

Midwest
I stated "Western Pennsylvania", smart one. I never said Pennsylvania as a whole is Midwestern. Ask someone from Pittsburgh if they consider themselves more like Cleveland or more like Boston.

My quote "That's because western Pennsyvania is Midwestern."

Old 10-25-2014, 03:03 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm aware of the region's position during the Civil War, which was more divided; it never had slavery (or a cotton-based economy) because of the terrain, which isn't suitable for plantation-style agriculture. Ironically, today it's not very rare to see Confederate flags in the region on license plates, clothing, etc.

There's a more pronounced Presbyterian presence in Appalachia South, but yes it is still MUCH more Southern Baptist than Presbyterian:

Southern Appalachia is also known for its fundamentalist Pentecostal churches, particularly those in the snake-handling tradition (although it's a fading practice): Serpents of the Spirit : In Some Corners of Southern Appalachia, Religion Is a Matter of Faith, Forgiveness, Redemption and, of Course, Snakes - Los Angeles Times

Again, the accents are still Southern (more of a twang than a drawl), the cuisine is Southern, the sports culture is Southern (NASCAR, college football), the music is Southern, the politics/ideologies are Southern, the expressions are Southern (e.g., "bless your heart"), the pasttimes are Southern (hunting and fishing), etc. Southern Appalachia is its own subregion within the South, but is still very much Southern.
I think of Appalachia as its own thing. You can think of it as just Southern if you want. Your opinion and mine could go back and forth forever.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:09 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
I stated "Western Pennsylvania", smart one. I never said Pennsylvania as a whole is Midwestern. Ask someone from Pittsburgh if they consider themselves more like Cleveland or more like Boston.

My quote "That's because western Pennsyvania is Midwestern."
The US census doesn't split states when they draw their regional maps.

Pennsylvania is Pennsylvania... east and west. and it is in the Northeast region of the United States.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:16 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,597,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Using the Civil War as a reference point, Texas is in the South. Using geography as a reference point, Texas is in the South (Brownsville) and Southwest (Mexican border) and West (El Paso) and North (Panhandle area). Austin? Well, Austin is in it's own world. You get a little bit of everything in Texas.
How, exactly, is "Austin in it's own world"? This is such a distorted and overused myth. Austin is just as much Texan as anywhere else in Texas. Just because it has become this modern day overhyped hipster kingdom doesn't take anything away from it's "Texanity" (for lack of a better adjective). People always try to separate Austin from the rest of Texas, which I find both laughable and annoying. Especially since it's the frikkin' CAPITOL.

So much b.s. in this thread. I can't even begin to address it all. After spending some time away from C-D and actually living in the real world for a while, it just boggles the mind to come back and read through the last four or five pages of this thread. The only thing anybody has convinced me of here, is that VERY few people understand Texas. Round and round and round these debates and arguments go, and in the end everyone is still just as misinformed as they were before. I'm just going to try and keep my sense of humor and let myself be entertained by it all.

C-D - it's a whole other plane of reality.

Old 10-25-2014, 03:40 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,037,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
How, exactly, is "Austin in it's own world"? This is such a distorted and overused myth. Austin is just as much Texan as anywhere else in Texas. Just because it has become this modern day overhyped hipster kingdom doesn't take anything away from it's "Texanity" (for lack of a better adjective). People always try to separate Austin from the rest of Texas, which I find both laughable and annoying. Especially since it's the frikkin' CAPITOL.

So much b.s. in this thread. I can't even begin to address it all. After spending some time away from C-D and actually living in the real world for a while, it just boggles the mind to come back and read through the last four or five pages of this thread. The only thing anybody has convinced me of here, is that VERY few people understand Texas. Round and round and round these debates and arguments go, and in the end everyone is still just as misinformed as they were before. I'm just going to try and keep my sense of humor and let myself be entertained by it all.

C-D - it's a whole other plane of reality.
I highly agree I bet most people on here never been to Texas but be the first ones to give a wrong opinion about the state on here.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:36 PM

2,004 posts, read 3,416,491 times
Well folks, although I went through high school in Houston (class of 1962), La Grange, Texas is my home town. We moved from there to Houston after I finished the third grade. I have lived most of my life in the La Grange, Schulenburg, Giddings and Houston areas. I know Texas.

Hey, Loney Planet Boy, Austin is a cool town. It's just a tad bit different and not in a bad way. Chill a little and lets have some fun on this thread.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:42 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Maybe he meant that there are parallels that can be drawn from the Panhandle all the way up to the northern plains states, but it's definitely not the north itself.

Old 10-25-2014, 05:29 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
I think of Appalachia as its own thing. You can think of it as just Southern if you want. Your opinion and mine could go back and forth forever.
Appalachia is its own thing within the South; the evidence is simply way too strong to suggest otherwise. Certainly it's not the Deep South but you're the first person I've ever heard say that it's not Southern. I was born and raised in the upper Lowcountry area of SC, and when I first moved to GA I worked in a mountain town in north GA and had never seen as many pickup trucks, Confederate flag paraphernalia, and camouflage hunting clothing in my life. The local restaurants served all the Southern staples I was familiar with, and the people were rabid Bulldog fans. My experiences in upstate SC (which I'm all too familiar with), eastern TN, and western NC also tell me that those regions are solidly Southern, no ifs, ands, or buts about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.