U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Texas?
The South 97 51.87%
The Southwest 22 11.76%
The West 1 0.53%
The Midwest 3 1.60%
Can't categorize it. It's just Texas. 64 34.22%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 05:39 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,883,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I stated "Western Pennsylvania", smart one. I never said Pennsylvania as a whole is Midwestern. Ask someone from Pittsburgh if they consider themselves more like Cleveland or more like Boston.

My quote "That's because western Pennsyvania is Midwestern."
LOL

Is Pittsburgh A Northeast/Mid Atlantic/Mid West Town?

Yinzers pride themselves on being Northeastern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 08:18 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,179,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
LOL

Is Pittsburgh A Northeast/Mid Atlantic/Mid West Town?

Yinzers pride themselves on being Northeastern.
Only 40% of the people in that poll said Pittsburgh is northeastern! Do you even look at your own poll?

I can take back about Pittsburgh being midwestern. But you stating it is northeastern is just as absurd as what I said.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:27 PM

15,593 posts, read 17,849,881 times
With the exception of El Paso, Texas is not the Southwest. Eastern New Mexico is not the Southwest so why would Texas be?

Lubbock, Amarillo, Midland, Odessa =/= Southwest

Mexicans =/= Southwest

dry grasslands =/= Southwest

Old 10-25-2014, 08:51 PM

2,024 posts, read 4,618,457 times
All of Texas certainly is in the southwestern part of the United States. Louisiana and Arkansas is in the southeastern part of the country and the border between these three states separates the southeast from the southwest.

Old 10-25-2014, 09:24 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,710,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73-79 ford fan View Post
All of Texas certainly is in the southwestern part of the United States. Louisiana and Arkansas is in the southeastern part of the country and the border between these three states separates the southeast from the southwest.
Yeah, there's an iron curtain between Tx Ar and La

Old 10-25-2014, 10:24 PM

1,573 posts, read 1,440,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Yeah, there's an iron curtain between Tx Ar and La
He has been watching to much john Wayne.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:58 AM

17,393 posts, read 19,675,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Southern is SOOOO much more than just an accent.
Yes, but without the accent there is no southern.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:33 AM

6,947 posts, read 6,257,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
" Is Texas part of the South?" ...... That was the Op's question. Texas was not broken down into parts or sections in this question or when it joined the Confederacy.. That's why Texas was in the south at the time of the Civil War. The entire state joined the Confederacy. Not just part of it. It's state lines have changed very little, if any, since then. That's why it's still in the South. It hasn't moved or I would have felt it. The correct answer is a simple...YES.

Yes, Texas is part of the south, but apparently you don't want to recognize why others consider it southwestern in nature. I'm just trying to provide a more nuanced argument.

East Texas is solidly part of the south. Anyone who says it's not is incorrect. Central Texas is less southern but still shows some southernness mixed in with some "south westernness". (These two areas comprised the organized part of the republic of Texas) West Texas is different than central and east Texas in many ways. Terrain is different, weather is different. Flora and Fauna is not the same. Settlement patterns were more southwestern in nature (railroads, ranching).

For instance in west Texas you are going to find Chili and Chiles to eat. Neither of which are southern food items. They are more southwestern.

Let's use California as another example. Southern California could (and is many times) considered "southwestern". However, the northern regions of California are not. They are Pacific Northwest.

As far as the borders? The republic of Texas was drastically different than the Texas we know today. When annexed into the Union in 1845 the unorganized territory went clear into Wyoming. By 1850 the shape of today's Texas was being formed by the Missouri compromised. Texas in the 1890's was forced to give up Greer county to the Oklahoma Territory.

Here is an excellent resource which clearly demonstrates what I am trying to demonstrate.

http://www.mapofus.org/texas/

Click to the year 1861. The organized part of Texas? Mostly southern. The Young Territory, the Bexar district, Presidio County and El Paso Counties of 1861 are the parts of Texas that I consider somewhat solidly "southwestern" today.

Last edited by eddie gein; 10-26-2014 at 06:57 AM..

Old 10-26-2014, 08:22 AM

1,974 posts, read 2,729,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yes, Texas is part of the south, but apparently you don't want to recognize why others consider it southwestern in nature. I'm just trying to provide a more nuanced argument.

East Texas is solidly part of the south. Anyone who says it's not is incorrect. Central Texas is less southern but still shows some southernness mixed in with some "south westernness". (These two areas comprised the organized part of the republic of Texas) West Texas is different than central and east Texas in many ways. Terrain is different, weather is different. Flora and Fauna is not the same. Settlement patterns were more southwestern in nature (railroads, ranching).

For instance in west Texas you are going to find Chili and Chiles to eat. Neither of which are southern food items. They are more southwestern.

Let's use California as another example. Southern California could (and is many times) considered "southwestern". However, the northern regions of California are not. They are Pacific Northwest.

As far as the borders? The republic of Texas was drastically different than the Texas we know today. When annexed into the Union in 1845 the unorganized territory went clear into Wyoming. By 1850 the shape of today's Texas was being formed by the Missouri compromised. Texas in the 1890's was forced to give up Greer county to the Oklahoma Territory.

Here is an excellent resource which clearly demonstrates what I am trying to demonstrate.

State and County Maps of Texas

Click to the year 1861. The organized part of Texas? Mostly southern. The Young Territory, the Bexar district, Presidio County and El Paso Counties of 1861 are the parts of Texas that I consider somewhat solidly "southwestern" today.
I'm not saying that anyone else is incorrect when they break Texas down into different areas or 'cultures'. I'm just answering the OP's question starting with about 1861. Then, IMO, Texas is the South and always will be.

Old 10-26-2014, 08:25 AM

4,802 posts, read 3,883,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

State and County Maps of Texas

OK, the argument for CHILES I understand. But CHILI? They love that stuff in Cincy and no one considers THAT town Southwestern. Southwestern OHIO, yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or