U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What is Texas?
The South 97 51.87%
The Southwest 22 11.76%
The West 1 0.53%
The Midwest 3 1.60%
Can't categorize it. It's just Texas. 64 34.22%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-28-2014, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,749,988 times
Reputation: 2258

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Well I know a lot of Hispanics from Texas and they don't have a southern accent either.
Go to Corpus Christi or San Antonio some time. You'll change your tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-28-2014, 07:02 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times
Reputation: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Go to Corpus Christi or San Antonio some time. You'll change your tune.
My personal experience comes from Mexicans in Houston, Dallas and points east. Every San Antonian I've met had a pretty neutral sounding accent, with the exception of folks from the east side. I've been to Corpus maybe twice in my life so I have no say on that. I don't doubt what you're saying though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2014, 07:10 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,749,988 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
My personal experience comes from Mexicans in Houston, Dallas and points east. Every San Antonian I've met had a pretty neutral sounding accent, with the exception of folks from the east side. I've been to Corpus maybe twice in my life so I have no say on that. I don't doubt what you're saying though.
My point was that CC and SA are predominantly Mexican-American cities, unlike Houston or Dallas. Houston and Dallas both have old and well-established M-A communities, but it's a much smaller percentage than CC and SA. Plus, in Houston at least, many Latinos are recent, non-Mexican immigrants from Central and South America. Most of those people really don't speak with any kind of Southern inflection. Many don't even speak English at all.

Also, I have a hard time believing that most Hispanic San Antonians you met spoke with "neutral" accents. Maybe the ones you met did, not doubting you there, but I have spent a LOT of time in SA, since my dad has been living there since 1979, and I heard the Southern accents from nearly every single M-A person I talked to. Thick accents sometimes even.

EDIT: Also, where are you talking about when you say "points East"? I can't think of any cities, large or small, that have large Mexican-American communities East of Houston or Dallas. The only cities East of Houston (within Texas) would be the Beaumont-Port Arthur-Orange area, and there are hardly any Hispanics living there at all. East of Dallas there's a few small cities, like Tyler, Longview, and Texarkana... and I don't think they have any significant Hispanic communities either. I could be wrong about that though. I never really spent any time in Northeast TX. Just passed through.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 10-28-2014 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2014, 08:08 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times
Reputation: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
My point was that CC and SA are predominantly Mexican-American cities, unlike Houston or Dallas. Houston and Dallas both have old and well-established M-A communities, but it's a much smaller percentage than CC and SA. Plus, in Houston at least, many Latinos are recent, non-Mexican immigrants from Central and South America. Most of those people really don't speak with any kind of Southern inflection. Many don't even speak English at all.

Also, I have a hard time believing that most Hispanic San Antonians you met spoke with "neutral" accents. Maybe the ones you met did, not doubting you there, but I have spent a LOT of time in SA, since my dad has been living there since 1979, and I heard the Southern accents from nearly every single M-A person I talked to. Thick accents sometimes even.

EDIT: Also, where are you talking about when you say "points East"? I can't think of any cities, large or small, that have large Mexican-American communities East of Houston or Dallas. The only cities East of Houston (within Texas) would be the Beaumont-Port Arthur-Orange area, and there are hardly any Hispanics living there at all. East of Dallas there's a few small cities, like Tyler, Longview, and Texarkana... and I don't think they have any significant Hispanic communities either. I could be wrong about that though. I never really spent any time in Northeast TX. Just passed through.
I wasn't referring to the actual sizes of Hispanic communities. Just the areas in the state where I've heard Hispanics with southern accents, be it in big cities or the smallest of towns, even if they were few in number. I'm generally talking about the eastern triangle and East Texas itself. Of course, the Hispanics with southern accents tend to be the ones who live in predominantly white or black areas with longstanding southern culture.

When I was saying that San Antonians I've met had neutral accents, I was talking about all races. Of course most of the Mexicans there had more "Latin" sounding accents. Your mileage may vary.

I'm sure KathrynAragon could shed some light on the Hispanics in the Tyler/Longview area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2014, 08:12 PM
 
2,070 posts, read 1,590,455 times
Reputation: 3348
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Yeah right. You know Hispanics with Southern accents? I am born and raised in Florida, one of the most Hispanic states in our nation and I have never seen that.
No seriously..that isnt uncommon here at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2014, 08:14 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,651 posts, read 36,118,702 times
Reputation: 63197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
EDIT: Also, where are you talking about when you say "points East"? I can't think of any cities, large or small, that have large Mexican-American communities East of Houston or Dallas. The only cities East of Houston (within Texas) would be the Beaumont-Port Arthur-Orange area, and there are hardly any Hispanics living there at all. East of Dallas there's a few small cities, like Tyler, Longview, and Texarkana... and I don't think they have any significant Hispanic communities either. I could be wrong about that though. I never really spent any time in Northeast TX. Just passed through.
Tyler is about 22 percent Hispanic - and that's only counting the LEGAL Hispanic residents. Actually I think that percentage is quite a bit higher.

Longview is at least 18 percent Hispanic.

Jacksonville is at least 23 percent Hispanic (I can guarantee you it's more than that if you count illegal aliens).

Those are just a few northeast Texas cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2014, 08:21 PM
 
Location: USA
2,779 posts, read 6,683,825 times
Reputation: 1866
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Tyler is about 22 percent Hispanic - and that's only counting the LEGAL Hispanic residents. Actually I think that percentage is quite a bit higher.

Longview is at least 18 percent Hispanic.

Jacksonville is at least 23 percent Hispanic (I can guarantee you it's more than that if you count illegal aliens).

Those are just a few northeast Texas cities.
Yes, Kathryn, those cities are significantly Hispanic. I go to Longview twice a week and there are plenty of Hispanic businesses as you well know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2014, 08:25 PM
Status: "RIP Solomon Tekah" (set 4 days ago)
 
1,223 posts, read 579,138 times
Reputation: 1183
On a whole, yes. There are good points as to why parts of the western part of the state is more SW but yeah, it's fairly Southern....just a different variety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2014, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,749,988 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
I wasn't referring to the actual sizes of Hispanic communities. Just the areas in the state where I've heard Hispanics with southern accents, be it in big cities or the smallest of towns, even if they were few in number. I'm generally talking about the eastern triangle and East Texas itself. Of course, the Hispanics with southern accents tend to be the ones who live in predominantly white or black areas with longstanding southern culture.

When I was saying that San Antonians I've met had neutral accents, I was talking about all races. Of course most of the Mexicans there had more "Latin" sounding accents. Your mileage may vary.
Interesting. I'm not sure what a "Latin sounding accent" is, exactly. There are so many variations. To my ears, people from Northern Mexico sound different from those from central or Southern Mexico. Obviously what you mostly have in Texas are settlement patterns from Northern Mexico, though these people have been living in Texas much longer than any Anglos or Blacks. In San Antonio, many of the city's Mexican-American families can trace their roots, in San Antonio, back to the colonial era when Texas was part of Mexico. Many of them don't even know how to speak Spanish, much less have any traces of a "Latin" accent. I know many M-A San Antonians who sound just as Anglo as the white people there... which is to say Southern.

Now, the younger generations have much more neutral-sounding accents, but that's true of more than just Hispanics. I especially notice this with my younger relatives who live in Houston. I have young cousins there who were born and raised there, never lived anywhere else, who sound like they could be from the West coast. I'm 50 years old, and from what others tell me, I have a very neutral accent. However, I have lived all over the country for the better part of 30 years, so perhaps that has something to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2014, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,749,988 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Tyler is about 22 percent Hispanic - and that's only counting the LEGAL Hispanic residents. Actually I think that percentage is quite a bit higher.

Longview is at least 18 percent Hispanic.

Jacksonville is at least 23 percent Hispanic (I can guarantee you it's more than that if you count illegal aliens).

Those are just a few northeast Texas cities.
Wow, never knew that. Like I said though, I have spent very little time in that part of the state. I just never did think of those cities as having much of an Hispanic presence, but I guess I was wrong.

Has it always been that way in those cities? Or is it a more recent development?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top