U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Texas?
The South 97 51.87%
The Southwest 22 11.76%
The West 1 0.53%
The Midwest 3 1.60%
Can't categorize it. It's just Texas. 64 34.22%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:03 AM

6,888 posts, read 6,212,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
So, Chicago's South side, South-Central L.A., Harlem, many parts of Brooklyn, North Philly, Oakland, D.C., Baltimore, and pretty much all of Detroit are traditional Southern communities?
As a matter of fact, almost all the black populations in these places were part of the great migration in the first half of the 20th century. Southern blacks moving to these areas.

You have no point here because you cannot dispute that fact that there are few blacks in west Texas compared to east Texas. There are huge populations of African Americans all over the south despite the fact that many have moved north.

Why are there so few in "southern" west Texas?

Quote:
Southern means Black and White. In fact according to some on this forum, Southern means Black and English descended White. I've even heard it taken to a level where the South must only be Protestant, too. Guess Louisiana must not be the South because of the large percentage of Catholic French descended people.
The fact that there are Catholic French Canadians in southern Louisiana is an aberration to traditional southernness. Louisiana is less in dispute than Texas because Louisiana is really not in a transitional living zone like west Texas is. The Cajuns are more like the Germans who settled the hill country in Texas. Infusing a non southern tradition into the culture.

Last edited by eddie gein; 10-29-2014 at 09:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 01:18 PM

15,534 posts, read 17,773,692 times
Quote:
So, Chicago's South side, South-Central L.A., Harlem, many parts of Brooklyn, North Philly, Oakland, D.C., Baltimore, and pretty much all of Detroit are traditional Southern communities?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post

Have you ever even met a Black New Yorker? There isn't a hint of Southern in any of them.
I grew up in Mount Vernon and the adjacent north Bronx, both heavily Black areas. I wouldn't call them 'traditional Southern communities', however, there are undeniable Southern influences. Most of my Black peers had grandparents back in Virgina, or the Carolinas, speech was peppered with Southernisms, "Y'all" was the de rigeur 2nd person plural pronoun, and Southern food was in just about every kitchen and not a few local restaurants.

Another generation has grown up since then, and the area is also very Caribbean (Jamaican, Dominican, Bajan,etc) so the Black culture there may be evolving, but the impact of Southern culture in New York City's outer borough and suburban Black community cannot be entirely discounted.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:49 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,756,590 times
Eddie Gein - lighten up, ace. I was never disputing a fact that I have been well aware of for decades (percentage of AA's in East TX vs West TX). And I'm well aware of the great migration and how those areas of those cities were settled by Black Southerners. I was expecting you to come back at me with that one.

Why are there so few in West Texas? Probably because during the time of the great migration there wasn't much of anybody in West Texas and not much reason to settle there. It was just a place they passed through on the way to California. Even today West TX is still very sparsely populated.

Also, classifying Cajun culture as "non-Southern" isn't helping you to make a case. Cajuns are unique to a certain subregion of the South, but they are just as much a part of Southern culture as the stereotypical plantation-dwellers and their descendants.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
LOL - my non Spanish speaking Hispanic neighbors have lived in Alabama for generations.
The only thing you are "lol-ing" are statistical facts from the U.S. Census Bureau. Besides, I was showing stats for three cities in TEXAS, not Alabama.

And just because you have a few Hispanic neighbors doesn't make Alabama some big majority-Hispanic area.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Craving Mountains basically loses all credibility when he thinks that the Black communities in New York make it Southern.

According to him, Pennsylvania = Midwest, New York = the South, Tennessee and Kentucky = their own special region, and Texas = Asia and Mexico.

Here is what gets me about all of this. No one would bat an eyelash at European immigration having any effect on regional identity. But if Asians and Hispanics live there, it must not be the South because you know, they don't assimilate and they can never be Southern.

Southern means Black and White. In fact according to some on this forum, Southern means Black and English descended White. I've even heard it taken to a level where the South must only be Protestant, too. Guess Louisiana must not be the South because of the large percentage of Catholic French descended people.

Some of you people really make me laugh.
Great points made here. I really don't get a lot of these posters. It's that whole "purist" mentality many people have about the South. As if an area can only be Southern if it has a significant Black population or protestant Whites. Somehow Detroit is more truly "Southern" than West Texas? I don't get it.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:23 PM

1,573 posts, read 1,432,649 times
Lol Detroit more southern than west texas

Old 10-29-2014, 02:51 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,160,286 times
Quote:
Craving Mountains basically loses all credibility when he thinks that the Black communities in New York make it Southern.

According to him, Pennsylvania = Midwest, New York = the South, Tennessee and Kentucky = their own special region, and Texas = Asia and Mexico.

Here is what gets me about all of this. No one would bat an eyelash at European immigration having any effect on regional identity. But if Asians and Hispanics live there, it must not be the South because you know, they don't assimilate and they can never be Southern.

Some of you people really make me laugh.
I NEVER said Pennsylvania was Midwestern and I never New York was Southern. New York isn't in the least bit Southern. New York is one if the few cities where the African American community has their own unique cultural niche going on. I wouldn't call New York City southern at all.

Catholic is not Southern though. Catholics have traditionally been quite aposed to southern norms going back centuries in fact.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:51 PM

13,311 posts, read 17,821,024 times
Quote:
The only thing you are "lol-ing" are statistical facts from the U.S. Census Bureau. Besides, I was showing stats for three cities in TEXAS, not Alabama.

And just because you have a few Hispanic neighbors doesn't make Alabama some big majority-Hispanic area.
I live in Texas. Oh, I forgot - US Census is always correct.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:54 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,856,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I NEVER said Pennsylvania was Midwestern and I never New York was Southern. New York isn't in the least bit Southern. New York is one if the few cities where the African American community has their own unique cultural niche going on. I wouldn't call New York City southern at all.

Catholic is not Southern though. Catholics have traditionally been quite aposed to southern norms going back centuries in fact.
So would you agree with my thread about Louisiana, then?

Old 10-29-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that poster tends to lose credibility with roughly 80% of his/her posts, as far as I'm concerned. He/she clearly hates the South and has some weird personal beef with all things Southern. I take everything he/she says with a huge grain of salt. It's fine if one doesn't like a certain region for whatever reasons, but if you're going to join the discussion at least get your facts straight.

Too many people in these forums let their personal insecurities cloud their fact-checking abilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or