U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Texas?
The South 97 51.87%
The Southwest 22 11.76%
The West 1 0.53%
The Midwest 3 1.60%
Can't categorize it. It's just Texas. 64 34.22%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 07:57 PM

29,946 posts, read 27,396,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Well, someone else, I think Mutiny, used people driving around with confederate flags in Appalachia to justify its Southerness. Which doesn't make sense to me as Appalachia was also opposed to the Confederacy. So at least some people do use the Confederate history to justify a place as Southern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Mutiny and I have had some very different experiences then. His idea of "Southern" and mine are obviously very different. I don't speak for or with him on this subject.

I'm just baffled why people in 2014 still refer to the civil war era confederate model when discussing TODAY'S Southern culture and identity. Maybe it really is still like that where Mr. Mutiny lives? I don't know. I grew up in Texas, and I rarely ever saw confederate flags flying there. In fact, I see that far more frequently in Northern Idaho, 35 miles to the East of where I live now (I live in Eastern Washington state). I saw those flags quite a bit when I lived in Arizona as well.

The confederate flag seems to represent a certain mentality these days much more than it does a region.
I never did this, as the display of the Confederate flag by the vast majority of Southerners today has very little to do with embracing a Civil War-era Confederate model. It's largely a symbol of (White) Southern pride for Southerners and was just one of many characteristics I listed that testifies to the cultural Southerness of Southern Appalachia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 10:07 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,753,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I never did this, as the display of the Confederate flag by the vast majority of Southerners today has very little to do with embracing a Civil War-era Confederate model. It's largely a symbol of (White) Southern pride for Southerners and was just one of many characteristics I listed that testifies to the cultural Southerness of Southern Appalachia.
From what I can tell, the people who routinely fly that particular flag in Northern Idaho are doing it to strictly embrace white pride. Being that it's Idaho, "Southern" has nothing to do with it. I've seen the kind of people there who fly the flag, and I'd be willing to bet my entire life's earnings that with them, it's strictly racially motivated. Some of the other flags and stickers that typically accompany the flags that I see are pretty much a dead giveaway to that.

I lived in Texas for almost 30 years, and hardly ever saw the confederate flag flying. I've lived in Eastern WA for only a year and a half, and have seen that flag almost every time I have driven over the state line into Northern Idaho.

Like I said, these days the confederate flag symbolizes a certain mentality MUCH more than it symbolizes the South. A certain mentality that I like to avoid at all costs.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
From what I can tell, the people who routinely fly that particular flag in Northern Idaho are doing it to strictly embrace white pride. Being that it's Idaho, "Southern" has nothing to do with it. I've seen the kind of people there who fly the flag, and I'd be willing to bet my entire life's earnings that with them, it's strictly racially motivated. Some of the other flags and stickers that typically accompany the flags that I see are pretty much a dead giveaway to that.

I lived in Texas for almost 30 years, and hardly ever saw the confederate flag flying. I've lived in Eastern WA for only a year and a half, and have seen that flag almost every time I have driven over the state line into Northern Idaho.

Like I said, these days the confederate flag symbolizes a certain mentality MUCH more than it symbolizes the South. A certain mentality that I like to avoid at all costs.
It's a bit different in the South though, particularly the rural South. As an African American, I'm not fan of the flag whatsoever and the history behind it, but in most cases, it's just part of the culture of many White Southerners and they don't consciously think about it. For instance, one of my former supervisors who lived in north Georgia sported a Confederate flag bandanna that he wore while riding his motorcycle and he was one of the nicest, most laid back supervisors I've ever had. Now could it be that he secretly espouses reprehensible beliefs towards minorities? It's possible, but if so, it never came through in any of his dealings with me. That's just not going to be the case with your typical, out-and-proud White supremacist. I think in other parts of the country, because they consciously adopt the Confederate flag to symbolize something in particular (e.g., White nationalism), it's more reflective of certain beliefs and attitudes than in many parts of the South where Whites sport it just because it's what they do. Certainly, for some White Southerners, racial superiority is part and parcel of their reasons for sporting the Confederate flag and paraphernalia, but that's not always true.

Old 11-01-2014, 04:50 AM

1,974 posts, read 2,716,867 times
Quote:
Certainly, for some White Southerners, racial superiority is part and parcel of their reasons for sporting the Confederate flag and paraphernalia, but that's not always true.
This is true. I rode motorcycles for 58 years and I wore a small Rebel flag on my vest to show that I am proud to be southern. I once had a discussion at work with a fellow worker that happened to be black. He questioned the fact that I had that patch on my vest. I told him that it represented the rebel in me and the present South, not the South of slavery. I told him that since he was southern as far as I was concerned he could wear it too. Also, my youngest son is married to a black lady and I have four bi-racial grandkids that I love dearly. In my opinion, too much time and effort is wasted on whether the present day rebel flag should be flown, or not. It's time to get on with being Americans.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:57 AM

1,705 posts, read 1,367,685 times
Texas is about as Southern as it gets honestly.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
This is true. I rode motorcycles for 58 years and I wore a small Rebel flag on my vest to show that I am proud to be southern. I once had a discussion at work with a fellow worker that happened to be black. He questioned the fact that I had that patch on my vest. I told him that it represented the rebel in me and the present South, not the South of slavery. I told him that since he was southern as far as I was concerned he could wear it too. Also, my youngest son is married to a black lady and I have four bi-racial grandkids that I love dearly. In my opinion, too much time and effort is wasted on whether the present day rebel flag should be flown, or not. It's time to get on with being Americans.
I don't think it has a place on government property at all, but private citizens are free to fly it on their property if they see fit.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:18 PM

1,974 posts, read 2,716,867 times
Quote:
I don't think it has a place on government property at all, but private citizens are free to fly it on their property if they see fit.
This will be my last statement on the subject of the flag. Like I said, it's a waste of time and effort to go any farther.

Old 11-01-2014, 12:41 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,848,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
The vast majority of German immigration was to northern states though, esp the Midwest, and certain sections of NY and PA.
So WHAT?

Oh my God. The vast majority of America's French descendants live in Northern New England and Michigan (aka the states closest to Canada). Yet they are a sizeable portion of Louisiana's population. Nobody thinks Louisiana is not the South. I'm tired of using ethnic groups as an argument against a location's Southern status.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:29 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,155,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
So WHAT?

Oh my God. The vast majority of America's French descendants live in Northern New England and Michigan (aka the states closest to Canada). Yet they are a sizeable portion of Louisiana's population. Nobody thinks Louisiana is not the South. I'm tired of using ethnic groups as an argument against a location's Southern status.
You don't get a say in it. Only people from those places get a say in it, and really only those people descended from those ethnic groups living in the South get a say in it.

Old 11-01-2014, 02:56 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,753,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
You don't get a say in it. Only people from those places get a say in it, and really only those people descended from those ethnic groups living in the South get a say in it.
If that's the case, then why do YOU get a say in anything about Texas or the South?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or