U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Texas?
The South 97 51.87%
The Southwest 22 11.76%
The West 1 0.53%
The Midwest 3 1.60%
Can't categorize it. It's just Texas. 64 34.22%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 03:19 PM

10,156 posts, read 6,485,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Most do not consider it a part of the south, so no.

Wrong! Most do consider it a part of the South. It is in the South and it was a Confederate state that seceded from the Union. How would you classify it?

BTW what some ignorant people consider makes no difference. Facts are facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 03:51 PM

867 posts, read 1,087,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Wrong! Most do consider it a part of the South. It is in the South and it was a Confederate state that seceded from the Union. How would you classify it?

BTW what some ignorant people consider makes no difference. Facts are facts.
It was also part of Mexico before it was part of the dead and deceased confederacy...so many consider it Mexico. How would you classify that?

Old 10-17-2014, 04:21 PM

620 posts, read 686,821 times
Texas should give their western panhandle to New Mexico.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:21 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,384,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And overall TX is completely different from AZ or NM, which are strictly Southwestern--right?

As a state, TX has most of the Southern hallmarks: was a part of the Confederacy, had chattel slavery, Jim Crow was the law of the land, is included in the Cotton Belt, had a significant amount of lynchings pre-Civil Rights, has several HBCUs, is predominantly Baptist, has the Southern drawls/twangs, is big on BBQ, etc. Of course the state is where a couple of different regions meet, but it has historically been considered Southern and it seems that Southern culture has played more of a role in its history and development than any other domestic culture.
I thought I made it pretty clear in my post that the far eastern/southern portion of the state definitely reflects southern culture, etc. I also stated that the western half of Texas feels very Southwestern, not much different than NM or AZ in many aspects. And while we're on the subject, AZ also has cotton fields, many natives speak with a drawl (not as pronounced as Texas, though), and AZ was run by the Confederacy during the Civil War, but AZ isnt southern in any sense of the word.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:26 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
It was also part of Mexico before it was part of the dead and deceased confederacy...so many consider it Mexico. How would you classify that?
Actually, Scotty011 is correct. Forget the confederacy part of it, the U.S. Census bureau still places Texas in the South. It may not be typically Southern in culture, topography, and climate, but then again neither are Florida nor Virginia (culturally at least).

People in these forums seem to have this strange notion that in order to be truly Southern, there has to be some across-the-board culture of Cotton, Black-majority population, and plantations. I really only see this on C-D. Having grown up in Texas and spending a fair amount of time in what is generally considered the "Deep South" (MS, AL, GA, SC), there are some very obvious differences, but not so much so that Texas feels like a completely separate region. And I'm referring to pretty much ALL of Texas, not just East Texas.

The only part of Texas that feels completely separated from the South is the extreme Western tip (ie. El Paso). What people always seem to conveniently overlook is that the South is a massive region. It encompasses many sub-regions where the local culture varies widely from others. Yet people always use this purist standard of the aforementioned "cotton/plantation/majority-Black" model to sum up a region that is roughly 1/4 the area of the continental U.S. I really don't understand why people can't accept that there are many different flavors of "Southern", and no one flavor is "more" Southern than the other.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
Texas should give their western panhandle to New Mexico.
No, they should give their actual panhandle to Oklahoma.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:30 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,384,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Some may consider it as such, but the fact is it isn't the Midwest. People can believe West Virginia is in China if they choose to. I prefer facts.
What is Oklahoma, then? I wouldnt consider it southern, its far more like Kansas than Louisiana, is it not? And I consider KS to be Plains/Midwestern, not southern or western.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:33 PM

260 posts, read 316,133 times
Southern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Imo, yes.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
What is Oklahoma, then? I wouldnt consider it southern, its far more like Kansas than Louisiana, is it not? And I consider KS to be Plains/Midwestern, not southern or western.
Oklahoma is definitely, without a doubt Southern.

Jeebus... was ANYBODY paying attention in 8th grade Geography?

Old 10-17-2014, 04:49 PM

867 posts, read 1,087,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Actually, Scotty011 is correct. Forget the confederacy part of it, the U.S. Census bureau still places Texas in the South. It may not be typically Southern in culture, topography, and climate, but then again neither are Florida nor Virginia (culturally at least).

People in these forums seem to have this strange notion that in order to be truly Southern, there has to be some across-the-board culture of Cotton, Black-majority population, and plantations. I really only see this on C-D. Having grown up in Texas and spending a fair amount of time in what is generally considered the "Deep South", there are some very obvious differences, but not so much so that Texas feels like a completely separate region. And I'm referring to pretty much ALL of Texas, not just East Texas.

The only part of Texas that feels completely separated from the South is the extreme Western tip (ie. El Paso). What people always seem to conveniently overlook is that the South is a massive region. It encompasses many sub-regions where the local culture varies widely from others. Yet people always use this purist standard of the aforementioned "cotton/plantation/majority-Black" model to sum up a region that is roughly 1/4 the area of the continental U.S. I really don't understand why people can't accept that there are different flavors of "Southern", and no one flavor is "more" Southern than the other.
=) Mr Blog, I know youre not feeling insecure about Texas being a Southern state are you?

I already know where and what Tejas is formally. I just don't care for confederates and their secret/subliminal infatuations.

Also Mr. Blog on a more serious note...I really do think that during this time and era in America where once sparsely populated areas have now become populated...there is going to be a different designation of regions and regional identities. North, South, East, West and Midwest just isn't gonna cut it. Like I said, I know what and where Texas is formally, a Southern state, but to be honest...the place is really a place unto itself and theres nothing wrong with that. Im surprised they haven't split TX and CA up into different states by now.

Oh yeah, you said "typically Southern"...what is that if you don't mind me asking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or