U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What is Texas?
The South 97 51.87%
The Southwest 22 11.76%
The West 1 0.53%
The Midwest 3 1.60%
Can't categorize it. It's just Texas. 64 34.22%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-03-2014, 03:18 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,853,507 times
Reputation: 2585

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I actually did live in Texas. For only two months. But I did live there, and I have dozens of friends in the Dallas area. Most of my friends are super super liberal and quite educated though, so are probably of the subset that tries to distance themselves from anything Southern.
Which is stupid because Southern doesn't have to be at odds with being liberal. Look at Al Gore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-03-2014, 03:36 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,166,291 times
Reputation: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Which is stupid because Southern doesn't have to be at odds with being liberal. Look at Al Gore.
Beat me to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,755,307 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I actually did live in Texas. For only two months. But I did live there, and I have dozens of friends in the Dallas area. Most of my friends are super super liberal and quite educated though, so are probably of the subset that tries to distance themselves from anything Southern.
Well, I grew up in Texas, my family goes back six generations there, and almost everyone in my family are well-educated LIBERALS who consider themselves SOUTHERN. So there goes your argument there, ace.

Besides, what sane person tries to "distance themselves from anything Southern" by living in a Southern state?

Your stereotypes give your ignorance away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Which is stupid because Southern doesn't have to be at odds with being liberal. Look at Al Gore.
And for a more Texan example, how about Ann Richards? Wendy Davis? Even Willie Nelson?

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 11-03-2014 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 04:01 PM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,853,507 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Well, I grew up in Texas, my family goes back six generations there, and almost everyone in my family are well-educated LIBERALS who consider themselves SOUTHERN. So there goes your argument there, ace.

Besides, what sane person tries to "distance themselves from anything Southern" by living in a Southern state?

Your stereotypes give your ignorance away.



And for a more Texan example, how about Ann Richards? Wendy Davis? Even Willie Nelson?
Everyone you listed is unquestionably Southern.

Nobody would question that Sean Hannity or Stacey Dash are Northeastern or New Yorkers. And if they do I would look at them kinda funny.

The fact that someone's politics determine their regional identity is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,755,307 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Everyone you listed is unquestionably Southern.

Nobody would question that Sean Hannity or Stacey Dash are Northeastern or New Yorkers. And if they do I would look at them kinda funny.

The fact that someone's politics determine their regional identity is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Tried to rep you here but C-D says I've already repped you one too many times.

Great examples, all. And then there's that looniest of right-wing loony-tunes, Glenn Beck... who was born and raised just outside of uber-liberal Seattle.

And then there's Ann Coulter, who was born in NYC and raised in Connecticut. Rush Limbaugh was born and raised in Missouri, a state that is only really Southern in it's Southernmost extreme (not the part where Rush grew up), and got his start in conservative talk radio in Pittsburgh... but I guess Southern = Conservative, in Mr. CravingMountain's expert opinion.

I won't deny that Texas' state government has been hijacked in the last couple of decades by extreme right-wing politicians, thanks in big part to redistricting (thank you Karl Rove), but to anybody who has ever spent any real time in the major cities of Texas, and not just Austin... they know that there are plenty of liberals and moderates who would quickly identify as Southerners, and absolutely despise tea-party politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 04:26 PM
 
5,368 posts, read 5,158,224 times
Reputation: 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Well, I grew up in Texas, my family goes back six generations there, and almost everyone in my family are well-educated LIBERALS who consider themselves SOUTHERN. So there goes your argument there, ace.

Besides, what sane person tries to "distance themselves from anything Southern" by living in a Southern state?

Your stereotypes give your ignorance away.



And for a more Texan example, how about Ann Richards? Wendy Davis? Even Willie Nelson?
You should debate with my friends sometime then.

A lot of people who are fiercely not Southern are moving to Southern states. The weather, cost of living, and taxes all tend to be much better down here. I am 100% not Southern yet I am born and raised in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 04:34 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,755,307 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
You should debate with my friends sometime then.

A lot of people who are fiercely not Southern are moving to Southern states. The weather, cost of living, and taxes all tend to be much better down here. I am 100% not Southern yet I am born and raised in Florida.
That's not even remotely what I was talking about. I'm originally from Houston, so I'm well aware of all the non-Southern transplants (many of whom are conservatives) that are moving into the state, and have been for decades.

My point is, there are already plenty of NATIVE Texans who are staunch liberals. Read.

EDIT: What exactly does it mean to be "fiercely" not Southern? You see, I have lived all over this country - North, South, East, West, and many subregions thereof. Occasionally I would run into someone who was "fiercely" anti-somewhere. Let's just say for the sake of this discussion it's anti-South. You wouldn't be able to make that person move to the South for all the money and warm weather on Earth.

Sorry, but perhaps you're confusing someone who simply doesn't identify as Southern with someone who is vehemently and passionately against all things Southern. I knew tons of people in Houston who had moved there from up North or out West, and they obviously didn't identify as Southerners. However, they were well aware of the fact that they now lived in the South, and that it probably wouldn't have been the smartest move to relocate there if they already had a deep-seated prejudice for the region.

Think about it.

Last edited by Bobloblawslawblog; 11-03-2014 at 05:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2014, 05:57 AM
 
4,802 posts, read 3,853,507 times
Reputation: 2585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
That's not even remotely what I was talking about. I'm originally from Houston, so I'm well aware of all the non-Southern transplants (many of whom are conservatives) that are moving into the state, and have been for decades.

My point is, there are already plenty of NATIVE Texans who are staunch liberals. Read.

EDIT: What exactly does it mean to be "fiercely" not Southern? You see, I have lived all over this country - North, South, East, West, and many subregions thereof. Occasionally I would run into someone who was "fiercely" anti-somewhere. Let's just say for the sake of this discussion it's anti-South. You wouldn't be able to make that person move to the South for all the money and warm weather on Earth.

Sorry, but perhaps you're confusing someone who simply doesn't identify as Southern with someone who is vehemently and passionately against all things Southern. I knew tons of people in Houston who had moved there from up North or out West, and they obviously didn't identify as Southerners. However, they were well aware of the fact that they now lived in the South, and that it probably wouldn't have been the smartest move to relocate there if they already had a deep-seated prejudice for the region.

Think about it.
This.

If I hated New England (I don't I actually love it) but I found some great opportunity there, why would I move if I am vehemently anti-New England?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2014, 06:41 AM
 
5,368 posts, read 5,158,224 times
Reputation: 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
That's not even remotely what I was talking about. I'm originally from Houston, so I'm well aware of all the non-Southern transplants (many of whom are conservatives) that are moving into the state, and have been for decades.

My point is, there are already plenty of NATIVE Texans who are staunch liberals. Read.

EDIT: What exactly does it mean to be "fiercely" not Southern? You see, I have lived all over this country - North, South, East, West, and many subregions thereof. Occasionally I would run into someone who was "fiercely" anti-somewhere. Let's just say for the sake of this discussion it's anti-South. You wouldn't be able to make that person move to the South for all the money and warm weather on Earth.

Sorry, but perhaps you're confusing someone who simply doesn't identify as Southern with someone who is vehemently and passionately against all things Southern. I knew tons of people in Houston who had moved there from up North or out West, and they obviously didn't identify as Southerners. However, they were well aware of the fact that they now lived in the South, and that it probably wouldn't have been the smartest move to relocate there if they already had a deep-seated prejudice for the region.

Think about it.
Sometimes people have to for work and such. All the time life puts us in scenarios where we need to live in environments that we don't want to be in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2014, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Phoenix metro
20,005 posts, read 69,439,584 times
Reputation: 10115
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Which is stupid because Southern doesn't have to be at odds with being liberal. Look at Al Gore.
And Bill Clinton, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top