U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Texas?
The South 97 51.87%
The Southwest 22 11.76%
The West 1 0.53%
The Midwest 3 1.60%
Can't categorize it. It's just Texas. 64 34.22%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 10:53 AM

5,412 posts, read 7,704,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Everyone you listed is unquestionably Southern.

Nobody would question that Sean Hannity or Stacey Dash are Northeastern or New Yorkers. And if they do I would look at them kinda funny.

The fact that someone's politics determine their regional identity is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Absolutely. As many Okies, I'm one of the most socially conservative guys on the block but I'm a Dem. And yes, my family and I, as well as many like minded Oklahoma friends consider ourselves Southerners.

Edit: The media likes to caricature Dems and Repubs, but many Okies don't fit the mold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 12:24 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,749,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Sometimes people have to for work and such. All the time life puts us in scenarios where we need to live in environments that we don't want to be in.
Sorry, but you're referring to a very small minority of transplants. MOST people won't move somewhere they hate, even when offered a smoking opportunity. I myself have turned down a few great job offers because they were located in certain parts of the country I knew I would be miserable in.

Most sane people will choose happiness over a pay raise any day, unless they're insufferably greedy... in which case I doubt they're truly liberal.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:18 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,840,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Sorry, but you're referring to a very small minority of transplants. MOST people won't move somewhere they hate, even when offered a smoking opportunity. I myself have turned down a few great job offers because they were located in certain parts of the country I knew I would be miserable in.

Most sane people will choose happiness over a pay raise any day, unless they're insufferably greedy... in which case I doubt they're truly liberal.
I personally won't move to the South even if offered a great salary. Not because I don't like Southern people but because high humidity in the summer, too much sunlight, and tornadoes don't seem like a great place to live for me. I am of course referring to Deep South characteristics here.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:22 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,155,936 times
Quote:
I personally won't move to the South even if offered a great salary. Not because I don't like Southern people but because high humidity in the summer, too much sunlight, and tornadoes don't seem like a great place to live for me. I am of course referring to Deep South characteristics here.
Maybe New Orleans or Houston then? Very cloudy cities with very little tornado activity

Old 11-04-2014, 01:25 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,840,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Maybe New Orleans or Houston then? Very cloudy cities with very little tornado activity
Yeah well they are both very hot, too. So no thank you. Also I don't consider a city with over 200 sunny days to be "very cloudy". You want to talk cloudy, think Cleveland or Pittsburgh. I guess you'd consider Baltimore cloudy, too, wouldn't ya?

Heat is ALWAYS a deterrent for me. I am ALWAYS hot and even in the winter time I sleep with the fan on.

Chicago has less sunny days than all cities above and still has 53.5% sunshine annually. This is a cloudy city. VERY cloudy cities have even less.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Yep. See, now that makes sense. It's also the exact reason I left Texas for the PNW. Not because I hate Texas or hate the South... but because I couldn't deal with the weather. It's also the same reason I turned down a couple of good job offers down there. What's the point in making a little extra income if I'm going to be spending all my time indoors for most of the year?

Old 11-04-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Yeah well they are both very hot, too. So no thank you. Also I don't consider a city with over 200 sunny days to be "very cloudy". You want to talk cloudy, think Cleveland or Pittsburgh. I guess you'd consider Baltimore cloudy, too, wouldn't ya?

Heat is ALWAYS a deterrent for me. I am ALWAYS hot and even in the winter time I sleep with the fan on.

Chicago has less sunny days than all cities above and still has 53.5% sunshine annually. This is a cloudy city. VERY cloudy cities have even less.
Lol you're looking for extremely cloudy. I guess it's relative. Houston has 275 days a year where it is atleast partially cloudy. That's plenty for me.

Cloudiest Cities in US - Current Results

I was just joking around with you anyway.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Yep. See, now that makes sense. It's also the exact reason I left Texas for the PNW. Not because I hate Texas or hate the South... but because I couldn't deal with the weather. It's also the same reason I turned down a couple of good job offers down there. What's the point in making a little extra income if I'm going to be spending all my time indoors for most of the year?
And on the other hand I wouldn't move to the Pacific Northwest for anything less than a 75% increase in salary.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
And on the other hand I wouldn't move to the Pacific Northwest for anything less than a 75% increase in salary.
You mean... we have DIFFERING OPINIONS???

Old 11-04-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
You mean... we have DIFFERING OPINIONS???

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or