U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Texas?
The South 97 51.87%
The Southwest 22 11.76%
The West 1 0.53%
The Midwest 3 1.60%
Can't categorize it. It's just Texas. 64 34.22%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 04:39 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,158,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Sorry, but you're referring to a very small minority of transplants. MOST people won't move somewhere they hate, even when offered a smoking opportunity. I myself have turned down a few great job offers because they were located in certain parts of the country I knew I would be miserable in.

Most sane people will choose happiness over a pay raise any day, unless they're insufferably greedy... in which case I doubt they're truly liberal.
I guess that is true. I would need to be offered an insanely high salary for me to consider moving to the upper Midwest or the Deep South. Midwest I like the people (except Chicago. I never get along with people from Chicago. They are the rudest of the northerners and they don't even know it.) but don't like the weather or lifestyle. The Deep South I like the weather but can't stand the people or culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 05:26 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,755,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
I guess that is true. I would need to be offered an insanely high salary for me to consider moving to the upper Midwest or the Deep South. Midwest I like the people (except Chicago. I never get along with people from Chicago. They are the rudest of the northerners and they don't even know it.) but don't like the weather or lifestyle. The Deep South I like the weather but can't stand the people or culture.
Yeah, I gathered that. The way I see it, the South is a massive region. Area-wise, the biggest, I believe. There are definitely many parts of the South I felt very uncomfortable and out of place in. And then there were other parts I felt very comfortable and welcome in. I really can't paint the entire region with the same brush. I can't even do that with the smaller regions. The South comes in several different flavors.

Like I said earlier, I left Texas because I just couldn't take the weather anymore. That, and I like tall mountains with trees on them. Just because Texas is different from other Southern states doesn't mean it isn't Southern.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:35 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,853,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Hey boss, I'm from Chicago!

Mystery solved.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:41 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,755,307 times
Yeah, I never got "rude" from Chicagoans, myself. Chicago is just a big city. I didn't find people to be any more or less rude there than in any other big city. The only part of the Midwest I found people to be generally rude was in rural Southern Ohio, believe it or not.

The Midwest is another really huge region that comes in a lot of different flavors. Kansas is a whole different deal from Northern Minnesota, and North Dakota is a whole different deal from Ohio, and so on and so on.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:35 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,166,291 times
Yes Chicago is as much of a mixed bag as anywhere else. I've known two Chicagoans who were two of the most obnoxious folk I've ever met, and I've also known one (who was from the most dangerous neighborhood in the city) who was a complete stranger yet came over to where I was sitting, started a conversation with me and shared his blunt for no reason at all.

Oh wait this thread isn't about Chicago

Old 11-04-2014, 06:40 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,158,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Hey boss, I'm from Chicago!

Mystery solved.
Shocker.

Old 11-05-2014, 09:47 AM

6,879 posts, read 6,204,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Yeah, I never got "rude" from Chicagoans, myself. Chicago is just a big city. I didn't find people to be any more or less rude there than in any other big city. The only part of the Midwest I found people to be generally rude was in rural Southern Ohio, believe it or not.

The Midwest is another really huge region that comes in a lot of different flavors. Kansas is a whole different deal from Northern Minnesota, and North Dakota is a whole different deal from Ohio, and so on and so on.
I don't think the northern plains should be lumped in with the midwest for this reason. The plains should be their own region.

Old 11-05-2014, 04:04 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,853,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I don't think the northern plains should be lumped in with the midwest for this reason. The plains should be their own region.
Well linguistically they sound a lot like us, at least. It's like Northeasterners (real ones, not wannabes) do share SOME linguistic similarities with few exceptions (like Southern Pennsylvania or South Jersey). Southern states share linguistic similarities like vowel pronunciations, and Western States share it, too. So, I do think at least linguistically, someone from Ohio (excluding Eastern Ohio like Youngstown) can sound a lot like someone from West River, South Dakota, despite the thousands of miles. Kind of how Virginians can have a Southern sound the same way someone from Louisiana can.

Transition zones interestingly do tend to happen around US Census designated borders, though the exception to this would be the lower 1/4 of Ohio, the lower 1/3 of Indiana, and the lower 1/2 of Illinois where the transition happens rather than the Ohio River where the US Census places the designation. The same could be said about Southern Pennsylvania being more of a transition zone even though it's still designated as Northeast.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:18 PM

589 posts, read 618,715 times
i feel like there is a dry south, and a wet south. the dry south is SW and wet south is just the south. i think Texas is more dry, so southwest.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:40 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,125,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
i feel like there is a dry south, and a wet south. the dry south is SW and wet south is just the south. i think Texas is more dry, so southwest.
No, actually most of Texas is either humid-subtropical or sub-humid subtropical. And climate doesn't make for an historical/cultural region, anyway. To divide between western South and eastern South would be accurate climatically speaking, but nothing about the true SW states (New Mexico and Arizona) can be called "Southern" at all. They have never even been considered such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or