U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What is Texas?
The South 97 51.87%
The Southwest 22 11.76%
The West 1 0.53%
The Midwest 3 1.60%
Can't categorize it. It's just Texas. 64 34.22%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-08-2014, 09:42 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,160,241 times
Reputation: 4349

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I did not move to Texas because I wanted to. It is not a place which welcomed me. I have a hard time with weather (not the heat), lack of green (SO worked minor miracles in our yard), influx of newcomers, food, oiled bronze and something rustic expensive for cabinets throughout the house - you name it. There is no Texas Star anywhere. Pergola floor - stone mason decided to cut two stars out of flagstone. Somehow it got to me. I found myself defending Texas like momma cat kittens when a guest brought up 102 reasons for it being backward, old fashioned and not fit for human habitation. Got here and it took me a while to get here. We are still at odds a bit but getting used to each other.
Lack of green might be an issue in the specific area that you reside, but it is not statewide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-08-2014, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,758 posts, read 36,172,094 times
Reputation: 63412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I did not move to Texas because I wanted to. It is not a place which welcomed me. I have a hard time with weather (not the heat), lack of green (SO worked minor miracles in our yard), influx of newcomers, food, oiled bronze and something rustic expensive for cabinets throughout the house - you name it. There is no Texas Star anywhere. Pergola floor - stone mason decided to cut two stars out of flagstone. Somehow it got to me. I found myself defending Texas like momma cat kittens when a guest brought up 102 reasons for it being backward, old fashioned and not fit for human habitation. Got here and it took me a while to get here. We are still at odds a bit but getting used to each other.
I'm not originally from Texas either, and I HATED it for the first year I lived here. It was just an alien environment...southern but NOT southern like I was used to (deep South vs "Texas southern" which IS different in my opinion), the Tex Mex influence, which I was unaccustomed to, the cowboy culture which was TOTALLY alien to me, the emphasis on livestock and oil - two industries that I had never really encountered before...I hated, hated, hated it. Oh, and the people - while friendly and helpful - also weren't the "bless yore heart" friendly I was used to - they are much more independent and dry witted than I was used to - sort of like, "We'll help you all we can - as long as you're doing all you can to help yourself." Actually, I really admire that mentality but it wasn't one I was used to.

Anyway, like you, I found myself being drawn into a reluctant admiration for the state and it's people. And within two years, I was LOVING it. Now I've lived here twenty five years and I am fiercely loyal to this beautiful, strong, independent state and it's people and I consider myself 100 percent Texan.

The great thing is - so do my fellow Texans. That's one of the things I like best about Texas in fact - if you love this state and are committed to bettering yourself and your community and the state, you're welcome as a Texan through and through, regardless of political or societal values. I really appreciate that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2014, 09:59 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,160,241 times
Reputation: 4349
Let's bury this dead horse (if only temporarily). The same points are being made over and over, and no one is going to change their minds on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2014, 11:35 AM
 
4 posts, read 2,918 times
Reputation: 10
Duh, of course it is! Questioning if Michigan is northern or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2014, 01:47 PM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,504 posts, read 17,735,931 times
Reputation: 30796
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
i feel like there is a dry south, and a wet south. the dry south is SW and wet south is just the south. i think Texas is more dry, so southwest.
By this logic, Chicago is a Northeast city. Because you see there is a tree north and a prairie north. The trees grow in the NE and the prairie is Midwest. I think trees grow in the Chicago area, so Northeastern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2014, 02:45 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,752,033 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
By this logic, Chicago is a Northeast city. Because you see there is a tree north and a prairie north. The trees grow in the NE and the prairie is Midwest. I think trees grow in the Chicago area, so Northeastern.
I'm not even sure what that kind of logic would do to us here in Washington state. We have so many different microclimates, landscapes, different kinds of vegetation, changes in elevation, etc. etc. that it's hard to keep track of them all.

In the state alone, you have the rainforest coast, the high mountain West, the desert mid-section, the grassland prairie Southeast, the Puget Sound island chain, and the low mountain Northeast. All packed into an area the size of the Hill Country in Texas.

Yet no one ever accuses Washington of being in multiple different regions. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2014, 04:17 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,160,241 times
Reputation: 4349
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
By this logic, Chicago is a Northeast city. Because you see there is a tree north and a prairie north. The trees grow in the NE and the prairie is Midwest. I think trees grow in the Chicago area, so Northeastern.
Chicago's amount of greenery is very comparable to Dallas', so I think of both as being on the cusp of the forested east and the plains of the central US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2014, 10:42 PM
 
10,167 posts, read 17,115,139 times
Reputation: 5741
Quote:
=mega man;37196189]Let's bury this dead horse (if only temporarily). The same points are being made over and over, and no one is going to change their minds on the subject.
I agree with this, totally. This ever recurring topic of whether Texas is Southern or not (or any other state, far as that goes), is old and weary. As you say, very few are going to change their minds and the same repetitive arguments keep coming up. And I am as bad about it as anyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2014, 10:46 PM
 
363 posts, read 617,769 times
Reputation: 281
I would say that geographically Texas up to about the 98th Meridian is the South and that culturally it continues to be southern until the Pecos river much like Nebraska Kansas and the Dakotas are midwestern up to the 98th Meridian geographically but stay a part of the midwest until further west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2014, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma
6,858 posts, read 6,191,990 times
Reputation: 6140
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
It was just an alien environment...southern but NOT southern like I was used to (deep South vs "Texas southern" which IS different in my opinion), the Tex Mex influence, which I was unaccustomed to, the cowboy culture which was TOTALLY alien to me, the emphasis on livestock and oil - two industries that I had never really encountered before.
These things, plus the change in climate and terrain mid state, and the unique Texas pride based on the combination of nation/state history and frontiersmanship being not that far removed from the origins of the western half of the state are why these threads go on forever.

Good job KA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top