U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Texas?
The South 97 51.87%
The Southwest 22 11.76%
The West 1 0.53%
The Midwest 3 1.60%
Can't categorize it. It's just Texas. 64 34.22%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 04:58 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,750,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757Cities Southsider View Post
=) Mr Blog, I know youre not feeling insecure about Texas being a Southern state are you?
Huh? What does this even mean? How did you get "insecure" from anything I posted? I don't even live in Texas anymore. Please explain this.

Quote:
I already know where and what Tejas is formally. I just don't care for confederates and their secret/subliminal infatuations.
Once again, what are you talking about? "Secret/subliminal infatuations"? You lost me there.

Quote:
Oh yeah, you said "typically Southern"...what is that if you don't mind me asking?
Read back on the aforementioned "Deep South/cotton-plantation-majority Black" thing I was referencing in my earlier post. And for the record, I don't cling to that purist notion of the South. I'm not hung up on what the South was over a hundred years ago, or which states were part of the confederacy, or anything else that has nothing to do with today's Southern states.

Are you from Texas? Have you ever lived there? Obviously you don't currently. I'm just curious as to what your insights are, relevant to the topic of this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 05:00 PM

91 posts, read 93,017 times
Ultra southern, but very unique too.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:50 PM

29,902 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I thought I made it pretty clear in my post that the far eastern/southern portion of the state definitely reflects southern culture, etc. I also stated that the western half of Texas feels very Southwestern, not much different than NM or AZ in many aspects.
The point I was making is that you categorize it as a Southwestern state when not all, or perhaps even most, of TX has a Southwestern feel while at the same time refusing to categorize it as Southern because the whole state doesn't feel as such. It just seems to be a contradiction.

Quote:
And while we're on the subject, AZ also has cotton fields, many natives speak with a drawl (not as pronounced as Texas, though), and AZ was run by the Confederacy during the Civil War, but AZ isnt southern in any sense of the word.
You can find several non-Southern states that have two or three of the characteristics I referenced (and, to be precise, only the southern half of AZ was under Confederate control), but it's the combination of those many characteristics that make it Southern. It's the same list I'd use to prove the Southernness of SC, NC, TN, GA, etc.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 10-17-2014 at 06:00 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 05:53 PM

867 posts, read 1,087,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Huh? What does this even mean? How did you get "insecure" from anything I posted? I don't even live in Texas anymore. Please explain this.

Once again, what are you talking about? "Secret/subliminal infatuations"? You lost me there.

Read back on the aforementioned "Deep South/cotton-plantation-majority Black" thing I was referencing in my earlier post. And for the record, I don't cling to that purist notion of the South. I'm not hung up on what the South was over a hundred years ago, or which states were part of the confederacy, or anything else that has nothing to do with today's Southern states.

Are you from Texas? Have you ever lived there? Obviously you don't currently. I'm just curious as to what your insights are, relevant to the topic of this thread.
LMAO. Well now, this is what Im talking about. Initially I was effin with you about "not being insecure" about the -inclusion- of Texas being in "The South" as I know some are kinda self conscious about it. I took this road of communication based on the fact that I never said that Texas was NOT a "Southern state" ...I just made mention the fact that it was ALSO once Mexico since people always like to mention what was once a confederate state...both being PAST history and not current...yet, you felt the need to inform me that Scotty0111 or whatever, was right. What is the need to explain any of that to me when I am saying something different? Usually the need to do so means there is a need felt by the purveyor to prove something. All in all, I called myself jokin around with you by askin that ( "I know youre not feeling insecure")...but it really aint all that serious or deep.

If I lost you on the "infatuation" statement...there are certain folks on here who are really speakin about the dead and deceased confederacy when they call themselves speakin of the South ...there is a modern day affinity for it in which they speak and that is what I was speakin to...it was not directed at your post.

No, Im from Virginia, cant you tell. Been through there...My uncle lives there and has been begging me for 15-20 years to move there...swears by SA...raves about Houston (cousin from Maryland lives there now also)...hates Dallas. Already gave my insight.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 10-17-2014 at 06:18 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 06:30 PM

2,343 posts, read 2,750,537 times
Quote:
LMAO. Well now, this is what Im talking about. Initially I was effin with you about "not being insecure" about the -inclusion- of Texas being in "The South" as I know some are kinda self conscious about it. I took this road of communication based on the fact that I never said that Texas was NOT a "Southern state" ...I just made mention the fact that it was ALSO once Mexico since people always like to mention what was once a confederate state...both being PAST history and not current...yet, you felt the need to inform me that Scotty0111 or whatever, was right. What is the need to explain any of that to me when I am saying something different? Usually the need to do so means there is a need felt by the purveyor to prove something. All in all, I called myself jokin around with you by askin that ( "I know aint insecure")...but it really aint all that serious or deep.
Wow. I certainly hope you're not a psychologist, because your little head game there fell about a million miles away from the goal post. And if that was an attempt at humor, it failed equally miserably at being funny or clever. I certainly have no pride to protect being from Texas originally. I just see a lot of geographically inaccurate b.s. in this thread (not referring specifically to you), and can't help but speak out on it. Let's say this this thread was about California instead of Texas, and a bunch of people were making claims that CA was a Southwestern state rather than a West coast state (which, believe it or not, I have seen people make that claim in other threads before). Knowing better, I would feel compelled to speak out on that. It has nothing to do with pride or feelings of personal security.

Quote:
If I lost you on the "infatuation" statement...there are certain folks on here who are really speakin about the dead and deceased confederacy when they call themselves speakin of the South ...there is a modern day affinity for it in which they speak and that is what I was speakin to...it was not directed at your post.
Well, if you read back on everything I've said in this thread, you will see that I also see all that as highly irrelevant to the present-day South (confederacy, etc.). Perhaps it was directed to someone else, but you brought it up in response to my post. Either way, I suppose that's where we're in agreement.

Quote:
No, Im from Virginia, cant you tell. Been through there...My uncle lives there and has been begging me for 15-20 years to move there...swears by SA...raves about Houston (cousin from Maryland lives there now also)...hates Dallas. Already gave my insight.
Yes, I knew you are currently living in VA, as it says so next to your username. I just wasn't clear as to whether or not you had lived there previously and experienced the nuances in local Texas culture for yourself, and whether or not that was informing your posted views and opinions in this thread.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:10 PM

18,635 posts, read 27,047,623 times
There are only two answers for this. With the South or just Texas. No other answer is acceptable.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:15 PM

29,902 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
There are only two answers for this. With the South or just Texas. No other answer is acceptable.
Right. I voted for the South here, but I really consider it its own entity within the larger region.

Old 10-17-2014, 08:20 PM

10,162 posts, read 6,488,427 times
Quote:
It was also part of Mexico before it was part of the dead and deceased confederacy...so many consider it Mexico. How would you classify that?

I could care less what some fools consider it. Is it Mexico? Answer=hell no it's the Southern USA. Get an education.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
Wow. I certainly hope you're not a psychologist, because your little head game there fell about a million miles away from the goal post. And if that was an attempt at humor, it failed equally miserably at being funny or clever. I certainly have no pride to protect being from Texas originally. I just see a lot of geographically inaccurate b.s. in this thread (not referring specifically to you), and can't help but speak out on it. Let's say this this thread was about California instead of Texas, and a bunch of people were making claims that CA was a Southwestern state rather than a West coast state (which, believe it or not, I have seen people make that claim in other threads before). Knowing better, I would feel compelled to speak out on that. It has nothing to do with pride or feelings of personal security.

Well, if you read back on everything I've said in this thread, you will see that I also see all that as highly irrelevant to the present-day South (confederacy, etc.). Perhaps it was directed to someone else, but you brought it up in response to my post. Either way, I suppose that's where we're in agreement.

Yes, I knew you are currently living in VA, as it says so next to your username. I just wasn't clear as to whether or not you had lived there previously and experienced the nuances in local Texas culture for yourself, and whether or not that was informing your posted views and opinions in this thread.
Yeah, like I was saying, it wasn't intended to be that deep or clever or humorous to begin with...you chose to read too much into it...explaining it to you probably makes it sound deeper than it is. What you are declaring as your reason to "speak out on" is what I was ribbing you about. Yes, I have seen people claim California to be a Southwestern state...either way it could be both in logistical reality but it is most notably known as a West Coast state if not, THE West Coast (by itself)...so if someone says "it was also once Mexico" it would be different than why I said "Texas was also once Mexico" ...because that corresponds to "once the confederacy." Being as though you chose my post to speak out on the location of Texas is why I sarcastically questioned "insecurity" because I never said that Texas wasn't a southern state in the first place...so in my mind Im thinkin "what are you telling me for" initially...but its all good.

It was in response to why I had initially made the statement, not to your post. But yes, I would imagine we are in agreement on that.

Youd be amazed how some people do not even look at the location next to the username. Nah, all that was used for informing my first two post was history. I was going to give in and move out there a year and a half ago, but something came up. I'll probably be headed that way next spring. My uncle is moving back to his beloved SA from Dallas area...might try my hand down there for a minute. Funny thing is I asked him about where are the older neighborhoods where the "old" houses where and he started telling me about all these housing areas built in the early 00's...lmao...apparently 90s and 80's housing is supposedly considered "real old" amongst the crowd he's around down there.

Last edited by 757Cities Southsider; 10-17-2014 at 10:51 PM..

Old 10-17-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I could care less what some fools consider it. Is it Mexico? Answer=hell no it's the Southern USA. Get an education.
You obviously do care. Is it the Confederacy? Answer=hell no it's in the USA (note: not the dead and deceased csa). Get an education, huh? You sure you have one? It's I "couldn't" care less...ironically in your case, maybe not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or