U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Texas?
The South 97 51.87%
The Southwest 22 11.76%
The West 1 0.53%
The Midwest 3 1.60%
Can't categorize it. It's just Texas. 64 34.22%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:17 PM

12,521 posts, read 23,138,720 times

Advertisements

Texas is waaay too large to call it one thing.

It covers several different regions.

Most people consider it "The South"...WRONG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 11:03 PM

675 posts, read 1,002,626 times
I think this map gives you an idea of moderate to heavy Southern influence. I would extend the boundary a few counties west especially in the central and coastal regions. Not so much in the north. With that said, a majority of the population would live in the shaded areas.

Old 10-24-2014, 11:05 AM

320 posts, read 474,893 times
Yes

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T5UV2G2L1tE

Old 10-24-2014, 11:44 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,744,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Here is a fact. East Texas is considered the far western extention of the deep south. The south culturally starts to slowly fade in central texas. Now most of the population in Texas is in the eastern portion of the state. A lot of Texans are culturally southern with a twang. So basically what I'm saying is if you ask a Texan if they are southern they will likely say yes because of the part of Texas they are from. Now far west Texas is where the southwest talk comes in but unfortunately a small percentage of residents live in that area.
I'll agree that visually it looks like some parts of the south, dense forest cover and small towns with town squares in the middle but that's about it.

Visually, not culturally.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:18 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,406,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Then what would you call Alaska, which is nearly 3 times bigger than Texas?

Old 10-24-2014, 01:10 PM

29,960 posts, read 27,470,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post

Most people consider it "The South"...WRONG.
California is in the same boat; it's Western but contains different elements of Western culture.

There are several subregions in the South, and Texas contains several of them as a Southern state, such as Gulf Coast, Plains, Deep South, western South, etc.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:15 PM

28,291 posts, read 26,300,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Then what would you call Alaska, which is nearly 3 times bigger than Texas?
Or what would you call Pennsylvania, which the Census places in the Northeast, but characteristically is more similar to Ohio than any Northeastern state?

Old 10-24-2014, 01:23 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,163,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
I think this map gives you an idea of moderate to heavy Southern influence. I would extend the boundary a few counties west especially in the central and coastal regions. Not so much in the north. With that said, a majority of the population would live in the shaded areas.
Now, I am curious about something. I have been to Dumas, TX and had to stop for gas and supplies. There were southern accents all over the place. I was only there briefly, but I want to even say that most of the people I heard had southern accents. Was that not normal for that area? I assumed driving in that it would be more similar in culture and sound to Kansas, and I can say that no one that I heard speaking in western Kansas had a southern accent. Lots of people in Dumas, TX did though.

Even then, the accent isn't the only thing that defines something as southern. I didn't see any black people for instance in northern Texas. For me to consider something Southern there has to be a substantial African-American presence as well. AA were half of the historical south's population after all.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:28 PM

4,802 posts, read 3,860,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfgsn View Post
Let me get this straight. You think Louisville and Texas aren't Southern yet you think Baltimore is Southern? You have just told me all I need to know about you.
I think he was being sarcastic.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:22 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,173,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Now, I am curious about something. I have been to Dumas, TX and had to stop for gas and supplies. There were southern accents all over the place. I was only there briefly, but I want to even say that most of the people I heard had southern accents. Was that not normal for that area? I assumed driving in that it would be more similar in culture and sound to Kansas, and I can say that no one that I heard speaking in western Kansas had a southern accent. Lots of people in Dumas, TX did though.

Even then, the accent isn't the only thing that defines something as southern. I didn't see any black people for instance in northern Texas. For me to consider something Southern there has to be a substantial African-American presence as well. AA were half of the historical south's population after all.
What about those areas of the south that are overwhelmingly white? Are eastern Tennessee and western North Carolina not southern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or