U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 08:23 AM

5,991 posts, read 8,311,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Nah, it was actually all the recent East Coast and Midwest transplants who ruined Portland.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 10:18 AM

9,967 posts, read 14,607,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Just wanted to make sure all the "____ ruined Portland" cliches were covered...

For the OP, honestly, are you looking for a vibrant big city that has what you've described or would you be happy with a medium or smaller place? Because there's places all over that are more traditional and blue collar still, but a lot of them are a little quieter and can be a little slow. Like Spokane, Washington or Jacksonville, Florida or places that are more conservative like Colorado Springs or Oklahoma City, but they might seem a little slow to some.

Or there's plenty of places with old school blue collar culture in the Midwest or Northeast, but economically they might be a mixed bag(and plenty of those places are starting to see or have been gentrified as well, it's just a fact of life in the modern urban economy). I mean, people I know from there always describe Cleveland as sort of no-nonsense place, but they're seeing some changes as well(just like Pittsburgh has been changing lately).

Though even in the most trendy places, once you get out into the metro it's often a much different story with a more conservative old school environment. I mean Denver doesn't have many younger "hipster" types once you leave a few neighborhoods, even Portland and Seattle are pretty average if you just head out to the suburbs. Most places in the Mountain West once you leave the few sort of "hip" areas are pretty much the domain of football fans driving pickup trucks.

Old 10-17-2014, 12:41 PM

29 posts, read 32,383 times
Default The Trouble With Gingerbread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post

^^^someone who chooses to see reality instead of self-delude.

Thank you.

As Min so succinctly responded um, no. The collective majority of the indigenous folks( I have quite a few friends born in PDX) here emphatically point square at Cali folks being the usurpers and destroyers of their once, unique and maverick culture. No, anyone who has any traveling under their belt and any firsthand knowledge of both coasts and their peoples, can firmly ascertain that it's the entire west coast -it's soooo trendy to be a liberal and intellectual- motif that has thoroughly gutted this landscape and made it into some disgusting vanilla candyland for care bears who decry gentrification yet are the very harbingers of such ethnic displacement and cultural ruination.

...Ya really simply can't plaster up a shiny new sign for a shiny new boutique, selling shiny yuppified baubles, and in any way, believe that you aren't totally power washing over everything that once originally was, and setting the precedent for glitter sans substance and dollars sans genuine service and kindness.

In my own humble opinion, Portland is now solely suited to those certain demnographics who have oodles of cash and a -sexy!- flashy, trendy, smacks-of-effort look about them.

I've lived in too many west coast cities with this one and only type of inhabitant just basically taking it over and repainting it in their own "festive" colors.

Me personally? I like real people. Not false fronts that are easily spotted a mile away and consist of nothing more than a few vague and very phony pleasantries overloaded with a saccharin tonality that is anything but truly caring.

Truth is, I'll never set foot in any major West Coast city ever again.

Because they're all the same. And their respective people are all one in the same category of cookie cutter sheltered young(or middle-aged) pretentious, empty, schemeing, self-serving pseudo-aristocrat.

No matter how small I end up having to downsize, I -will- find a city where the people are still people and not gingerbread men and women..

Old 10-17-2014, 01:00 PM

3,952 posts, read 3,485,687 times
What cities have you been considering?

Old 10-17-2014, 01:02 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,824,285 times
It looks like the questions have been answered: Living Car-Free In the Downtown Core - Can it be done?

Old 10-17-2014, 01:21 PM

29,874 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Fort Wayne, IN? Tulsa, OK? Hagerstown, MD? Bristol, TN/VA?

Old 10-17-2014, 01:46 PM

2,727 posts, read 5,146,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Try anywhere in cattle country: Wyoming, Montana, parts of Idaho, the Dakotas.
More than half of Oregon and even Washington could be considered "cattle country" too.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:48 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,154,807 times
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Old 10-17-2014, 02:25 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,193,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
More than half of Oregon and even Washington could be considered "cattle country" too.
I was in Yakima, Washington this summer and found it thoroughly Republicanville, USA.

Old 10-17-2014, 02:38 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,607,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust Wisdom View Post
As Min so succinctly responded um, no. The collective majority of the indigenous folks( I have quite a few friends born in PDX) here emphatically point square at Cali folks being the usurpers and destroyers of their once, unique and maverick culture.
Ha, ha...I've lived in Oregon for 15 years(and was born in California), and my wife and pretty much all my friends are people who grew up here, and honestly Oregonians and Washingtonians would blame the weather, the eruption of Mt. St. Helens, and the Holocaust on Californians if they could. I just think it's funny though when even transplants from other states start complaining about Californians, when there's just as many people from the Midwest and Northeast who move out here who fit the profile of what you hate. A lot of them these days--it seem like every kid with a beard and a bike is from Michigan or Massachusetts. Meanwhile a certain bunch of locals get rich and richer in developing condos...

Quote:
No, anyone who has any traveling under their belt and any firsthand knowledge of both coasts and their peoples, can firmly ascertain that it's the entire west coast -it's soooo trendy to be a liberal and intellectual- motif that has thoroughly gutted this landscape and made it into some disgusting vanilla candyland for care bears who decry gentrification yet are the very harbingers of such ethnic displacement and cultural ruination.
Everyone I know in Portland for the most part sort of rolls their eyes and shrugs at what's happening to the city with yuppification(and now a lot of old bars are closing this year), yet a lot of people still partake in going to the new bars and restaurants--or try to ignore it and just go hiking and fishing. The thing is though, it's not even the entirety of the metro area or the state(there's rodeos an hour south of Portland)--so the idea that it's the entire West Coast is a little broad. When I go to visit friends out in New England I see just as much gentrification in the trendy places--it seems about the same demographic as certain West Coast cities. And a lot of cities are going for that demographic, because they're looking to up their tax base and rake in some re-development dollars.

But honestly, most of the US fits what you say you want--most of the country in area if not population is covered with traditional conservative folks. Just pick any place that isn't one of the usually listed "top cities for twentysomethings to move to" or avoid all college towns...

Last edited by Deezus; 10-17-2014 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or