U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-17-2014, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,698 posts, read 23,717,890 times
Reputation: 35455

Advertisements

I think what the OP wants to especially look for is a city that is already doing well economically or one in which changes are occurring on a slow to moderate level. Of course that rules out those which are on a rapid rise to which everyone is flocking. When people stampede to a new place they bring the characteristics plus the amenities and features of where they came from with them. In time, the new city becomes compilation of all other places and loses its own individualism. That's the drastic transformation I saw in Portland over less than a couple of decades. Good or bad, the new city can lose the very culture people stated they were moving there for in the first place.

In the case of the OP, there is nothing wrong with him wanting to relocate to a different city because the one in which he lives is not to his liking. Different strokes. It's silly for people to get so defensive about it. It's a big country out there. Something for everyone.

I still did not want to relocate to the same type city as the one I was leaving when I made the decision to move. That's simply what the OP is seeking as well. So I guess the best thing to do is look and see in which direction the majority is going and run the other way if you are not looking for trendy or sameness.

The best cities don't tout themselves as such. They just exist happily as they are. I am thinking about where friends live and are content. The Virginia Beach area comes to mind and also Jacksonville FL. I believe these have been suggested. I don't know much about them other than the people I know who live there are quite happy with where they live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2014, 03:37 PM
 
9,967 posts, read 14,648,307 times
Reputation: 9193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The best cities don't tout themselves as such. They just exist happily as they are. I am thinking about where friends live and are content. The Virginia Beach area comes to mind and also Jacksonville FL. I believe these have been suggested. I don't know much about them other than the people I know who live there are quite happy with where they live.
I have family near Jacksonville--it's a very Southern city, seems very easy going for it's size, so it might fit what they're looking for--but basically much of the South would probably work for them outside of central Atlanta or New Orleans or maybe a few places in North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 04:17 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,698 posts, read 23,717,890 times
Reputation: 35455
Regarding Jacksonville, my friend who lives there was born and raised in New York City and lived there until her mid twenties, then lived in Miami for then moved to Portland and lived there for eight years. She moved from Portland to Jacksonville because she developed a very bad case of SAD while living in the PNW. She is a warm weather person to begin with so she decided to head South again.

She really loves Jacksonville and is there to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 04:53 PM
 
1,031 posts, read 1,263,990 times
Reputation: 1241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust Wisdom View Post
Howdy folks. My lease is finishing up in Portland, and after living up and down the west coast(SF, LA, PDX), I just find myself shaking my head at these people whom I'll carefully refrain from describing too scathingly. You know, the hipster, snarky, pretentious, effeminate, pro-minority, anti-white, socially brainwashed types. Basically the core demographic in any of the aforementioned cities. I need something decidedly more traditional and masculine. I need to get away from the cookie cutter liberal majority that dominates any major metro in the U.S.


Please, no Texas, but hopefully any smaller, out-of-the-way city that still remembers and celebrates its national heritage.


Thanks!

I've read much of this thread. I find it interesting. One thing I have been wondering about is why do you exclude Texas? Too much diversity (in the major cities)? Too ugly? Just a general dislike for the Lone Star state?

Last edited by Campeador; 10-17-2014 at 05:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Illinois
565 posts, read 823,603 times
Reputation: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campeador View Post
I've read much of this thread. I find it interesting. One thing I have been wondering about is why do you exclude Texas? Too much diversity (in the major cities)? Too ugly? Just a general dislike for the Lone Star state?
I wonder the same thing. I sort of feel there's a strong political element to OP's request; Texas might be a good fit based on average culture and the mentality of your average Texan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 06:56 PM
 
Location: Who Cares, USA
2,343 posts, read 2,761,011 times
Reputation: 2258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
I wonder the same thing. I sort of feel there's a strong political element to OP's request; Texas might be a good fit based on average culture and the mentality of your average Texan.
No major city in Texas is going to be a good fit, unless it's out in some suburb/exurb. Definitely not Houston, Dallas, or Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2014, 09:47 PM
 
29 posts, read 32,494 times
Reputation: 41
dc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobloblawslawblog View Post
No major city in Texas is going to be a good fit, unless it's out in some suburb/exurb. Definitely not Houston, Dallas, or Austin.


You're the one who's really thinking critically here and so kudos to you.



The rest are just lining up to find some way to besmirch my preferences that swim against the popular current of contemporary progressive politics.


So again, I pay them no mind.


This is not a political thing, nor a diversity thing. Rather it is a matter of remembering what makes places and people unique and not indoctrinated robots who all resemble each other in voice, thought and appearance. I need the other ones. The 'real' ones. I won't find them in Austin, nor Minneapolis, nor Miami, nor Seattle nor Atlanta.


Minervah understands my position so clearly because she remembers a time when there was a real magic in the air about Portland. When it was its own, when it belonged to itself. Cities used to be this way. People used to actually be interesting. America is on the fast track down, and to the truly savvy eye, the proof is not in the booming urban development and population influx, but rather the cold, indifferent, me-first nature of today's young to middle-age American. A perfect example is Seattle. It's a city that's growing like gangbusters on paper, yet for all its self-righteous intellectual decadence and hedonistic luxury, it is home to a dearth of socially maladjusted, snootily aloof, self-important, narcissistic types that wouldn't know the meaning of character and individuality if a Merriam-Webster fell out of the sky and conked 'em on the skull cap.


I can do better than that. And what's more I shall. I shall! -intrepidly raises his index towards the sky-


Virginia Beach sounds like it might be a hidden gem. Charleston, WV looked good, but I see the poverty level is very broad-sweeping and the severe industrial air pollution from the nearby plants seems problematic.


It's so hard to find a genuine city that has -not- been found by -them- yet, and ialso is still truyly livsable and has a true quality of life. A down-to-earth blue-collar city that's not completely overrun with crime(Milwaukee, I will never know ye).



You all have been so helpful, and to be very sure, I am a decent person with decent intentions. I just want to be happy, and have had enough of the self-mutilating freakshow circus that says if you're white and you are patriotic, and you are -not- for handing this country over to every foreign nationalist who crosses the border and then attempts to glut themselves from the proverbial teat of Americana.


I'm no redneck, no militant, no extremist. Sorry Charlie. Rather, I represent what is no longer 'cool' or 'acceptable' to mainstream America. I am an individual. I think for myself. I don't rely on false fronts and phony courtesy to get by in the world. I am masculine and confident rather than meek and androgynous.



.....I am the last American man.

Last edited by Wanderlust Wisdom; 10-17-2014 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: typos aplenty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2014, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Burlington, Colorado
347 posts, read 719,113 times
Reputation: 498
I know exactly what you're getting at and so do many others , plenty of people are trying to help, chill out and listen to them.

Findlay OH is old fashion USA in a larger town with a decent economy more so than anywhere else I can think of, but I'm sure there's plenty others. Sioux Falls comes to mind too. For bigger cities I think there is some truth to the "manly" list I posted earlier, lookup the criteria they used it makes some sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2014, 09:22 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
5,286 posts, read 4,177,286 times
Reputation: 4350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust Wisdom View Post
dc



You're the one who's really thinking critically here and so kudos to you.



The rest are just lining up to find some way to besmirch my preferences that swim against the popular current of contemporary progressive politics.


So again, I pay them no mind.


This is not a political thing, nor a diversity thing. Rather it is a matter of remembering what makes places and people unique and not indoctrinated robots who all resemble each other in voice, thought and appearance. I need the other ones. The 'real' ones. I won't find them in Austin, nor Minneapolis, nor Miami, nor Seattle nor Atlanta.


Minervah understands my position so clearly because she remembers a time when there was a real magic in the air about Portland. When it was its own, when it belonged to itself. Cities used to be this way. People used to actually be interesting. America is on the fast track down, and to the truly savvy eye, the proof is not in the booming urban development and population influx, but rather the cold, indifferent, me-first nature of today's young to middle-age American. A perfect example is Seattle. It's a city that's growing like gangbusters on paper, yet for all its self-righteous intellectual decadence and hedonistic luxury, it is home to a dearth of socially maladjusted, snootily aloof, self-important, narcissistic types that wouldn't know the meaning of character and individuality if a Merriam-Webster fell out of the sky and conked 'em on the skull cap.


I can do better than that. And what's more I shall. I shall! -intrepidly raises his index towards the sky-


Virginia Beach sounds like it might be a hidden gem. Charleston, WV looked good, but I see the poverty level is very broad-sweeping and the severe industrial air pollution from the nearby plants seems problematic.


It's so hard to find a genuine city that has -not- been found by -them- yet, and ialso is still truyly livsable and has a true quality of life. A down-to-earth blue-collar city that's not completely overrun with crime(Milwaukee, I will never know ye).



You all have been so helpful, and to be very sure, I am a decent person with decent intentions. I just want to be happy, and have had enough of the self-mutilating freakshow circus that says if you're white and you are patriotic, and you are -not- for handing this country over to every foreign nationalist who crosses the border and then attempts to glut themselves from the proverbial teat of Americana.


I'm no redneck, no militant, no extremist. Sorry Charlie. Rather, I represent what is no longer 'cool' or 'acceptable' to mainstream America. I am an individual. I think for myself. I don't rely on false fronts and phony courtesy to get by in the world. I am masculine and confident rather than meek and androgynous.



.....I am the last American man.
Well, maybe some posters are having a difficult time taking you seriously. No offense, but your comments do make you seem like the type of person who can see a problem everywhere but within. You use a lot of colorful and suggestive terms to portray anyone who doesn't think exactly like you as some undesirable waste of life. You're seeking advice from some of the same people that you are trying to insult.

Then there's the whole "No Texas" thing, which you made sure to mention without any real explanation as to why. It all comes off as trolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2014, 10:29 AM
 
1 posts, read 713 times
Reputation: 27
Stop masquerading your retrograde rants as a genuine quest. It's quite simple, your place is in the nonexistent past. Last american troll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top